Jurassic Park 3D re-release in theaters April 5 2013

Matt C

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/26750/trio-develops-glasses-free-3d-standard

looks like 3D is getting closer to becoming a standard format. Once the glasses are gone the main reason to bitch about 3D is negated.

Jurassic Park is still going to be showing this next week too, so it's not a one week engagement.

I thought it was just for one week

No, the minimum is two weeks. If the second weekend for JP 3D holds well, I expect most of the theaters will keep it for a third weekend.

And I agree with the 3D on Jurassic Park. Very well done, just as good as Titanic's was.

I'd say it was even better than Titanic's mainly because of the public's expectation that 3D has things popping out of the screen at you, and as good as Titanic was there were no velociraptors jumping out of the screen off her deck.

This is a VERY interesting and fascinating article. But the most surprising thing is near the end of it when they talk about the 3D conversion. The 3D version WAS in fact sourced from a 4K scan! Not only that, they even mention it WAS color corrected to be closer to how the film looked in 1993, per Spielberg's own request.

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/welcome-back-to-jurassic-park/

What's sad is, this wonderful new transfer will NOT be included in 2D in the upcoming 3D BluRay set. Just the same 2D transfer from the previous Blu release (I was told this myself by a Universal rep). :( Very disappointing now, especially knowing this was a 4K scan when the previous Blu transfer clearly was NOT.

I finally caught it before it became extinct. I loved it, even though they digitally removed that scratch or whatever from the lens in the final shot. I thought Titanic was a pretty awesome 3D conversion, but this is easily the best 3D movie I've ever seen. Even better than Captain EO. Seriously, though. The 3D looked astonishingly great, and I've never supported the format.

Glad you liked it, too! Something odd (and quite lame) though. I've seen it twice in IMAX 3D so far. The first time near my town, and I thought the 3D was really good! But then yesterday I saw it at the IMAX at Universal Studios Hollywood... and it seemed like the 3D was not as noticeable, which my friend also said it was "lacking". It just goes to show you that even if you see the same film in the same format in the same type of theater... it all depends on the theater calibration (right?) for it to deliver a consistent experience. I just couldn't believe that the IMAX at the same god damn studio the movie was filmed had less impressive 3D than the the theater less than an hour from where I lived! Haha. Although, I will say it was was cool to ride Jurassic Park- The Ride right after watching it, while also seeing these banners everywhere, especially by the escalators:

544260_10151547517560660_66258484_n.jpg

Lol I do agree about that. But that's horrid marketing for you these days. I'm just happy it got this much amount of marketing. Jurassic park has been an almost forgotten series from the general public now, and even though everyone knows the film, I still think its fairly heavy marketing was well-warranted for people to even go see it again and be aware of it happening.

Haha! Yeah, it definitely was something I wanted to do all along when I first heard of it being re-released. Unfortunately I couldn't go there for it's opening day due to schedule conflicts at the last minute with work. :( But I guess in the end it wasn't a bad thing, because if this theater had been my first impression of the 3D, I wouldn't have been nearly as enthusiastic. But it's so cool to "be there" in the ride minutes after seeing the film (luckily it wasn't a long wait to get on around the time I went on). I expected the gift shop that you almost have to exit through to leave the ride to have some ultra-cool new merchandise for the ride. Sadly, it did not. In fact the store has become sadly generic, except for it's t-shirts and shotglasses/mugs. A bit sad, really. It didn't even have the films on BluRay/DVD at all, which I found even more odd. Their loss! It's just sad because the gift shop used to have far more unique things. Although I did almost snag one of their hard hats that look like the ones from the beginning of the film. ;)

Two things did irk me about the ride when I went, though. For one, the baby Ultrasaurus was under construction, so it was haphazardly fenced around. This kind of destroys the "awe" of entering the park, because it is the first sight you see, next to the big adult. Overall, the ride just isn't as impressive as it used to be years ago. It feels overall just not as "kept up" (despite the construction sometimes seen) as a really good ride should be (like most Disneyland rides are). The dinosaurs generally just look far cheaper now than they used to, like there is no care in the new skin molds they must put on them every so often. Don't get me wrong, it's still a fun ride! But it definitely isn't what it used to be, imo. Which is a very sad thing. :( I just hope it doesn't go away anytime soon like Terminator 3D already has and eventually the Waterworld stunt show (both are great, imo).

