Film: HOOK

Admiral Holdo

Just seemed like a good time to watch it. :)

It might be impossible for me to watch this objectively (this was a HUGE part of my childhood), but I think it's a really good movie that's frequently and unfairly slammed. Obviously it's not flawless - this is Spielberg at his most sentimental and sappy (which is REALLY saying something), and it's perhaps a little too flabby for its own good. But there's a lot of good in it, some frequently acknowledged, some not.

First, the obvious - the performances are fantastic (Julia Roberts excepted, but it's not movie-derailing). Kevin Kline probably would have done a really good job as Peter, but Robin Williams does great with the character arc of a joyless, misanthropic drone who must not only revive his inner child, but rediscover what made him grow up (making Peter's happy thought fatherhood was a great twist). Hoffman also has a fair amount of character depth to work with - Hook as a bitter old man afraid of time and his place in history is a great touch, but Hoffman balances it out with a great sense of humor. He's hilarious, and his rapport with Bob Hoskins is a delight to watch. The child actors are... eh, they're ok. There's been worse kid actors, but there's been better.

Spielberg's direction starts out a little flat, his compositions wide and occasionally pretty (sometimes VERY pretty), but they get better as the film progresses. The script he worked with isn't particularly outstanding, though it has an intriguing premise and interesting themes, even if it can stumble along the way in developing them. The sets aren't as bad as their reputation suggests - if nothing else, the stagebound feel fits the material. The makeup and costume people deserve a medal or something for what they did with Dustin Hoffman, it helps him dive into the part and he's unrecognizable as Hook.

And of course, the score. Moreso than any other Spielberg film (yes, more than Jaws, CE3K, E.T., etc... that's right, I went there), the music is where the film gets its power. More than any other element, Williams' melodies and orchestrations make you feel as if you're flying (even more than Superman... yeah, I said it, wanna fight about it?), and he perfectly captures the nostalgia-tinged melancholy where the script sometimes (ok, usually) doesn't. It's almost a symphony with accompanying images, it tells the story so completely. Without it, the film would fall instead of soar.

So as you can tell, I love this film, but I can also see its shortcomings. Fortunately, those are evened out by outstanding lead actors, good production design and wonderful music. It's certainly better than its critics assert.

8/10 (and that's about as objective as I can be)

It's an OK film, but terribly long.

The Americanisation of the characters is just misplaced. (Latino Lost Boys???...what???)

And apart from maybe the kidnapping scene, this movie is completely without scares.

Did Spielberg forget that one of the reasons that E.T. was so brilliant is that it was at times a terrifying film?

Honestly, I'd rather have a somewhat languid pace than an ADD-approved one. X-Men: First Class (apples and oranges, I know)'s pace just ruined it for me, the whole movie felt like a montage.

Ok, maybe someone else with the blu-ray can confirm this for me, but it seems like the score's mixed a little louder than the DVD. If we weren't about to get a mostly-complete set, it'd make for a good rip. :)

On 3/21/2012 at 6:41 PM, Mr.Movies said:

Ok, maybe someone else with the blu-ray can confirm this for me, but it seems like the score's mixed a little louder than the DVD. If we weren't about to get a mostly-complete set, it'd make for a good rip. :)

The audio was completely remixed for the blu ray, and it really shows. It's a great mix, the music has never sounded better.

On 3/21/2012 at 8:13 PM, indy4 said:

One of my favorite parts of the movie is the set design. It almost feels like a play. Very fake looking, but very cool looking.

See that's my least favorite parts of the film. I HATE how fake Neverland (especially Pirate Town) look

The Americanisation of the characters is just misplaced. (Latino Lost Boys???...what???)

I never thought that! If those lost boys had been raised by Wendy during her visit(s) to Neverland, they would have been kidnapped from England. At least, that's the way the original story worked. Peter Pan himself had been an English boy.

Maybe Spielberg just simplified the story for American audiences, adopting the black and white "good and evil" system his buddy George used in Star Wars: American accents (Pan, Lost Boys, Tink) are good, while British accents (Smee, Hook) are bad.

One of my favorite parts of the movie is the set design. It almost feels like a play. Very fake looking, but very cool looking.

