La-La Land Records' HOOK (2CD Expanded) Discussion thread

Jay

Did Mike go to various sites around the globe to dig up materials for expansion?  I've read in some cases (i.e. Superman) where they were in a salt mine in Kansas and I'm assuming the masters were shipped to California?

8 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Did Mike go to various sites around the globe to dig up materials for expansion?  I've read in some cases (i.e. Superman) where they were in a salt mine in Kansas and I'm assuming the masters were shipped to California?

Yes, often. I think Botanicus was found in Florida, and album masters have regularly been found in different countries (England for the E.T. album master, if I remember correctly -- the master tapes were burned in the LA Universal fire).

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I was really confused when Didier claimed the only reason Mike didn't do Hook was because he was based in LA and the master tapes were in NYC!

Just an utterly absurd reason, all things considered. How many expansions has Mike done now where the master tapes were scattered all over the globe?

Perhaps Mike had a bad internet connection at the time.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Let's call that "the recording session leak", not "the bootleg" - to avoid confusion with the two 90s bootlegs for this score

Anyway, the recording session leak certainly did NOT contain "all the film stem music"; The only thing it has that comes from the film's music stem on the LLL CD is the end battle cues and the end credits opening.  The film version ending of Flight to Neverland and the film version of Banning Back Home are both on the LLL CD via the film's music stem but neither are in the recording sessions leak (the former was on the 90s bootlegs, the latter has never leaked).

And there is still music heard in the film (and therefore presumably clean on the film's music stem) that is both not on the LLL CD and has never leaked at all - the rest of 1m2 Peter's Entrance, the film version of 1m5 God Rest You Merry Gentlemen, the proper film version vocal overlays for 5m5 Show Us Your Hook, the drum insert for 7m5 The Lost Boys Ballet, the entirety of 8m4A Pick 'Em Up, the complete version of 10m3/11m1A Take Me Out To The Ballgame, the 13m2 To War!! insert, the 13m3 Crossed Swords insert, etc

I think a  near perfect  playlist can be made by combining cues of the LLL and recording sessions leak. I also use Farewell Neverland from the OST. I made a good edit of the feast insert from the Concorde boot (the only good sounding part of that boot)  So all and all I'd say I don't care if this ever released again

Unless there's tons of unused music and alternates we never heard

Just now, Jay said:

I don't think any specialty label should ever make any decisions on what to release or not based on the existence of boots, promos, or isolated scores

Yeah I certainly hope not!

I remember Mike said he can use it as a tool to convince JW, like with A.I., to get a new JW-approved release out to supersede and devalue the non-approved promo.

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

I remember Mike said he can use it as a tool to convince JW, like with A.I., to get a new JW-approved release out to supersede and devalue the non-approved promo.

Exactly!

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

But that didn't determine LLL trying to license it from WB or not.

But they wouldn't try to license it if JW wasn't going to approve it, right?

I've never heard of a label checking with a composer first before licensing something from a studio.  That's not really how it works.

Okay, but since LLL wouldn't dream of releasing anything by JW without his consent, and since they've been burned before (Sugarland Express), I'd be surprised if they didn't check with him beforehand whether a release is completely out of the question.

How was anyone burned by Sugarland Express?  Universal Pictures has never granted a license to that score to anyone.  No money was exchanged anywhere

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never heard of a label checking with a composer first before licensing something from a studio.  That's not really how it works.

Agreed. Since the studio probably owns the music, anyway, the studio wouldn't need the composer's permission. With someone like JW, however, they might just ask, as a courtesy.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

How was anyone burned by Sugarland Express?  Universal Pictures has never granted a license to that score to anyone.  No money was exchanged anywhere.

I'm not talking about licensing fees, which of course aren't paid if there's no release, but rather the significant work put down by the label working on a release which seems to have come pretty far before JW nixed it.

I don't know where you get the idea they put any work into it.  No label has put any work into it.  No label has a license for it.

But good to know it's rotting away because JW is too humble/self-deprecating! Is it the same case with Story of a Woman?

Mike told us in London that Sugarland Express was preserved fine.  The tapes have been transferred, he has it digitally.  JW doesn't want it released, so we wait.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Mike told us in London that Sugarland Express was preserved fine.  The tapes have been transferred, he has it digitally.  JW doesn't want it released, so we wait

...for?

7 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

...for?

He indicated to us he had an idea or a plan of how to release it, something like that.  It should be mentioned in the thread:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28986-details-from-mike-matessinos-london-talk/

• 4 months later...

So something I only recently discovered about this release is that the end credits track was just ripped from the film stems, and that "exit music" was Williams' intended close to the credits suite. I just figured, seeing as mostly everything in the credits is tracked from the score proper, that Kensington Gardens was intended the same way.

I figured Exit Music was a short suite Williams wrote to close off the soundtrack! Go figure.

• 1 month later...

Is there any known explanation for why the HOOK OST included the crappy version of "The Arrival of Tink / Flight to Neverland", where the theme disappointingly falls off at the end, rather than the triumphant full version included on this LLL expansion? That choice has always puzzled me.

Yep.  The OST presents how he originally composed and recorded the cue.  The longer ending is an Insert recorded later.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

so i was listening to Hook (not a score i listen to often or know much of tbh), and the cue 'The Banquet' came on, and I was like holy smokes, that sounds familiar.  Well it's quite obvious an episode of Young Indy was temp-tracked with The Banquet cue.  Pretty cool in my book!  Take from the best!