They should never get rid of the Jurassic Park ride. I hope it's not as bad when I ride it. I haven't even been to Hollywood yet, only the Islands of Adventure version. Honestly, most of the dinos aside from the T-Rex and spitters never looked that great. Even the raptors looked weird there. I don't get why they couldn't just make them resemble the film versions more closely.

Further reflections:

- Robert Muldoon's character possibly the most disappointing in history? I had this discussion about how this guy seemed to be the raptor expert, yet the guy who only dug up their bones saw that sneak attack at the end coming. Eh, I just figure it was a perfect example of dramatic irony. By the way, his action figure came with this gigantic missile-firing bazooka. If he'd actually wielded that thing in the movie, he would have easily just blown all the raptors up. Just destroy the entire region of jungle they're in.

- The falling car in the tree scene seems so random. Almost like it was some rejected idea for the Indiana Jones movies that Spielberg shoehorned into Jurassic Park. It's not a bad scene at all (even though I've always wondered why they didn't just go around the tree to avoid the falling car instead of going straight down underneath it), it just feels really kind of random in a movie with dinosaurs around the point where they're all escaping their confines and roaming the jungle. Okay, at this point, let's have a scene where they go down a tree to avoid a car.

- I never really thought about it, but when the narrator describes the spitters as a beautiful addition to Jurassic Park, it's not really true. Those things are not beautiful.

- Laura Dern looked really good in this.

- "Yeah, but John, if the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists." Still one of the very best lines in a ridiculously quotable movie.

- The arrival at the island never fails to give me goosebumps.

The dilophosaurus beauty is taste... (i love the desing even if its not accurate). I think the narrator means that the frill is very coloured and seeing the dull colors of the rest of the dinosaurs...

Also it has an exotic look...

"Yeah, but John, if the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists." Still one of the very best lines in a ridiculously quotable movie.

It is basically Jeff Goldblum's movie. Back in '93, it seemed we got a delicious Bill-Murray-character dry-commenting on the somewhat shallow blockbuster spectacle...aided by the fact that the same german actor dubs both guys.

Muldoon was a hunter but I never thought of him as a raptor expert. He was the most knowledgeable a the park but it was clear he was not privy to the information that Grant had on the raptors.

Muldoon was a hunter but I never thought of him as a raptor expert. He was the most knowledgeable a the park but it was clear he was not privy to the information that Grant had on the raptors.

This is made sadder because the last person he saw did have the information, but between his realization they were being hunted and his telling her to run, there was no time to stop the film and tell him what we all knew already.

Joey is correct, Muldoon was a game hunter but not a Dinosaur expert.

Why he went in after the Raptor is anyone's guess. Especially with 3 on the loose. He knew they were intelligent.

Chalk it up to just moving the story along, much like the T-Rex paddock cliff.

Here is some odd fanboy ramblings, haha. Don't know if anyone has ever thought about this before...

Doesn't it seem odd that John Hammond HIMSELF has to interact with the introduction to the Mr. DNA video in order for it to make proper sense? What I mean is, Hammond himself has to interact with the Hammond on the screen, which in turn interacts back with him, when the video starts in order for the explanation and illusion to work (which, as we see in the film, gets thrown off at first when Hammond forgot he "has lines").

The reason why this is odd is because this seems to be a video for a "kind of a ride" that will ALWAYS be playing for guests to explain to them how the cloning process of Jurassic Park works. So, does this mean that Hammond HIMSELF intends to be there every single time this video plays? Without him physically being there to do it, this introduction to Mr. DNA will make absolutely no sense, and no other person can take his place. If you really think about it, it seems kind of ridiculous that they would make a video like this if it is indeed intended to be a video played many, many times for people to see. Like what would happen if Hammond got sick? Or when he died? They would have to scrap the whole thing or redo the intro. completely. So, why do it this way in the first place?

