The Official Howard Shore Thread

Jilal

That is quite a one-LotR-sided playlist, curated or not. So many missing important Shore scores.

No Aviator, no deal.

This is also when I sadly discover that the Nobody's Fool OST is not available on Spotify.  One of my favorite Shore scores.

12 hours ago, Incanus said:

So many missing important Shore scores.

That's putting it mildly.  There's one track in the entire playlist that isn't either Middle-Earth or Twilight, and that one track is from Spotlight.  I can understand there being omissions when there's such a large body of work, but this is on par with making a "This is John Williams" list but having it contain only SW (with the focus on TFA and the Prequels, yet making sure there's room to throw in "Jedi Rocks" and Burtt's Arena cue), KOTCS, and, just to shake things up, one single cue from Stepmom.

Just wanted to point out how brilliant and subtle the part-writing during the opening of Balin's Tomb is.  It's sort of Sibelian, especially the clarinets, and the 3rd and 4th trumpets, and the trombones - beautiful crossing of voices with the bass trombone jumping over 1 and 2 at the big Dwarrowdelf shot.  Easily lost in the full texture, but when you look at elements from these scores like this one under a microscope you see why everything fuses together in such a sonorous and satisfying way.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in a very Kilar-esque mood tonight, and I was reminded how much of a "spiritual" mentor this man must have been for Shore. I wish he embraced his earlier fondness for the Polish school more often in his concert works.

On 14. April 2017 at 2:16 PM, Stefancos said:

He really doesn't care about LOTR anymore and would rather talk about his concert works.

LOTR was just a project he took on for a few years but no longer represents him musically.

He feels that, in the long run, it negatively affected his career.

Wow, that's some bullshit.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jay said:

Very first track features more Enya than Shore.  Nice job, Spotify

That was almost two months ago!

• 2 months later...

Honestly they should have just not bothered with any LOTR/Hobbit cues and just release a second volume called "Essential Middle-Earth" or whatever.  There's not enough there from those movies to call it a representative sampling and they could have used the space for other non-Tolkien cues.

The Essential Howard Shore

DISC ONE
Ed Wood (1994) “Main Title”
Crash (1996) “Crash”
After Hours (1985) “9PM”
Dead Ringers (1989) “Main Title”
The Silence of the Lambs (1991) “Main Title”
The Departed (2006) “Cops or Criminals”
Hugo (2011) “Coeur volant” performed by Zaz
Hugo (2011) “The Magician”
Eastern Promises (2008) “Eastern Promises”
Eastern Promises (2008) “Tatiana”
The Aviator (2004) “Icarus”
A History of Violence (2007) “The Staircase”
The Score (2001) “Bye Bye”
The Brood (1979) “Main Title”
Scanners (1981) “Main Title”
Esther Kahn (2000) “Five in the Gods / Lessons”
Esther Kahn (2000) “You Are Like A Diamond”
Naked Lunch (1992) “Naked Lunch”
Videodrome (1982) “A Slow Burn”
Twilight: Eclipse (2010) “Mountain Peak/Jacob’s Theme”
Big (1986) “Opening”

DISC TWO
Mrs. Doubtfire (1993) “Mrs. Doubtfire”
The Fly (1986) “Main Title”
Philadelphia (1994) “Senior Associate Andrew Beckett”
Philadelphia (1994) “Minor Catastrophe”
The Last Mimzy (2007) “Hello (I Love You)” performed by Roger Waters
The Game (1997) “Happy Birthday, Nicholas”
Spotlight (2015) “Investigative Journalism / The Story Breaks”
Se7en (1996) “Apartment #604”
Panic Room (2002) “Main Title”
Looking for Richard (1996) “Richard, Duke of York”
Nobody’s Fool (1994) “Main Title”
Before and After (1996) “Jacob’s Gone”
LOTR: FOTR (2001) “The Prophecy”
LOTR: FOTR (2001) “Concerning Hobbits”
LOTR: TTT (2002) “Gollum’s Song” performed by Emiliana Torrini
LOTR: ROTK (2003) “Into the West” performed by Annie Lennox
The Hobbit: AUJ (2012) “Dreaming of Bag End”
The Hobbit: DOS (2013) “Beyond the Forest”
The Hobbit: BOTFA (2014) “Ironfoot”

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Honestly they should have just not bothered with any LOTR/Hobbit cues and just release a second volume called "Essential Middle-Earth" or whatever.  There's not enough there from those movies to call it a representative sampling and they could have used the space for other non-Tolkien cues.

They put only the end credit songs from TTT and RotK on this compilation feels very inadequate. Although what could ever quite encapsulate the mammoth efforts in single tracks is a good question.  At least the Hobbit scores had varying length end credit suites.

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

They put only the end credit songs from TTT and RotK on this compilation feels very inadequate. Although what could ever quite encapsulate the mammoth efforts in single tracks is a good question.

They could just put the entire extended end credits sequence from each of the three films, including the "fan club" end credits from the EE's, on a single disc. Haven't listened to those in quite some time, but that's around an hour of music and I think that would give you highlights from most of the major themes.

Can't remember how well those were arranged though, and if they included any extended or alternate cues.

18 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

and if they included any extended or alternate cues.

I actually remember on my last watch I was disappointed how this was the perfect opportunity to present good alternates and they did not use it.

27 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

They did actually: there's the alternate The Breaking Of The Fellowship, the alternate Gandalf The White, and a few other rarities, if I remember correctly.

Indeed. And the Concerning Hobbits with the fiddle solo closer to the theatrical version.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Shore only wrote music specifically for the end credits with The Hobbit.

All six films have music specifically written for the end credits. 

I just learnt that before this event (https://goo.gl/2nCKca), Howard Shore will held a signing session where he'll sign autographs on this newly released CD set. So I'll definitely go earlier and buy it before the event :)  And I'm curious to see what might be the "musical surprise" !

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...