The Official Howard Shore Thread

Jilal

That'd be a real shame, if its the case.

But there's been very little available about this project.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2016 at 9:01 AM, Disco Stu said:

It seems highly unlikely less than 2 months out from release when there is still no composer officially announced.  It's most likely that either there is no music, or Scorsese licensed classical music recordings.

But I hope I'm wrong, and yeah I do see that at one point Shore confirmed he was doing it.  But that was 2014 and we thought he was doing Pete's Dragon up until like 3 months before it came out.

When did he confirm.

I got this 

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2014/11/04/howard-shore-to-score-martin-scorseses-silence/

And 

http://www.indiewire.com/2014/11/howard-shore-to-score-martin-scorseses-silence-more-soundtrack-news-270544/

Saying he confirmed to Hollywood reporter. Both link to this article below as the source

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/lord-rings-composer-howard-shore-745730

And he does not even mention Silence in this article? 

Directors are depriving the world of more Shore and I'm unhappy about this. 

I'd love to see him getting one of the Fantastic Beasts films. Preferably once Yates has moved on from the franchise. 

Spotlight is great though, I'd be happy to see him get a few more slow dramas like that.

Cronenberg anything in the pipeline? 

Looking to fill out my collection a bit. Currently consists of: all middle-earth stuff. Hugo. Eastern Promises. A History of Violence. A Dangerous Method. Soul of the Ultimate Nation. A Palace Among the Ruins. 

What are the essentials I need?

Currently looking at some combination of:

The Fly

Seven

Crash

Naked Lunch

Dead Ringers.

The Fly is an essential as any work Howard Shore has ever done.

Se7en is a seminal work. But doesn't necessarily make a great smooth listen. The Silence of the Lambs is not quite as bleak and it makes for a nice autumnal listen. The opening and closing tracks are outstanding. Another thriller scores that's worth checking out is Edge of Darkness. Probably not as original as the other two but offers a nice and brutal soundscape.

Dead Ringers is probably among the most accessible scores for a David Cronenberg film. Much more so than the other two you listed. If you need something more easy going go for Eastern Promises.

The Cell is another heavy Shore score. It's where his aleatoric method comes from. Difficult but interesting listen and study.

Out of more accessible scores I'd also give The Departed a go. It's written essentially for a collection of guitar performances (both acoustic and electric) and string section.

Last but definitely not least.... The Aviator. One of the finest works Shore has ever produced and one single work that influenced many Howard Shore scores and concert pieces of the past 12 years. It's almost a shame that the film features very little of what Shore recorded.

And, of course, don't forget about Ruin and Memory piano concerto. Which is absolutely lovely. Cello one is good too. Both desperately need a CD release. Preferably together.

Karol - who has really warmed up to The Last Mimzy over the years

6 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Looking to fill out my collection a bit. Currently consists of: all middle-earth stuff. Hugo. Eastern Promises. A History of Violence. A Dangerous Method. Soul of the Ultimate Nation. A Palace Among the Ruins. 

The Fly

Seven

Crash

Naked Lunch

Dead Ringers.

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

The Fly is an essential as any work Howard Shore has ever done.

Se7en is a seminal work. But doesn't necessarily make a great smooth listen. The Silence of the Lambs is not quite as bleak and it makes for a nice autumnal listen. The opening and closing tracks are outstanding. Another thriller scores that's worth checking out is Edge of Darkness. Probably not as original as the other two but offers a nice and brutal soundscape.

Dead Ringers is probably among the most accessible scores for a David Cronenberg film. Much more so than the other two you listed. If you need something more easy going go for Eastern Promises.

The Cell is another heavy Shore score. It's where his aleatoric method comes from. Difficult but interesting listen and study.

Out of more accessible scores I'd also give The Departed a go. It's written essentially for a collection of guitar performances (both acoustic and electric) and string section.

Last but definitely not least.... The Aviator. One of the finest works Shore has ever produced and one single work that influenced many Howard Shore scores and concert pieces of the past 12 years. It's almost a shame that the film features very little of what Shore recorded.

And, of course, don't forget about Ruin and Memory piano concerto. Which is absolutely lovely. Cello one is good too. Both desperately need a CD release. Preferably together.

Karol - who has really warmed up to The Last Mimzy over the years

I'd agree with all of those, but I'd put The Cell, Naked Lunch, and Edge of Darkness at the top of the list (just my personal preference).  One lesser-known score Karol left out that's excellent is Jimmy P.  It's a gorgeous smaller chamber score in the vein of Doubt or Denial, but tops both of those.  Looking for Richard is another great one - just breathtaking choral writing.

