The Official Howard Shore Thread

Jilal

It's the musical equivalent of a slightly uncomfortable acid trip. It's spectacular.

Hmmm sounds a bit too acerbic for me but I'll give it a try. The Cell not the acid I mean.

Yeah, I'm not sure how you'll like it. It's the farthest thing from anything "traditional". But it's just so freaking cool!

It's further removed from the general strand of our species' music than almost anything else I've heard. It's extremely far out.

Never seen the film though. What I've seen of the visuals looks very intriguing.

Indeed. It's that cacophony of so many various styles and musical languages that makes it so appealing and interesting for me.

Here's a clip Incanus:

It does sound intriguing I have to say. I really have to take a listen ASAP. :)

If you liked the more introverted aleatoric stuff in his Middle-Earth scores, you'll enjoy this. Like TGP a said, it's very far out.

The film looks very strange, but I'd love to hear the music in context. It has some cool moments from what I've seen on YouTube (the score that is, not sure what to make of the film...)

That sounds very interesting. I shall investigate this one. There are some reasonably cheap copies available on Amazon...

Karol

I wish they'd ported over the isolated score to the Bluray, I never bought this movie even though I liked watching it. And I'm a fan of Shore's more atonal stuff.

That sounds very interesting. I shall investigate this one. There are some reasonably cheap copies available on Amazon...

Karol

I wish they'd ported over the isolated score to the Bluray, I never bought this movie even though I liked watching it. And I'm a fan of Shore's more atonal stuff.

The spanish dvd have the isolated score!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah. As a composer I would also choose films like "The Soundless", "Utter Silence", "In Space No One Can Hear the Music" and "Night of the Music Snatchers". Easy money.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It seems like he's going to release the complete score to Se7en on his label next year for the 20th anniversary!

Concertos are getting a release next year according to Shore. The piano and cello concerto. Also a chamber music album next year.

• 2 months later...

Interesting choice of socks.

Yes that was the main thing I took away from the interview. Very distracting. I can't remember anything else.

I too was mesmerized.

But he gave really good background info on his early career, his working methods with different directors and even got a chance to advertise Doug's upcoming 650 page (!) book too. ;)

"Because you have a cameo at the end of King Kong, don't you? When you're conducting the Max Steiner.."

"Yeah, I've heard about that"

Karol

Yeah that seemed like a bit awkward half-a-moment there didn't it?

Shore's body language told the interviewer this might not be a good moment to press for details. I think he actually blushed a bit, the interviewer, not Shore.

Here's a new lengthy interview about Shore's career.

Some nice moments in there like 52:32 and 1:04:38

"Have you ever been to a premier of a film and said 'what they've ruined my music'?"

His answer isn't a surprise!

Thanks for posting. Excellent interview. Amusingly disastrous q&a.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Every now and then, I check Shore's IMDB page to see if he has any upcoming projects. Doing so today, I decided to look through his filmography for things I might not have heard, and came across some strange credits that I can't find anywhere else. Anybody here have an idea on these?

Dance Showdown (2013)

Lord of the Brush (2005)

Happy the Man (2003)

Every now and then, I check Shore's IMDB page to see if he has any upcoming projects. Doing so today, I decided to look through his filmography for things I might not have heard, and came across some strange credits that I can't find anywhere else. Anybody here have an idea on these?

Dance Showdown (2013)

Lord of the Brush (2005)

Happy the Man (2003)

Perhaps false titles of real films were put on there. The Hobbit was called Little Rivers on production.

One brush to rule them all,

One brush to find them,

One brush to bring them all,

in shrubberies to bind them!

Dance Showdown (2013)

Lord of the Brush (2005)

Happy the Man (2003)

Perhaps Lord of the Brush is some kind of parody that used his music and credited him?

On doing a little research, it turns out Lord of the Brush is a special on John Howe featuring Shore's "Suite for Richard," and The Dance Showdown has yet to get a distributor. No idea on Happy the Man.

On doing a little research, it turns out Lord of the Brush is a special on John Howe featuring Shore's "Suite for Richard," and The Dance Showdown has yet to get a distributor. No idea on Happy the Man.

I'd love to see that John Howe special. He is truly the Lord of the Brush (of the painting kind).

• 3 weeks later...

Howard Shore to Score Thomas McCarthy’s ‘Spotlight’

Howard Shore has been hired to score the upcoming drama Spotlight. The film is directed by Thomas McCarthy (The Visitor, The Station Agent, Win Win) and stars Mark Ruffalo, Michael Keaton, Rachel McAdams, Live Schreiber, Stanley Tucci, John Slattery, Brian d’Arcy James, Billy Crudup and Jamey Sheridan. The movie tells the true story of four members of the Boston Globe’s investigative Spotlight team who sacrificed everything to expose the Boston Archdiocese’s systemic cover up of sexual abuse of children by ordained priests. McCarthy also co-wrote the screenplay with Josh Singer (The Fifth Estate, Fringe). Steve Golin (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Being John Malkovich) and Michael Sugar (Big Miracle, The Fifth Estate) of Anonymous Content are producing the project with Nicole Rocklin (Middle of Nowhere) and Blye Faust of Rocklin/Faust. Spotlight is expected to be released this fall by Open Road Films.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2015/05/18/howard-shore-to-score-thomas-mccarthys-spotlight/