Your holy grail list 2012

Jay

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point.

Thor. Why are you still slagging of the labels when they now often include the original OST program?

Let's not go there.

The Hunt For Red October

Thank you for that reminder, I added that to my list. As well as The Abyss.

Hopefully Red October will be released sometime this year. As for the Abyss, C'mon Varese we need the DX Ed. treatment on this one please.

The Hunt For Red October

Thank you for that reminder, I added that to my list. As well as The Abyss.

Hopefully Red October will be released sometime this year. As for the Abyss, C'mon Varese we need the DX Ed. treatment on this one please.

THE ABYSS is one of my favourite scores of all time, but there isn't much interesting music left off the original release (probably just a few synth textures and the occasional military percussion riff). It's actually quite sparse in terms of spotting.

My holy grail list is for re-issues of stuff that's either out of print or hard to get.

I'm too lazy and cheap to pursue older editions of titles I missed like:

Jane Eyre

The Reivers

Towering Inferno

Ghostbusters

Fitzwilly

I think the age of the Holy Grail is coming to a close. There really are fewer gaps thanks to the blitzkrieg releases of the past few years. It'll be interesting if the market for these things changes because there are no more tentpole titles left for people to get excited about. Ironically, by having given us what we wanted, the labels could be sealing their doom (at least for old farts like me who gravitate towards pre-2000 releases), if there are no more big classic titles that need releasing.

For me, the only true "Grails" left are Dracula and Young Sherlock Holmes.

That doesn't mean there are no more titles that interest me. I'm always up for new takes on old stuff. If anyone wants to properly re-issue Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws, E.T. and CE3K, then I'll gladly buy them. And there are odd titles like Salem's Lot that I have interest in, but wouldn't call a Grail.

Almost everyone but myself seems to list stuff that is already out there in some form or fashion (even though they aren't sufficient representations for you).

No one has any craving for scores that have had no release whatsoever?

I'd love a release of No Time for Sergeants by Ray Heindorf. Fun main title, and a really nice wistful main theme. Also, I know that the prelude and "Storm Cloud Cantata" have been re-recorded, but I'd be really glad to have a legit release of The Man Who Knew Too Much. I don't recall, however, if it's an issue of missing tapes, sheet music, or both. A regular release of Rear Window would be great, too. I never noticed it much when I was younger because of the (brilliant) mixing that made it feel more like it was playing somewhere in the courtyard, but there's some really nice stuff in there--the main title is a treat, and even back when I didn't notice how much score there was, the cue playing for the rainy night always stood out. Ooh! And Michael McCuiston's score for the DTV Batman & Mr. Freeze: Subzero, and releases of Superman: The Animated Series, especially for the Darkseid episodes.

Expansions:

JW's usual suspects

The Jungle Book - Basil Poledouris

The Hunt for Red October - Basil Poledouris

The Rocketeer - James Horner

Who Framed Roger Rabbit - Alan Silvestri (boot is great, but it would good to have this legit)

Further releases of:

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles - Laurence Rosenthal, Joel McNeely (and a few others?; this includes expansions also--at the very least, the exclusion of "The Man I Love" from Volume 3 was terrible)

Batman: The Animated Series

I haven't finished my list but having just seen the Tintin featurette- I'd love a complete recording sessions release with those alternate cues. Not that there's much of a chance...

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles - Laurence Rosenthal, Joel McNeely (and a few others?; this includes expansions also--at the very least, the exclusion of "The Man I Love" from Volume 3 was terrible)

I definitely agree with that....not the expansion bit, but having more CD's from the show. I have the four volumes that have been released, and they're some of my most treasured soundtracks. Fantastic stuff.

A lot of you want even more expanded Indiana Jones CD releases? I'm not against having every single note of music (depending on the film), but the 2008 Concord releases are a good representation of the first three movies. I'm not going to debate the sound quality, alternate tempo and so forth. I'm just happy to get Temple and Last Crusade at a nice, decent price... as well as most of the expansions of the former.

And as for holy grails of mine? I think, barring a new re-recording of Adventures of Robin Hood, that I already have the ones I need right now like Krull, Spacecamp, The Cape...

To be honest, there are dozens of Williams OSTs that I haven't picked up yet, so I'm nowhere near the stage where I need re-releases or expanded releases. There is too much great music out there on the marketplace as it is (and I'm not just talking film scores) - I'll never have time to appreciate it all.

To be honest, there are dozens of Williams OSTs that I haven't picked up yet, so I'm nowhere near the stage where I need re-releases or expanded releases. There is too much great music out there on the marketplace as it is (and I'm not just talking film scores) - I'll never have time to appreciate it all.

That's my approach too. Far too much stuff that exists out there already, ready to be explored -- film music and otherwise. I'd rather spend my life chasing that than expansions of music that already have a (in my opinion) sufficient representation.