One explanation could be that this was just a special version of the video for special guests only. Since this was an early tour of the island with a personal group of people, this version of the video would have been used. It also could just be an early version of the video, with an entirely different introduction later planned to replace it. This idea may be the most likely, since Hammond in the film does actually say that the music score "is only temporary" and that the actual music score "hasn't been written yet".

Still, the more I think about it, logically speaking it seems odd for them to have made the video with such an introduction. Don't get me wrong... it WORKS in the movie and within it's context, obviously. But if you stopped to think, had this been a real park and etc... it's just a very silly mistake for them to have made when they would obviously have to have an alternate introduction later on.

What do you think? And what do you think an alternate introduction to Mr. DNA could be like?

Haha, I admit that was probably going overboard. But you gotta remember I've been a fan of this damn film since I was a kid. It is solely responsible for me getting into John Williams! :D

However, the following is actually highly amusing, at least to me. Probably will be for anyone who ever went on Jurassic Park- The Ride at any of the Universal Studios parks or is a fan of The Office, LOL.

For fans of the U.S. television show "The Office", it may be interesting to know that actress Jenna Fischer (who plays Pam on the show) had her first acting gig playing an extra on the commercial for Jurassic Park- The Ride! She was paid only $100 and spent HOURS being on the ride over and OVER again! LOL. Despite who she is now, this is an interesting look at what it was like to be in the famous ride commercial (and one of my favorite ride trailers... LOVE the voiceover!).

Start it at 1:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8qyRLasGFo

Continues a bit more on Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC0QIfT6I8s

I tried to see if I could be spot her "two frames" anywhere in the trailer, but it's hard to tell, lol. Either way, just an amusing bit of information on a now famous actress whose career started off with Jurassic Park- The Ride! Haha!

It's the payoff of Grant's story that he uses to terrify the kid at the beginning. Its only useful purpose was to explain how someone would die.

And silly me always thought the payoff was that Grant lost his aversion to kids after having to rescue them multiple times from gruesome death he described in rich detail.

Well, yes. I was too single minded when I claimed it had one use. Its other was what you suggested. Though I'd like to think Grant would have saved even the annoying whiny kid from raptors once he discovered they were real and a threat.

And I suppose the payoff to Grant's disdain for computers is that he would not be able to repair the system. It would take the rich man's granddaughter, who would have died if Grant had not overcome his morbid fascination with scaring children.

I shoulda just said whoa.

i think muldoon thought he was doomed. That's why he told ellie to run while he made cover fire for her. Both of them running to the shed wouldnt have worked for their survival...

He may have wanted to try to kill as many raptors as he could before dyings... but he was outsmarted.

He was aiming the only raptor he could see...

He wasn't expecting the pack mentality. The man who knew they were deviously intelligent, would test the fences, and wanted them all destroyed was in the end outsmarted when they flanked him.

Well, reviews for the 3D BluRay version have already begun. It's due out next week (Region A).

Here is one from HighDefDiscNews:

http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/jurassic-park-3d-blu-ray-3d-review/

And, naturally, BluRay.com:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Jurassic-Park-3D-Blu-ray/59530/#Review

To make it clear again for people... it will NOT include a 2D version of the new 3D transfer. The 2D disc that comes in the set is of the previous 2011 BluRay transfer. However, as you can see, they were able to get 2D screenshots of the 3D transfer. Apparently there are ways to rip them so it is 2D. But it is a shame that one would have to go to those lengths just to see it that way.

And so everyone knows, it seems like this will be the last week the film will be in IMAX theaters. I know the one near my town is pulling it after Thursday night, as is the AMC theater at the Universal Citywalk in Los Angeles. Not sure when exactly they'll start pulling it from regular theaters, but I expect it will be probably the week or so after.

