Jurassic Park 3D re-release in theaters April 5 2013

Matt C

Wait - there will be no new transfer of the original (unaltered) Jurassic Park available?

I've been holding off buying the BR's because of the reportedly very bad quality.

Wait - there will be no new transfer of the original (unaltered) Jurassic Park available?

I've been holding off buying the BR's because of the reportedly very bad quality.

Correct, unless they change their mind last minute. I'm really not surprised by universal. They still of course must want to sell off all the copies they pressed of the other transfer still. However, the transfers aren't reaaalllyy bad. They could just be better, and its aggravating I admit that there is now, in some opinions, a better transfer, and you can't watch it without 3D. However I guess it doesn't matter since that transfer has been slightly altered now anyway, so its just as well.

Ah crap, I was under the impression there were going to be new transfers. Well, I'll put the BR in my shopping basket in that case. Thanks for the info!

we're thinking about going at 7:20 Friday night. The matinee starts at 4:20 which is before I get off for the day.

Hell talking to my mom she even thought seeing JP in 3D would be fun.

most of the reviews at Rotten Tomato for JP are just the original reviews but one saw the film in 3D and enjoyed it.

I've read a bunch of new reviews, most agree it's the best 3D conversion ever making a spectacle even more so.

I do feel the film gets an unfair shake when it comes to acting. I'm not sure than I was ever more in sync with the actors on the screen during the Journey to the Island sequence. What they project I easily felt.

Will be seeing this in Imax 3D in the evening. :) Very excited! Even though I'm going alone. :(

Don't know if I ever mentioned this at jwfan before, but a few years back I made an audiobook-like presentation of dialogue from a Jurassic Park game, Trespasser, where Attenburough reprised his role of John Hammond. He reads from a memoir of his detailing of events before, during, and after Jurassic Park. It mixes canons, but since it is read by the same actor as the films (with great emotion), it adds authenticity. I set it to music from the game by Bill Brown.

It would make a nice breezy listen to and from the screening of JP 3D while adding a bit to the story that is quite unique and even moving

Check out Version 2.0

http://jurassictime.trescom.org

I hope the colors aren't as saturated as in the 3D trailer. Looking forward to hearing your reviews! Here, we have to wait another month until release.

I purchased tickets to see JP tonight at 7:20 CST. The ticket prices were 10.58 each. The closest Imax is Little Rock, Memphis which is much closer does not have an Imax current. So Re@l 3D will have to do.

549161_10151537227330660_590716395_n.jpg

Warning... I just got home after seeing it. Call it a biased review, because I am a HUGE fan of Jurassic Park. as you can tell. It is indeed my personal favorite movie.

My verdict... awesome and amazing! So worth it to see in 3D Imax! You really feel so close and so part of it all! Many scenes were so perfect for the format in their composition naturally that it was such a treat! The sound was loud and surrounding. Music blared. The audience totally ate it up. There were some kids near me that made some sounds in a few quiet moments but quickly were shooshed by their parents. By the time that T-rex showed up... they were silent.

This movie lives on the screen. That's where it belongs. Its such a perfect cinematic adventure.Everything holds up so well. And some parts actually made me jump due to sound and how big it was! And I knew everything that was coming! One part inparticluar was so effective in 3D that made MANY people jump, including me a bit! I didn't expect it!

It's funny, because at times watching certain scenes reminded me of looking through my Jurassic Park ViewMaster 3D reels as a kid! Obviously the 3D here was a much better effect, but this kind of feeling gave me EVEN MORE nostalgia watching it. I felt like the whole movie was through the ViewMaster of my youth now!

It's a world I always want to be a part of. I really didn't want to leave. This was truly where I.belonged. :) So happy to have experienced this film, my favorite, in such an astounding and community-esque way.

I'm sure few people will ever understand. This is my Star Wars.

If anyone has anything to ask about it, let me know. :) That changes I mentioned earlier in this thread were actually the only real changes I could spot in the entire film. Otherwise, it looked and felt just like the Jurassic Park I always knew and loved... but as if I was there reliving it as if it was new again.

End of fanboy gushing. ;)

Hmm, it's a shame my daughter is just a little bit too young for this. I'd have loved to see her reaction.