See that's my least favorite parts of the film. I HATE how fake Neverland (especially Pirate Town) look

I just think that the only way for me to enjoy the film is embrace it as an outrageously over-the-top, old fashioned movie, a real-life cartoon. And in that respect the sets work great.

Just seemed like a good time to watch it. :)

It might be impossible for me to watch this objectively (this was a HUGE part of my childhood), but I think it's a really good movie that's frequently and unfairly slammed. Obviously it's not flawless - this is Spielberg at his most sentimental and sappy (which is REALLY saying something), and it's perhaps a little too flabby for its own good. But there's a lot of good in it, some frequently acknowledged, some not.

First, the obvious - the performances are fantastic (Julia Roberts excepted, but it's not movie-derailing). Kevin Kline probably would have done a really good job as Peter, but Robin Williams does great with the character arc of a joyless, misanthropic drone who must not only revive his inner child, but rediscover what made him grow up (making Peter's happy thought fatherhood was a great twist). Hoffman also has a fair amount of character depth to work with - Hook as a bitter old man afraid of time and his place in history is a great touch, but Hoffman balances it out with a great sense of humor. He's hilarious, and his rapport with Bob Hoskins is a delight to watch. The child actors are... eh, they're ok. There's been worse kid actors, but there's been better.

Spielberg's direction starts out a little flat, his compositions wide and occasionally pretty (sometimes VERY pretty), but they get better as the film progresses. The script he worked with isn't particularly outstanding, though it has an intriguing premise and interesting themes, even if it can stumble along the way in developing them. The sets aren't as bad as their reputation suggests - if nothing else, the stagebound feel fits the material. The makeup and costume people deserve a medal or something for what they did with Dustin Hoffman, it helps him dive into the part and he's unrecognizable as Hook.

And of course, the score. Moreso than any other Spielberg film (yes, more than Jaws, CE3K, E.T., etc... that's right, I went there), the music is where the film gets its power. More than any other element, Williams' melodies and orchestrations make you feel as if you're flying (even more than Superman... yeah, I said it, wanna fight about it?), and he perfectly captures the nostalgia-tinged melancholy where the script sometimes (ok, usually) doesn't. It's almost a symphony with accompanying images, it tells the story so completely. Without it, the film would fall instead of soar.

So as you can tell, I love this film, but I can also see its shortcomings. Fortunately, those are evened out by outstanding lead actors, good production design and wonderful music. It's certainly better than its critics assert.

8/10 (and that's about as objective as I can be)

agreed 100 percent! This is probably my favorite Steven S. film. THough in the booklet that came with the OST there is a scene with Hook, Jack, and Smee in a life boat in the rain. Does anyone know anything about this scene? I wonder why it was cut and what was supposed to happen at that point..

I know a lot of people don't quite like this film but I've always liked it. I need to pick it up on Blu-Ray but at the same time I'm disappointed the Blu-Ray release is an exact clone of the DVD. What I mean by an exact clone, I meant in terms of features...basically zip, none, bare bones release. If I had been Spielberg I would have had Sony put special features like Deleted Scenes and such with the Blu-Ray release.

MV's and Matt's comments from the radio show about it being a wasted opportunity for the Blu-Ray release is something I agree with.

I don't think anyone else could have played Hook like Dustin Hoffman did, he did such a great job for that role.

Regarding the audio mix, yes I agree it does sound wonderful for the FR and FL channels. However, listening to the RL and RR channels they sound WORSE compared to the DVD RL and RR rips. It sounds like the far back channels for the Blu-Ray rip is in a tin can or a tiny receiver, or something...ugh.

Anyways it is still one of my favorite films to this day. I don't remember seeing it in theaters when it came out. I'm sure that I did with my parents but it's hard to remember much from back then.

On 3/29/2012 at 1:36 AM, ShowUStheHOOK said:
THough in the booklet that came with the OST there is a scene with Hook, Jack, and Smee in a life boat in the rain. Does anyone know anything about this scene? I wonder why it was cut and what was supposed to happen at that point..

