Film: HOOK

Admiral Holdo

So...the scene with the green lights and the window opening and the covers flying off and the kids freaking out was...?

Well on the more serious tone to that question: we never hear any explanation, and there is really no need for it, of how Hook got out of Neverland (presumably on Jolly Roger) to kidnap Pan's children in the first place. You just take that bit of magic of the story for granted. Same goes for the eerie green swirling light and flying blankets. It is just part of the fantasy of the story.

I would of course elaborate with more conspiratorial tone if I had inclination. But that manic well has run dry for the moment.

Hook is actually the Hulk

and the swirly green smoke is his.... you know what. (rhymes with smart)

So...the scene with the green lights and the window opening and the covers flying off and the kids freaking out was...?

Part of his drug induced hallucination.

Ah, I was going for the manic well answer, but that ship seems to have sailed. I never questioned it either; it's dramatically and cinematically effective, and I like it a lot.

One question that came up in that burst of genius that I am a bit curious on serious terms is the matter of the scary man in the window that said he was a window washer. Was that meant to be Hook?

I think it was Mr. Smee. He was the one that found Peter in the real world. If you notice, Hook has all these documents in Neverland pertaining to Peter and his family. When Peter denies that he's Peter Pan, Smee says something like "You trying to put me out of the job?" You also see him sweeping in a park at the end.

Well on the more serious tone to that question: we never hear any explanation, and there is really no need for it, of how Hook got out of Neverland (presumably on Jolly Roger) to kidnap Pan's children in the first place. You just take that bit of magic of the story for granted. Same goes for the eerie green swirling light and flying blankets. It is just part of the fantasy of the story.

No, that's where the movie breaks and never recovers. Hook and his pirate crew cannot fly. Their pirate ship is never seen to rise out of the water. They don't body snatch Lost Boys to fly for them. So how does Hook come to England, on the night that Peter Pan's kids are (presuambly) in the childhood room of John and Michael Darling, and steal them? If he can steal two kids from a bedroom in England, why can't he kidnap every Lost Boy from their compound, one by one, until he has finally won his ultimate war?

We are also expected to believe that Peter Pan, a boy with potentially hundreds of years' experience fighting pirates and Indians in a land where he never ages, comes to the world and forgets every single bit of his childhood, just because he turns into a cold, miserable business man. I'm sorry, but family men commit that kind of time to their jobs in order to keep their children fed and clothed and their wives from taking everything in the divorce. That doesn't mean they completely "forget" their childhood and what it meant to have a good time. I know plenty of 40-year-olds in the business world that still know how to have a good time.

Blah, blah, blah, it's just a movie. Well, these are two reasons why it's a very broken and troubled movie that I find very hard to watch and enjoy anymore. The third is the language used before the food fight. It, like Elliot's "penis breath" comment in E.T., are infantile and do not need to be in the movie.

Captain Hook uses his ship to kidnaps Jack and Maggie. It's not in the movie because the "magic" of the neverland is preserved until the first appearance of Tink.

In Snes video game, we can see the Jolly Roger pass the moon and in the Sega CD game, the Jolly Roger flying next to the Big Ben. (1:49 and 2:00)

Drew Struzan made this concept for the teaser poster:

jollyroger.jpg

So, visibly, the Jolly Roger flies... maybe with the help of Tinkerbell... the kidnapping idea is maybe a deal between Tink/Hook...

Hook kidnaps Lost Boys to count his treasure. They are with Maggie. But when you see all problems Spielberg got with the esclaves scenes in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, I understand why he cuts these scenes.

In Neverland, children lost their memories (John and Michael forget their parent, Wendy not). In Hook, Jack forgets his father until the ultimate war and the Rufio's death... It's a great game to be pirate and make war but we can die in Neverland.

Maggie never forgets his parents, all Maggie's scenes are deleted except the final of one of these scene with "When you're alone".

Peter Banning forget his childhood because in the real world, it's the reverse effect.

Sometime, you don't have memories of your dream, something like that. In the Peter Pan story, girls have visibly more abilities to resist to this effect. This is why Wendy remembers his adventures.