I took my kids to see it when they wre 7 & 5, yeah I know bad parenting.

My daughter (7) sat in my lap the entire last hour with her hands over her eyes while my 5 year old son was leaning forward, grabbing the empty seat in front of him and staring at the screen in amazement.

Marcy and I are going to see it tomorrow in IMAX3D

I remember seeing it in the summer of 1993 with my dad when I was 13 and my brother was 10. All three of us loved it.

there are movies that are meant to be seen on the big screen. This is definitely one of them.

The 3D worked. It worked better than even I expected.

Dave and I both sat there as if it was 20 years ago. The film was surprisingly fresh.

The effects are a great as I remembered. In 3D they are even better.

There is a power to this film that I forgot about. From the moment you hear the first notes of Journey to the Island you know that in just over 4 minutes there be dinosaurs.

I don't think either of us thought it would have that impact that it did. The awe seemed fresh, the excitement almost new. What really got us was the Triceratops sequence. It seemed so much more real. John's music was potent. I could see Dr. Sattler's tear so well in 3D, I felt mine.

John's score is infectious.

I don't know how well it will do at the Box office, but I think it's safe to say the best summer movie of 2013 will have to be something special to be better than this film.

Awesome, Joey. Glad you enjoyed it as well. :D

Did anyone who see it again in the theater also like the humor in the film? It's never quite LOL, more like "chuckle humor", but I thought it was still dorky and fresh for the film and really adds to it's appeal amidst all the science, wonder, and terror.

Dave and I waited for one of Cinema's great lines.

http://www.hark.com/clips/grbdpthytv-dinosaur-tour

Ian: "Now, eventually you do plan to have dinosaurs on your dinosaur tour, right? Hello? Yes?" Hammond: "I really hate that man!"

so perfect

The best popping 3D moment by far was:

When the raptor jumps up to the camera from the floor after Lex gets away from it in the ceiling. They somehow really made that moment pop out and startle several people really well, including me!

The best moment where it felt like there was a ton of dimension into the screen:

The shot of the tour car's POV driving forward to the big Jurassic Park gate. The way the road went into the screen toward the gate as it moved was an amazing effect.

Hmm, it's a shame my daughter is just a little bit too young for this. I'd have loved to see her reaction.

I took my kids to see it when they wre 7 & 5, yeah I know bad parenting.

My daughter (7) sat in my lap the entire last hour with her hands over her eyes while my 5 year old son was leaning forward, grabbing the empty seat in front of him and staring at the screen in amazement.

I saw it when I was 3, it's my earliest memory sitting in the theater. I don't remember the whole experience, but apparently I wasn't interested, my brother was enthralled at 6, and my dad was scared hiding behind the empty seat in front of him lol.

My parents only kept sex away from us early on. I saw The Shining when I was like 6 or 7. Perhaps that was bad parenting ;)

Oh The Shining is probably my favorite Kubrick film. I will say I have never read the book, and in the rare instance, don't ever intend to. I actually liked what I heard about the changes that were made. I guess Kubrick and I share the same viewpoints on life, so to speak. Also, I had seen the miniseries version of The Shining, and if that storyline really was closer to the book, I DEFINITELY liked his changes even more. I wished Kubrick did more full-on horror like that film, because he was SO good at it. I also love, almost equally, 2001 and Full Metal Jacket (which is odd because I usually just don't like the war movie genre, no matter what the message is).

What would a Kubrick version of Jurassic Park be like? ;)

I don't even consider The Shining pure horror. It's more like psychological terror and it scared the shit out of me, only movie to ever do so.

A Clockwork Orange, 2001, then The Shining for me. There's still plenty of Kubrick I have to see though.

Yeah, you do make a point. Emotional horror. A movie that scares with stares and dialogue. You can just FEEL the insanity, in all of the performances, really.

I always say this, but the book and the movie are different beasts, both excellent in their own right. But one of the main differences for me is that in the book Jack's descent into madness feels better done, while in the movie he seems a little mad and ready to explode right from the beggining, because of Nicholson's wonderfully creepy performance, of course.