John Takis talks about that scene on Tim Burden's radio show right here:

http://soundcloud.com/timburden/movie-magic-hook-special

For people who are fans of the score and not fans of the movie... if there was no movie, there would be no score. :)

Robin Williams is horrendous in this movie. Abysmal, add your own adjectives.

I'm seeing this film to complete all the Spielberg films and get a complete picture of his career. I think the idea is good but given what everybody says I'm not expecting greatness by any means.

Chaac ( no one say anything since this person hasn't seen it ) keep an eye out for a famous POP singer in the role of the inspector after pan's kids are kidnapped.

How he ended up in the film? I have no idea

Chaac ( no one say anything since this person hasn't seen it ) keep an eye out for a famous POP singer in the role of the inspector after pan's kids are kidnapped.

You'd think he would've felt Hook coming in the air tonight.

Oh lord.

You'd think he would've felt Hook coming in the air tonight.

Oh lord.

( seeing as you gave a hint)....." I was there, and saw what you did. I saw it with my own two eyes.." :whistle:

The pirate that gets put in the boo box is a famous actor too

This girl, has she been on your mind? All the time? You'll give her a chance, you'll give her a sign, and you'll show up every time.

So are the people making out during the flight to Neverland.

I can see through my windows, I can see it when they're foolin' around.

keep an eye out for a famous POP singer in the role of the inspector after pan's kids are kidnapped.

I'd tell you who he is, but I don't remember. Take me home. But I don't remember. Take, take me home. 'Cuz I don't remember. Take me home. I've been a prisoner all my life, and I can say to you.

But I don't remember.

:huh:

The pirate that gets put in the boo box is a famous actor too

This girl, has she been on your mind? All the time? You'll give her a chance, you'll give her a sign, and you'll show up every time.

So are the people making out during the flight to Neverland.

I can see through my windows, I can see it when they're foolin' around.

keep an eye out for a famous POP singer in the role of the inspector after pan's kids are kidnapped.

I'd tell you who he is, but I don't remember. Take me home. But I don't remember. Take, take me home. 'Cuz I don't remember. Take me home. I've been a prisoner all my life, and I can say to you.

But I don't remember.

:huh:

@ the last part. LOL :tmi::lol2:

THough in the booklet that came with the OST there is a scene with Hook, Jack, and Smee in a life boat in the rain. Does anyone know anything about this scene? I wonder why it was cut and what was supposed to happen at that point..

John Takis talks about that scene on Tim Burden's radio show right here:

http://soundcloud.co...ic-hook-special

It's another important deleted scene. I don't know if it's a long or a serie of little deleted scenes. I called this scene "A day with Captain Hook" because its the third day of Jack in Neverland and Hook shows him how pirates and pirate town are funny.

The Trollops, Tickles (David Crosby) had more importance in the movie with these scenes ( some rumors exist about a cameo appearance of Bruce Willis as a pirate in these scenes).

They kept only the baseball scene from these scenes.

20-10.jpg

I really wish they'd make a special edition of the film with deleted scenes. It could have used more scenes with Dustin Hoffman as HOOK.

01. The school playExtented scene

02. The meetingExtented scene

03. To EnglandExtented scene

04. Peter’s lost cufflinksDeleted scene

05. The Jolly RogerExtented scene

06. The truth is revealedExtented scene

07. Tink in the DollhouseExtented scene

08. Peter still doesn’t believe in faeriesDeleted scene

09. “Follow that Hook!”Extented scene

10. On the Jolly RogerExtented scene

11. Peter is aliveExtented scene

12. The Lost Boys ChaseExtented scene

13. Peter can’t flightExtented scene

14. Slaves boysDeleted scene

15. Peter’s stuffDeleted scene

16. The ultimate revengeAlternate scene

17. EnvyDeleted scene

18. The training of PeterExtented scene

19. The lessonExtented scene

20. A day with Captain HookDeleted scene

21. BedtimeDeleted scene

22. “Do you remember your mother?”Alternate scene

23. Maggie and slaves boys #1Extented scene

24. Baseball sceneExtented scene

25. The PartyDeleted scene

26. Peter’s past adventuresExtented scene

27. Maggie and slaves boys #2Extented scene

28. “Where’s Rufio?”Extented scene

29. Smee’s escapeDeleted scene

30. Peter Pan vs Captain HookExtented scene

31. Captain Hook has survivedDeleted scene

32. Back to Wendy’sExtented scene

can you imagine how much would be added if these scenes weren't cut?