For the green lights, i don't think the reason of this element is in the story but in the symbol. Maybe a reference to an other movie with silhouettes on a windows with a green color.

Thomas, your knowledge of all thinga Hook is impressive as always. Good form! :)

How I wish we could all see those deleted scenes!!

Great info Thomas! :)

Spielberg has always been a bit stingy with those deleted scenes from his movies. Only a hand full of releases of his films contain them. It would be really interesting to see them for Hook among others.

The third is the language used before the food fight. It, like Elliot's "penis breath" comment in E.T., are infantile and do not need to be in the movie.

Yes it is infantile. Infantile means childish right, and that scene in E.T. is of children arguing.

It's a hilarious little tidbit!

The third is the language used before the food fight. It, like Elliot's "penis breath" comment in E.T., are infantile and do not need to be in the movie.

Yes it is infantile. Infantile means childish right, and that scene in E.T. is of children arguing.

It's a hilarious little tidbit!

Peter Banning: What in the hell's the matter with you? When are you gonna stop acting like a child?

Jack: [laughs] I am a child.

Peter Banning: Grow up.

Yes, I love that moment! That sort of childish humor is great. Never fails to bring a smile to my face, like many scenes in E.T.

"You lewd, crude, rude bag 'o pre-chewed food dude!"

All this " deep meaning" talk about HOOK has brought out the comical side in me. Please forgive this post, and I can only hope you see the humor..

• 5 years later...

Everything's changed. Men fall from the sky. The gods hurl thunderbolts. Innocents die. That's how it starts, sir. The fever, the rage. The feeling of...powerlessness...that turns good men...cruel.

41 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Everything's changed. Men fall from the sky. The gods hurl thunderbolts. Innocents die. That's how it starts, sir. The fever, the rage. The feeling of...powerlessness...that turns good men...cruel.

Great film!

• 2 months later...
On 05/04/2012 at 4:23 PM, Incanus said:
On 05/04/2012 at 4:20 PM, Faleel said:

so....how did the kids dissapear? Phil collins?

They never left. I am sure Phil Collins had something to do in spiriting them away from the house during the bustle of the police investigation (all staged of course) for a while but it was all a plot to drive Peter into self reflection about his life and family. No one expect him to crack quite that heavily though. Moira should not have put so much LSD into his drink.

I'm sure the kids listened to that hypocritical turd BUT SERIOUSLY and thought "fuck that, we're outta here!".

• 3 months later...

For a start, he flew from Wembley, to Philadelphia...on fucking Concorde, for fuck's sake! If that wasn't laughing in the face of what Live Aid was all about, then I don't know what was?

He then got way above his station, and started ingratiating himself with just about everybody, and everywhere: films, TV, records - not to mention his stuff with Genesis. As the 90s progressed, the record sales dropped off, and he quit Genesis. He truly was flavour of the month, for about nine years. Thankfully, Britpop, blew people like him to kingdom come.

I'm not saying he wasn't talented. Just check out his song-writing credits, and his percussion work with both Genesis, and Brand X, proves that he can be a phenomenal drummer. It's just that he was the figurehead for all the "corporate rock", that seemed to define the 80s. 

@Richard I, for one, like corporate rock, both as an cultural artifact of its time, and because musically, it wasn't all that bad.  Something to do with classically trained keyboardists being given blank cheques maybe.

I do agree that album was a bit hypocritical.  I do love I Wish it Would Rain Down, though.  

Alright, I'll give you that, Steve. Don't tell anyone, but...(sshhh!)...I happen to like SOMETHING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO HEAVEN.

I guess my big problem is with ADIP - a sickly, two-faced piece of work.

Art as expression, not as market campaigns...

Ps I tried to pm you, but couldn't. Check out the Electronic Music thread, over the next few days...

Mr Movies / Miles Prower logged back in 5 years after leaving the site just to change his screen name to Admiral Holdo?

And in this thread we also find many Bloodboal posts wiped out :(

• 5 years later...