The Cell is my favourite non-LOTR Shore score. If you liked the really wild, aleatoric bits of Middle-Earth, The Cell will be like one wild LSD trip for your pleasure.

Other than that, Karol's list is spot on. Heard bits of Jimmy P., wasn't as taken with it, but I'll check it out again sometime. 

7 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

The Fly

Seven

Crash

Naked Lunch

Dead Ringers.

Silence of the Lambs and Naked Lunch are a couple of 1990's Shore scores I would certainly recommend as very emblematic of his style both in the brooding thriller style and experimental side (blending of free jazz and orchestra). If you are searching ot hear some of the roots of his Middle-earth music you should also check out Looking for Richard, which is an impressive if sombre orchestra and chorus concoction.

But those titles on your list are also a very good place to start to get a wide view of his range.

Lots to consider here. Thanks everybody. 

I think I'm going to avoid stuff that's available on Spotify for the most part (Fly, Aviator, Departed etc.) and go for some of the mor obscure stuff maybe. The weird Cronenberg stuff doesn't phase me. I'm happy to jump in!

3 hours ago, Alex Shore said:

And "The Yards". With the most beautiful english horn solos ever written.

51FC6FRBCYL.jpg

Thanks for this recommendation, Alex.  I hadn't come across this one before, but enjoyed it very much.  The Saturn book-ends work well too :) 

• 2 weeks later...

The first part of the exclusive interview to Howard Shore:

http://elanillounico.com/howard-shore-llevo-en-mi-corazon-toda-la-obra-de-tolkien/

Only in spanish, at the moment, but easy to understand with google translator.

Soon, the second part.

PS: There's a glimpse about "The  Music of the Hobbit Films"...

20 hours ago, crocodile said:

Awesome. Love both works.

Howard Shore seems to like the word "ruin", doesn't he?

Karol

Of course!  It's what made him the perfect man to write music to accompany Tolkien!

• 2 months later...

A friend sent me this Washington Post profile on Shore from December and I thought it was worth sharing:

Before he won Oscars for his music, composer Howard Shore helped kick off SNL

I love the Cronenberg quote: the emotion Shore is especially gifted at evoking is “the strange and terrible sensuality of loss.”

• 2 weeks later...

I was just about to link that same article! Guess I was too late!

It offers some good insight on his career.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems quite fitting, given how much the two share in style. Congratulations Howie!

• 4 weeks later...

Back then Shore was writing under the pseudonym "Howard Hanson". Think he was really ashamed that he was writing concert music.

Karol

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Doug obviously needs to take a break from Howard Shore's work.

Hey... Ridley's words, not Doug's.

But Scott definitely meant Howard Hanson.  When Alien was released, Shore was still the SNL music director, had only scored one low-budget film, and (as far as I know) hadn't published any concert pieces yet.

But he's been told he's wrong!

For those who don't want to listen to the whole thing:

In 2004, I released the whole work, all the complete recordings, and it's a 10-CD release. And that really constitues almost all of everything that I wrote. I think there's probably still music that I wrote that might not have made it in even the Complete Recordings I'm told by fans who are really knowledgeable about the work that I did.

Shore sounds really tired here...

He really doesn't care about LOTR anymore and would rather talk about his concert works.

LOTR was just a project he took on for a few years but no longer represents him musically.

He feels that, in the long run, it negatively affected his career.

There is some truth to that!

The fact that the interviewer doesn't particularly seems interested in the topic at hand doesn't help either.

"Oh, that's... nice..."

"I'm sure people... will be... interested..."

Sounds like two people who would rather be elsewhere, doing something else than having this interview!

He's certainly more than earned his semi-retirement from film scoring.

44 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

In 2004, I released the whole work, all the complete recordings, and it's a 10-CD release. And that really constitues almost all of everything that I wrote. I think there's probably still music that I wrote that might not have made it in even the Complete Recordings I'm told by fans who are really knowledgeable about the work that I did.

I enjoyed the pause right before "...really knowledgeable" like he was searching for the polite way to say "obsessive weirdos who need to get a life."

I doubt Shore is fed up of LOTR. I bet the Hobbit experience of not being 100% involved in every aspect of the score probably put a downer on it for him, but his passion is still there for LOTR in general I believe. He was completely obsessed with it for about 10 years straight, but now wants to move into new stuff, but still cares a great deal about it all, it seems. He is also attending the Krakow Film Music Festival this year and they are performing a LOTR suite that he personally oversaw and signed off on apparently. 

35 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I enjoyed the pause right before "...really knowledgeable" like he was searching for the polite way to say "obsessive weirdos who need to get a life."

He was wondering if he should mention JWFAN or not ("gkgyver is probably listening. I should be careful..."). ;)

• 1 month later...