4 hours!

the movie already runs to long.

hmm good point. well, if anything include some of the deleted scenes For a film called HOOK, there's not enough of the character in the movie! ( just my opinion )

ShowUStheHOOK, what are those last three deleted scenes? I've heard of many deleted scenes, but those last three intrigue me, particularly the one about Hook surviving? Is that supposed to be us seeing his real world counterpart, a la Street Cleaner Smee?

I would LOVE to see reinserted the extended post-Lost-Boys-Chase scene where Rufio actually challenges Peter to fight, fly, and crow. It seems to me that seeing Peter try and fail to crow, particularly, would only serve to make the moment that much more spine-tingling and satisfying when he shows Rufio that he can towards the end.

I don't mind the movie being a bit longer. The film is large in scope, rich in its themes and backstory, and I like the idea of the breathing room and symmetry some of these scenes could give. And not so much breathing room as time to enjoy and absorb the atmosphere and characters some more.

I don't know, I found the list on Hook-movie.com. In my opinion it couldn't hurt to make the film a little longer and add a few scenes. It would probably make the movie more rich ... It could certainly use more scenes on the ship with Hook and Jack.

So Hook isn't an film about a man receding into an alcohol fueled fantasy after his children dissapear and his Alzheimer suffering grandmother tells him some crazy story?

I always took the film as an almost Oliver Stone like indictment of "yuppie" America, and the impotance of the modern man, when it comes to connecting with his family.

That would explain a lot of things. Moira and looney granny staging the kidnapping to snap Peter out of his cold and uncaring yuppie lifestyle but when having his drugs spiced emergency drink his deep buried other (feminine) persona emerges, hence Tinkerbell coming to get him to Neverland. He then has his "adventures" supposedly looking for his children (who were never missing anyway) in his lunatic fantasy, which takes him to the streets. He finally wakes up in Hyde Park having in his guilt ridden mind saved his children from the greed and evil of his corporate life portrayed by Hook in his delusional head and freed his inner child once more. He returns home full of pomp and pizzaz and ready to begin his family life as a new man, only to witness granny's childhood friend Tootles take a suicidal dive from the balcony out of sheer misery of living with the old witch but in his hyper-active optimism Peter thinks he has just gone to Neverland. And then he, while announcing how life will be his great adventure, will probably fall into his private traps once more after the film ends and commit a grisly suicide to get back to Neverland.

That was a great game.

He even dreams of Julia Roberts, the yuppies crumpet eversince she played a hooker in that Disney film.

Actually his emerging split personality's feminine side is portrayed by Julia Roberts who he has hots for as she is as you say a yuppie crumpet. Perhaps it is his latent homosexuality that is also emerging. It would also explain his obvious blindness for the affection Tink feels for him and how he desperately tries to spurn her. It all makes sense now. This movie is a masterpiece of social criticism and a plunge to the psychological depths of a yuppie. I never knew you had it in you Mr. Spielberg.

Naturally Peter's subconscious had created a challenger for him because he knew he had to earn his place in his family, to show him his flaws and then he would be finally able to defeat him and reclaim his inner child. Rufio is the fracture of his personality that makes Peter re-evalute his life but might also reflect his latent homosexual fancies and especially the deep buried wish of once in the late 70's and early 80's of becoming a punk and rebelling against society. He supressed this streak in him so now it has come back to haunt him in the form of this punk teenager gate keeper to his inner child. And finally this fracture reconciles with Peter when the evil corporate life style has slain the now unnecessary challenger, Peter having reclaimed his inner child, but this of course reminds Peter that his true enemy has been his yuppie persona all along.

See it all fits! Simple ghastly arithmetic.

And what about the Never-Feast? What is its meaning? Does it represent Peter's hunger for power, or Peter's hunger for family dinner?

