Track titles for Fan Edits

If you are making your own personal edit of a score, and if the original cue titles are knows 9as they often are these days) which do you use?

Do you use, whenever possible the name the composer used on the OST, or do you use the title from the cue sheet?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to make my own titles up for everything, now I mostly use the cue sheet titles whenever they are known. But sometimes the original name is so lame I change it anyway

Like I said, I always choose the cue sheet name, unless I think it's really lame (which is super rare)

I usually just go for what sounds better, or sometimes what's shorter. I renamed all of RoboCop's cues to the album versions - 'We Killed You' is a better title than 'Gas Station Blow Up'.

If the original cue titles are known, I use them, period. I do this for the sake of clarity - CD tracks can contain segments of multiple cues, and whatever cues are represented are often chopped up at least a little. So I prefer to think of the track titles exclusively as referring to the versions heard on the OST and the cue titles exclusively as referring to the versions that were originally recorded. Even in cases where those versions are identical AND the track title is far better (e.g., "The Map Room: Dawn" vs. "Discovering the Script"), I still use the cue titles for the sake of consistency. Others are free to do it differently, but this is what I prefer for my own edits, and I very rarely waver. :)

But if some cue titles are unknown, I'll often use original track titles and/or my own track titles and/or track titles that match others' edits.

So I prefer to think of the track titles exclusively as referring to the versions heard on the OST and the cue titles exclusively as referring to the versions that were originally recorded. Even in cases where those versions are identical AND the track title is far better (e.g., "The Map Room: Dawn" vs. "Discovering the Script")

How can you NOT use The Map Room: Dawn????

If the original cue titles are known, I use them, period. I do this for the sake of clarity - CD tracks can contain segments of multiple cues, and whatever cues are represented are often chopped up at least a little. So I prefer to think of the track titles exclusively as referring to the versions heard on the OST and the cue titles exclusively as referring to the versions that were originally recorded. Even in cases where those versions are identical AND the track title is far better (e.g., "The Map Room: Dawn" vs. "Discovering the Script"), I still use the cue titles for the sake of consistency. Others are free to do it differently, but this is what I prefer for my own edits, and I very rarely waver. :)

But if some cue titles are unknown, I'll often use original track titles and/or my own track titles and/or track titles that match others' edits.

I do exactly this!

So I prefer to think of the track titles exclusively as referring to the versions heard on the OST and the cue titles exclusively as referring to the versions that were originally recorded. Even in cases where those versions are identical AND the track title is far better (e.g., "The Map Room: Dawn" vs. "Discovering the Script")

How can you NOT use The Map Room: Dawn????

One of the hardest track title decisions I've had to make, but I value consistency in my naming.

with giacchino i prefer to use the cue sheet names over OST names (for consistency so in a complete score i would use all the names from the same source)

since there is going to be bad puns anyway...

With williams... sometimes his cuesheet names just dont work, so better get them from the ost or do them myself.

I use to make my own. These days though if the actual original track titles are known I will use them. All though some if I don't like the titles IE: Is It A Bird? (ANH) then I'll change it to "The Death Star". Another example.. "Take To Your Ships!", I changed to "Get To Your Ships!".

Every CD should have tracks called The Map Room: Dawn on it!

Actually, that's one of the worst track titles, because it doesn't make sense. The scene doesn't take place at dawn.

The Map Room: Dawn is the defining name of that track on every release!!!

I use OST titles usually, I respect that they've been carefully chosen for the soundtrack release. I don't care TOO too much for consistency. In fact my raiders soundtrack is a pretty even mix of 2008 release names and 1996 ones, with the name for the end credits taken out of the original polypor (the 6-min. "Raiders Of The Lost Ark"). With E.T., though, I just got so frustrated at how many times they used E.T. in the titles, there could've come up with something better, and luckily "E.T. Is Dying" and "Losing E.T." have very suitable replacements on the cue sheet.

I LOVE Giacchino's bad puns!!

And it's not a map room!

It most certainly is!

Major Eaton: What exactly is a headpiece to the Staff of Ra?

Indiana: Well, the staff is just a stick. I don't know, about this big. Nobody really knows for sure how high. And it's... it's, uh... it's capped with an elaborate headpiece in the shape of the sun with a crystal in the center. And what you did was, you take the staff to a special room in Tanis, a map room with a miniature of the city all laid out on the floor. And if you put the staff in a certain place at a certain time of day, the sun shone through here and made beam that came down on the floor here... and gave you the exact location of the Well of the Souls.

Colonel Musgrove: Where the Ark of the Covenant was kept, right?.

Indiana: That's exactly what the Nazis are looking for.

You would only call it "miniature room" or "toy Tanis chamber" if that's what Indy called it.

It just didn't take place at "dawn" because it was already broad daylight when Indy entered the chamber -- though it was dawn somewhere. 11 in the morning or noon local time would be my guess.

I try to name mine after lines of dialogue. Since Raiders has been mentioned so many times, I'll use it as an example:

1. The Poison is Fresh

2. Stay out of the Light

3. Adios Señor

4. Show a Little Backbone

5. The Army That Has the Ark... is Invincible

6. You Know What a Cautious Fellow I Am

7. Your Fire is Dying

8. I'm Your Goddamn Partner!

9. You Can't Do This to Me! I'm an American!

10. I am the Monarch of the Sea!

11. [Here Comes the Sun]

12. Indy, Are You Crazy?!?

13. You Go First

14. It's My Family Label

15. Indy, the Torch is Going Out!

16. Come here!

17. I'm Making This Up as I Go

18. Where Doesn't It Hurt?

19. Don't You Touch Me

20. I've Found Him

21. The One, True Ark