And another difference is that while in the movie every supernatural thing that happens in the hotel is left ambiguous regarding if it actually happened or not -specially thanks to that bone-chilling ending-; In the book, it's not something that could be in Jack's mind, it's actually happening, there's no doubt about it. But it works thanks to King's brilliant writing -kinda like how well written is Susan Delgado's character written in The Dark Tower-, so I don't know how well some of his exquisite words would have translated to the screen... So you can take it as you will, prefering the more open approach or the more closed one, but for me, both approaches are fantastic and produce similar results.

I say give it a read if you haven't. There was a joke on Friends on how they were so scared of the book that they put it on the freezer I believe, and it was something like that for me when I first read it. It's probably the book that has take me the longest to read, not because I wasn't interested, on contrary: It's because I was fucking afraid of what was going to happen next, and I didn't want to miss a single detail too.

It's not a book I think I could read and enjoy at this point. Between seeing parts of Kubrick's film, the mini series with the guy from Wings, and the endless parodies, I have too many preconceived notions. Though so too do those who read it multiple times. I guess I just don't like being scared, whether onscreen or on page.

I don't even consider The Shining pure horror. It's more like psychological terror and it scared the shit out of me, only movie to ever do so.

It's one of the few films that gave me the chills when I was younger. I think its a brilliant film and one of my favorite Kubrick film. I found the "approved" version, the TV movie, to be rather bland and not scary or unsettling at all.

In fact Wendy Carlos' music still gives me the chills as well. I have both of her Rediscovering Lost Scores volumes that present her music as she intended. Some of the cues are chilling to listen to, alone, in the dark...........

I didn't know that existed. I need to find it.

A friend told she was bored to death with The Shining, and asked me what was scary about two girls in a hallway. I said, it's not the girls, it's the hallway. And that the kid is trapped there with Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duvall. With that combination, even the sounds of the tricicle are freakin creepy.

I love The Shining. My third favorite Kubrick. I haven't read the novel which is why I believe Joey dislikes it, he thinks it's better.

NO, I know the novel is better, in every way shape and form.

it will be interesting if they make a movie of the Shining Sequel Dr. Sleep, which they will and the character and hero of the Shining(Dick Hallorann)played by Scatman Cruthers shows up alive when in Kubricks version he's killed meaninglessly.

I love the (Kubrick) Shining, the only problem I have with it is that after all the buildup, the ending is a little anticlimactic. That Jack will end up attacking his family is foreshadowed from beginning to end, so when that finally happens it's hardly shocking, especially considering how miserably he fails at it.

The best popping 3D moment by far was:

When the raptor jumps up to the camera from the floor after Lex gets away from it in the ceiling. They somehow really made that moment pop out and startle several people really well, including me!

The best moment where it felt like there was a ton of dimension into the screen:

The shot of the tour car's POV driving forward to the big Jurassic Park gate. The way the road went into the screen toward the gate as it moved was an amazing effect.

I was telling Stefan that in some parts of the movie the 3D is so good I was trying to look around objects in the foreground to see the background.

I love The Shining. My third favorite Kubrick. I haven't read the novel which is why I believe Joey dislikes it, he thinks it's better.

NO, I know the novel is better, in every way shape and form.

King's book contains much more substance, more character, more subtlety, more everything. That's not to say that Kubrick's film, in and of itself, isn't a great horror film. The ABC mini-series wasn't all bad either, I thought it did pretty well for network television.

Saw Jurassic Park on Friday and I thought the 3D looked fantastic. The movie was great to see again. I hadn't watched it in several years, and it really does hold up extremely well. The showing I went to was very well attended, and everyone laughed at all the jokes.

Saw Jurassic Park on Friday and I thought the 3D looked fantastic. The movie was great to see again. I hadn't watched it in several years, and it really does hold up extremely well. The showing I went to was very well attended, and everyone laughed at all the jokes.

Mind if i ask which exact theater? (I know it could be anywhere), i'm just curious and doing some research to try and find which theaters get the most attendance during these re-releases - it's so fun to see it with a large group.

I'm in Atlanta and this was at an AMC theater. Friday night probably helped in terms of the larger audience, plus this release seems to have had a good-sized marketing push. I've been a little disappointed in the turnout for some of their awesome marathons and other one-off showings (such as the Indy one last year) but then I never saw any trailers or much promotion for things like that.

How much longer is JP going to be showing? I might like to go again this weekend... :)