This interpretation is Peter's psyche is easy when I have secret evidence from super secret and ultra rare shooting script. Most clearly Lost Boys reflect Peter's need for friendship and companionship which he has forgotten in his detached money grabbing life. The feast itself does indeed denote a hunger of sorts (it could well be that Peter is his delusional drug and booze induced reverie wandered outside into the cold without winter clothes and met a bunch of homeless people and his imagination formed Lost Boys from this group with who he shared a meal out of trash can beside a nice warm barrel full of burning rubbish but the jury is still out on this interpretation) for affection or power or for lunch or whatever.

The food fight and challenge of Rufio to an insult contest is part of the fracture of his personality testing his worthiness to find his inner child, which this Rufio actually wants all along but is not willing to give up easily. Another interpretation is that the hobos might have made the wacky Peter rob food from the local minimart, Peter starting to insult the Pakistani vendor and hey presto distracting him so that the hobos could steal the food themselves. It is all a bit of a blur really. Who won the insult competition, did the police arrive to the scene? (The nationality of the vendor is changed to proctect his/her privacy). The main thing is that Peter survived another challenge Rufio-personality had made for him. And that he got some fried vegetables from the hobos...sorry I mean Lost Boys afterwards. As I said this is from the few surviving photos since the footage is lost plus from the super rare and secret first shooting script.

I think the original idea was to shift between the delusional Neverland and this harsh reality, using the songs as bridging material. Sadly all this footage was scrapped and the classic songs like Yo ho ho and a trash can for me booty, Delusion It's a Delusion!, Stick with me or I'll stick this knife into your belly, Try to Suspend you Disbelief and Low below into the sewers we go were not used.

As mentioned above Hook is of course the evil corporate yuppie life style that Peter subconsciously feels is threatning his humanity, the fear of clocks symbolizing his own feeling of life and hence time slipping away from him. He attributes the kidnapping of his children to this anathema of his own life if you will, as the relentless work oriented life has in reality robbed them from him. Thus defeating Hook in the end he has regained his humanity and inner child, ready to start over again. Hook again might be viewed as a part of Peter's fractured psyche, the work oriented, cold psychopath side of his nature who he has to defeat once and for all by having the jaws of time, the crocodile, to consume him, leaving it behind for good. In the secret script he is also portrayed as a Dickensian styled street gang leader who confronts drunk Peter in London as he shambles drunk out of the house and after he encounters the hobos. Peter battles this "enemy" just as he battles Hook, finally dropping literally a ton of bricks on him on a construction yard, and defeats him, mirroring the crocodile in Neverland. This story is so multilayered and deep.

Wow. This thread is full of win!!

Isn't it just! Would you like me to expound on some other things in the psychologically driven secret script which no one but me has ever seen? Granny Wendy's dotage fully exposed, Moira having secret drug addiction, Tootles' mental torment under Wendy's despotic rule (her nice demeanor towards Peter is just a facade you know). ;)

That was all in Moira's and Wendy's plan, the kids were in on it and enforced the idea of someone at the window so Peter would think something was wrong and would go along with the kidnapping hoax. In a way they planted the seed into Peter's head from which sprang the delusional drug and booze induced rambling adventure he was having in his head while shambling through the streets of London trying to pick up the pieces of his fractured psyche. A clever ruse that's all.

but we only see him drinking after his kids were kidnapped and Granny Wendy told him he was "Peter Pan"

You don't think Moira had anything to do with that "spiced" drink do you? And of course Wendy told him that he is Peter Pan to gradually tip him over the edge. It all makes sense. It is a psychological portrait of a person going to pieces. Like Images.

You don't think Moira had anything to do with that "spiced" drink do you? And of course Wendy told him that is Peter Pan to gradually tip him over the edge. It all makes sense. It is a psychological portrait of a person going to pieces. Like Images.

remember when Moira was going to make tea, Peter offered to help but Wendy told him to stay with her. OF COURSE Moira was in on it!. lol

so....how did the kids dissapear? Phil collins?

They never left. I am sure Phil Collins had something to do in spiriting them away from the house during the bustle of the police investigation (all staged of course) for a while but it was all a plot to drive Peter into self reflection about his life and family. No one expect him to crack quite that heavily though. Moira should not have put so much LSD into his drink.