My holy grail list is for re-issues of stuff that's either out of print or hard to get.

I'm too lazy and cheap to pursue older editions of titles I missed like:

Ghostbusters

Ghostbusters? Cheap? Where? I only see that for at least 60 bucks.

For now, in that category I'm after the first two Beverly Hills Cop scores as well as Missing; screw it, I'll include The Bounty on that list as well, even though a re-recording was released 2 years ago (but it sucked).

Oh man, how could I forget The Lion King. Definitely on my most wanted list.

A lot of you want even more expanded Indiana Jones CD releases? I'm not against having every single note of music (depending on the film), but the 2008 Concord releases are a good representation of the first three movies. I'm not going to debate the sound quality, alternate tempo and so forth. I'm just happy to get Temple and Last Crusade at a nice, decent price... as well as most of the expansions of the former.

There were a lot of problems and flat out mistakes with the discs in the Concord box. And there's still a lot of music missing

My grail list on blu:

ET, Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Titanic(97), The Abyss, True Lies,

The Universal Monsters, Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, The Mummy (33), The Invisible Man, The Wolf Man, The Creature from the Black Lagoon. I also would like a blu of The Thing from Another World and Them.

Ideally all would feature isolated scores. I would love to see Hammer's classics on blu, I'm currently looking for the movie IT starring the late Roddy McDowell. I know it's out on dvd and never likely to be out on blu but just to see it again would be nice.

Oh and the Day of the Triffids. love that movie.

I really really really REALLY want True Lies and The Abyss on Blu Ray. You can't even get them on anamorphic DVD!

With all the clout James Cameron has, especially post-Avatar, why haven't these been properly released on modern home video?

I really really really REALLY want True Lies and The Abyss on Blu Ray. You can't even get them on anamorphic DVD!

With all the clout James Cameron has, especially post-Avatar, why haven't these been properly released on modern home video?

I don't know. It's weird.

I believe they are in his plans. But with his move the NZ, his restoration and conversion of Titanic, and his prepping for Avatar... who knows.

But why were they never released on anamorphic DVD anytime between 1998 and 2007?

dont' have a clue, I think both films deserve royal treatment. The Abyss is important in film history from a technical aspect, and True Lies has Jamie Lee Curtis' sexy hysterical dance

I absolutely love The Abyss and watched it probably 10+ times between 1993 and 2000. I've been compelled to watch it since many times but I refuse to watch a non-anamorphic DVD on my HDTV. When it finally comes out on blu it will be an immediate viewing party for sure

The Abyss was supposed to come out last year on Blu-Ray, guess for some reason it got pushed back. Hopefully this year it makes its released. Jason on the back of the DVD cover it says widescreen...the special edition does anyways.

The Abyss was supposed to come out last year on Blu-Ray, guess for some reason it got pushed back. Hopefully this year it makes its released.

Oh hmm I didn't hear that, that stinks

Jason on the back of the DVD cover it says widescreen...the special edition does anyways.

I know it does

Widescreen does not have to mean anamorphic.

Yes

For now, in that category I'm after the first two Beverly Hills Cop scores as well as Missing; screw it, I'll include The Bounty on that list as well, even though a re-recording was released 2 years ago (but it sucked).

Excellent picks. Of the non-Williams/Elfman/Goldenthal material, they're high up on my list too. Vangelis can't really be recreated by others, so that BOUNTY rerecording didn't work for me either. Then I'd rather enjoy the tracks on the THEMES compilation. But all of those are brilliant scores, and it's an outrage that they haven't had a commercial release yet (the songtrack for BHC doesn't count). In the same vein, I'd love a release of Faltermeyer's FLETCH scores.

The Abyss was supposed to come out last year on Blu-Ray, guess for some reason it got pushed back. Hopefully this year it makes its released.

Oh hmm I didn't hear that, that stinks

Ya I remember reading about it on The Digital Bits. It does suck it hasn't come out on Blu-Ray yet.

The only entry on blu-ray.com's page for the movie is from September 2010:

The Digital Bits is reporting that, according to "multiple independent sources, including reliable industry insiders," James Cameron has been (or is about to begin) working on a new high-def transfer and master of The Abyss, presumably with the aim of releasing it on Blu-ray. The Bits also says that one of its readers recently asked Cameron specifically about this title, and the Canadian filmmaker replied that he was about to start work on a new transfer "using the same process he did with the Aliens Blu-ray."

All of the above is unofficial until there is a formal announcement from the studio.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5230

I don't have a blu-ray player, but I'm sure THE ABYSS would look brilliant in that format. I've seen the movie more than 20 times (most lately a couple of months ago) and would love to see it again in that format.....on someone else's tv. :)

I wonder if Cameron will convert either film to 3D. I think the Abyss would be very interesting in 3D. It would certainly add to an already clausterphobic atmosphere.