The Official Howard Shore Thread

Jilal

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Damn you Kühni and your tantalizing insinuations!

;) 

I believe JNH's Kong to be one of the finest scores ever written. I am continually in love with it, but would also kill to hear Shore's! Just bloody release it already instead of teasing us relentlessly every few years.

19 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I believe JNH's Kong to be one of the finest scores ever written. I am continually in love with it, but would also kill to hear Shore's! Just bloody release it already instead of teasing us relentlessly every few years.

I certainly think it's one of JNH's knockout scores and, considering the time crunch and stress involved in a last minute replacement, it's a GD masterpiece.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24 Jul 2016 at 0:42 AM, crocodile said:

Doug Adams' latest on King Kong:

Word is that Shore used at least part of his Kong score for the concert work "Seven Pieces", which is indeed scored for soprano and 12 cellos.

^ This.

Unrelated to either Seven or Kong - Can I get a couple of on-the-spot suggestions as to what piece of music would be a good summary of Shore's style(s)? I seem to remember Georg once saying that LotR as a whole is not quite indicative of Shore's writing, even though there are many instances where the music really spells out "Howard Shore".

Off the top of my head, a track like the following from Cop Land is what I would call "quintessential Shore". 

06-The Sheriff of Cop Land.mp3

Silence of the Lambs, Naked Lunch, Looking For Richard, The Fly. I think these scores give a pretty good overview of Shoreisms.

Don't forget The Client and The Game! I remember that when I saw/heard The Game (which obsesses over the piano) and Seven (which prominently features the bowed cymbal), I assumed that Shore's style was emphasizing one particular instrument in his scores. Of course that didn't turn out to be the case, but it makes me wish that he and Fincher would collaborate again.

Or maybe that is his way of dodging a question. We know already that they were trying to put something together before. Maybe it's a matter of presentation.

Karol

It's also an indication that they both understand how integral he is to the storytelling for these Middle Earth movies that they were willing to set aside their differences and work through what is clearly still a strained relationship.

Yes I am sure it was pure contempt and knife fights between the two gentlemen in question before they retreated to different sides of the globe and decided to work together again.

Shore: You've changed Peter Jackson, and not entirely for the better!

PJ: Quiet My Precioussss. Let's split these two films into three! My Preciousssss money castle needs another turret and a swimming pool extension!

• 3 weeks later...
On 16. August 2016 at 8:47 AM, SafeUnderHill said:

http://screenanarchy.com/2016/08/locarno-2016-interview-howard-shore-talks-his-career-and-lifelong-collaborations.html

I don't think I've seen any comments on Kong from Shore before... until this.

No reason for it?

Okay ... But he also thinks AUJ is practically complete.

5 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

No reason for it?

Okay ... But he also thinks AUJ is practically complete.

No reason the magic is or isn't there.

Well I personally am interested in the full original unused Riddles in the Dark, The World is Ahead, and AUJ version of The High Fells sequences.