BloodBoal

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A movie director hired a well known composer to write the score for his new family film. After seeing the film the composer decided that a really different instrumentation would best fit the mood of the film. So he decided to use the woodwind sections from three of the best jazz bands and the high string sections of three of the world's best symphony orchestras for his composition. A short while after the soundtrack had been added to the film, the composer received a really angry message from the movie director. It seems that the film rating board had given his family film an "R" rating for too much sax and violins.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What kind of movies do evil composers like? Anything with violins!

Steven Spielberg was discussing his newest project - an action docudrama about famous composers, starring top movie stars. Sylvester Stallone, Steven Seagal, Bruce Willis, and Arnold Schwarzenegger were all being courted for the top roles.

Hoping to have the box office "oomph" of these superstars, Spielberg was prepared to allow them to select the composers they would portray, providing they were among the most famous.

"I have always admired Mozart," declared Stallone. "I would really love to play him."

"I have always been partial to Strauss and his waltzes," stated Seagal. "He is the one I would like to play."

"Chopin has always been my favorite and my image would improve if people saw me playing the piano," Willis said. "I'll play him."

Spielberg was very pleased with these choices. "Sounds splendid," he said. Then, turning to Schwarzenegger, he asked, "Well Arnold, who would you like to be?"

"I'll be Bach!" Schwarzenegger replied.

ROTFLMAO

Robert Shaw (the famous conductor):

If God gave you the talent to compose, you should compose.

If you can't compose, you should play or sing.

If you can't play or sing, you should teach.

If you can't teach, you should go to arts administration.

And if you can't do arts administration,

you can always conduct.

:rimshot:

Miklos Rozsa on when asked to score Star Wars: Ben-hur done that, however "I don't understand out of space, I'm too much of a terrestrial creature"

Miklos Rozsa on Scoring Star Wars: Ben-hur done that, I don't do space however.

"I don't understand out of space, I'm too much of a terrestrial creature" - Miklos Rozsa when asked if he wanted to score Star Wars

One summer night, an orchestra performed Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. Since it was a very hot night and the players were working up quite a sweat, the ventilators were turned on. The wind from the ventilators caused the score to fly all over the place, so it was tied down to the note holders. The ventilators also made such a racket, that the bassists decided that it didn't matter if they downed a few pints and got drunk as lords. Two of them got so drunk, they passed out. The violinist was so disgusted, he got up to leave but slipped and fell. Thus, it was the bottom of the 9th, the bassists were loaded, the score was tied with two men out and the fans were cheering wildly as a man slid home.

One day, some archeologists heard scratching noises coming from within Mozart's grave. They opened it up to find Mozart covering all his scores with black ink. "What are you doing?", they asked him, to which he replied: "I'm decomposing".

When a member of the orchestra is incapable of doing his job right, they give him two sticks, and send him to the back of the orchestra.

When that memeber still isn't capable of doing his job right, they take away one of his sticks, and send him to the front of the orchestra.

How do you tune two piccolos?

Shoot one of them.

I loved this one!

Originally I was going to write: how do you make the percussionists drool out of both sides of their mouths? Level the stage... Wait...

The conducter walked out onto the stage to deafening applause. After bowing to the audience, he turned to the orchestra. Silence fell. Just as he was about to raise his arms to begin, he noticed the principle violist sobbing, quietly. The conducter rather self-consciously bent over the podium to the violist and whispered "What's the problem?"

The violist looked up at him in dismay and answered "The principle cellist just detuned one of my strings!"

His voice rising in frustration, the conductor harshly whispered "Well why don't you just tune it again, quickly!"

The violist burst into floods of tears and wailed "He won't tell me which one!!!"

• 1 month later...

Does anyone find the main theme from Silvestri's The Avengers to be really low-key?

I heard he's Thor after finishing the score.

That's a shame he didn't included the Thor-beat pattern in the score...

Does anyone find the main theme from Silvestri's The Avengers to be really low-key?

I heard he's Thor after finishing the score.

So, is that the reason why he didn't included the Thor-beat pattern in the score?

In Stark contrast to his previous score. This one has got a lot of fury from the film music fans. Which is funny because it's been bannered as a return to the classic superhero film scoring. What a marvel to behold.

No viola jokes yet?

What's the definition of a minor second?

Two viola players playing in unison :)

How do you know a viola player plays out of tune?

The bow is moving :)

A string player is found dead in the road, apparently the victim of a hit and run driver. Without opening the instrument case lying next to the body the police inspector says "It's a viola player". The sergeant says "How do you know it's a violist not a violinist? The inspector says "There are no skid marks in front of the body."

How do you know there's a singer knocking at your door?

They can't kind the key and don't know when to come in.

A pianist and singer are rehearsing "Autumn Leaves" for a concert and the pianist says:

"OK. We will start in G minor and then on the third bar, modulate to B major and go into 5/4. When you get to the bridge, modulate back down to F# minor and alternate a 4/4 bar with a 7/4 bar. On the last A section go into double time and slowly modulate back to G minor."

The singer says: "Wow, I don't think I can remember all of that."

The pianist says: "Well, that's what you did last time."

At a posh wedding reception in Beverly Hills the pianist falls into the swimming pool. The pianist flails furiously while calling for help, yelling "help me! I can't swim!" One of the other guests who happens to be at the poolside says "So? I can't play the piano and you don't hear me complaining."

Why is a person who plays the piano called a pianist but a person who drives a race car not called a racist?

An old man was on his death bed and called his whole family together so that he could bid them farewell and make his peace with the world. After he said what he wanted to each in turn and he knew he was coming very close to death he called for all to gather together.

"I have one thing I would like to confess before I go," he said. They all drew closer. "It was me," cough, wheeze, "I was the one," he said as they leaned down as close as they could to hear what he could barely get out in a whisper.

Gasp, cough, "I was the one," cough, wheeze, "in the kitchen with Dinah..."

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd the piece de resistance

Aaron Copland (1900-1990), US composer. One day Copland was in a bookshop when he noticed that a woman was buying two books--a volume of Shakespeare, and Copland'sWhat to Listen For in Music. As the customer turned to leave, he stopped her and asked, "Would you like me to autograph your book?" The woman looked blankly at the proud composer and asked, "Which one?"