In a random bit of related news... it appears Burger King in the States will start having Jurassic Park toys in their kids meals! LOL. I find the timing a bit off, since you would think they would have capitalized on the theatrical 3D release of the film, and not the BluRay release, but nonetheless, here they are! (Note: Their page seems to be slowly updating or something, so it may appear odd looking)

http://www.bkcrown.com/Toys/Default.aspx

They're mostly generic, if a bit fun for kids meal toys. That raptor egg looks a bit cute, though. ;)

In regular 3D or IMAX 3D? I saw it at my IMAX for the last time this week. As Jason said, it is leaving tomorrow afternoon to make way for Oblivion for it's 8PM screening. Will still check it out in regular 3D format before it is gone completely.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here it is. Ordered it a couple days ago and finally came in the mail, thanks to Amazon for it (previously) being on sale:

248079_10151576476070660_1561561071_n.jp

I saw it a total of 4 times in the theater! Three times in IMAX (definitely the most rewarding way to watch it, personally), and one time in a regular theater with 3D. There is still a chance I'll see it at least one more time if it appears at my local "dollar" theater later on, and yet another time if there is an awesome chance this Drive-In theater near my town gets it. That would be so AWESOME because the very first time I saw Jurassic Park actually was at a Drive-In as a kid... sitting in the back of our old car... scared to death by the Dilophosaur after it got all mean...

In the meantime... I need to find a friend who has a 3D TV. ;)

I just saw it. It's surprising to see it was almost an emotional experience to me...the music, all those classic scenes. It brings back all those memories. I hadn t seen the movie for about 20 years (of course I have the dvd but it was just sitting on the shelf). I think when you're 12, movies can have such an impact; I realize it only now.

It was quite emotional too me. The film had a huge impact on my in 1993, when I saw it in the cinema, that helicopter approach to the island, that theme!

The film is sort of considered Spielbergs King Kong, and like the 1933 film, it has aged well

It's actually staggering how good the CGI still looks.

The 3D conversion is the best out there, better then Titanic even

The film may be "just" a rollercoaster ride, but it's one of the best rides you can have, and a true classic!

This is NOT an Alexcremers film, btw....

Just watched this today as well, for the first time in the cinema. Excellent piece of film-making.

Wouldn't surprise me if it ended up being the best entertaining film in cinemas this year.

You don't get better than a Spielberg adventure film. And this one does even provide some food for thought.

I was sitting next to Dave and I looked over at the Journey to the Island sequence and I could see his emotions were in play, but for me it was when they found the triceratops, my eyes glistened, Niagara Falls,(scrooged reference)

Just everything worked in this movie, it's unbelievable. I was totally blown away again by the t-rex paddock scene; due to the smart juxtaposition of both animatronics and CGI, the animal just feels like it is alive and breathing. I dont think it can ever be surpassed. In fact any dino CGI that came later was less convincing (JP3...) And the script is actually pretty coherent as well. There are many references in the dialogue referring to scenes later on.

I also remembered I had a crush on Ariane Richards ;)

Saw it again, and it really allowed me to soak in Dean Cundey's excellent camerawork on the picture. The scenes involving the raptors, especially the panning closeup shots of Grant and Muldoon, are really visually striking.

And I liked how Universal restored the film... some very fine grain throughout but the picture was sparkling clean, sharp and wonderfully detailed. The film has never looked this good until now. It looks like a brand-new film for the most part.

• 3 months later...

Finally saw it last friday. (luckily, because here it has been released only in some cities and cinema brands)

It was a one-time experience. I went to see it with my girlfriend, whose favourite film is also JP, so it was very special for us being together :)

The 3d was very well spotted throughout, the raptor scenes being the best of them :)

The sfx still look good in the cinema, in DVD you can see some 'old fashioned CGI' but here i couldnt see anything wrong. It was great. And the music again in a huge cinema... :wub: