La-La Land Records' HOOK (2CD Expanded) Discussion thread

Jay

Another sample from Ultimate War 3 where the sound gets iffy.... At 0:08 the volume slowly starts to fade down too much until 0:11-0:12 where its pretty noticeable that its too low for whats going on and then the volume jumps back up.

http://www.peeje.com/files/361937422/UW3-Sample.mp3.html

It's funny to me that they actually mention the pitch of the prologue in the liner notes: "...this presentation plays at a slightly slower speed (and lower pitch) than the music heard in the actual teaser."

Interesting.

Oops - I missed where that was already mentioned. Carry on... :)

This go-round, I'm noticing how closely in style much of Hook is related to Last Crusade. The similarities to Home Alone have always been obvious to me, but I'm hearing a lot of LC mannerisms today (which is awesome).

Quick question: Is Rufio's theme included?

Yup in the From Mermaids To Lost Boys track, just like the Concorde boot

The only thing that was on the old boots that isnt here is the Never-Feast insert

What about the orchestral music at the end of "Never Feast Second Unused Long Version" that's used instead of the When your Alone song (on the concorde boot)

Trent in Utah received his copy today, pretty speedy shipping.

So Trent what do you think of the packaging, artwork, etc?

Yeah any comments on art and liner notes?

So with what is on the CD, it is fairly easy to reconstruct Williams's original intentions for the End Credits?

Seems to be. I'm certainly going to try.

How the hell did Trent get his so quickly? I'm in the same state as LLL and I didn't get it! *mock-anger*

This go-round, I'm noticing how closely in style much of Hook is related to Last Crusade. The similarities to Home Alone have always been obvious to me, but I'm hearing a lot of LC mannerisms today (which is awesome).

You're right; there's a lot of stylistic overlap, almost as though Williams had the same mischievous gleam in his eye as he penned each score.

And you just gotta love that lush, generous melodicism that pervades his work circa 1989-1993.

I can't believe we literally have an almost complete Hook, and people are bitching. It's almost unbelievable to me. Seriously, if only film stems are available, what can LLL do about it?

And i can't believe grown men cannot grasp that a well-reasoned disappointment over lost master tapes for the most important set piece is not a court-martial for the label releasing film stems. It just sucks, however you look at it. Period.

Tout est pour le mieux dans le meilleur des mondes.

The packaging is beautiful. Jim Titus' artwork is stellar as always.

The back tray is the image that was used for the OST, while the front cover we know what it looks like. The inside back tray is a picture of Smee from the "Ultimate War" portion when he's saying, "Time for....Smee", smiles and starts putting Hook's treasures and gold down his pants. The picture on Disc 1 is of Peter (in the Pan outfit) and Disc 2 is the picture of Hook. The liner notes are very well done, similar to a track by track analysis that Jeff Bond has done for the expanded Star Trek releases.

The overall quality too for the score is pretty good, except for the unreleased Ultimate War segments. As we know the original elements for that unreleased portion could NOT be located. However, it's better than not having them at all. I'm sort of disappointed that the cues from the OST were retained for this set, especially for "We Don't Wanna Grow Up". I was hoping that would have been pulled from the film stems and added on as a bonus track, similar for the film version for "Banning Back Home".

Honestly, I was expecting this to show up by either tomorrow (Friday) or Saturday. I was pleasantly surprised to see it sitting in the mailbox when I checked the mail this evening after getting home.

If anyone wants any pictures of the whole packaging details I'll be happy to take some pictures tomorrow.

You're right; there's a lot of stylistic overlap, almost as though Williams had the same mischievous gleam in his eye as he penned each score.

And you just gotta love that lush, generous melodicism that pervades his work circa 1989-1993.

Definitely. It is amazing how effortless and joyous Hook, TLC and other works around that period sound.

Listening to the samples again....

The Ultimate War sounds much better than the old rips! its a revelation!

And its great to finally have "Hooks Madness"/"The Clock Museum" in clear quality!

The Ultimate War sounds much better than the old rips! its a revelation!

And its great to finally have "Hooks Madness"/"The Clock Museum" in clear quality!

You already have the album?

It is weird! I live in Southern California too and still don't have mine! Granted it'll probably come today, but it's still shocking that you got it first all the way out there when we had to have ordered at around the same time! Wow... my state's postal service SUCKS! lol. If it doesn't come today I'll be severely disappointed lol.

Oh Duh!

BTW, Presenting the Hook Film Version can replace the version on Disc 1 of the LLL right?

Yea you can just completely remove the version on disc 1 from your personal play list; Everything in it appears in the same quality in the disc 2 version

2:45

Is it possible to do with just the LLL tracks (and without sounding awkward)?

I haven't tried

Ok, a few gripes:

1) The Ultimate War tracks retained a few loops that could have been undone (since I can do this myself, no big deal)

2) That friggin' dropout in the End Credits is still there!!! The stems are probably all LLL had to work with, but still... a little annoying. I'm going to try to fix this one too.

Other than that, this package is marvelous. Art direction's fantastic, sound quality's great (even the stuff from the film stems... not bad at all), the music is of course fantastic and all the important stuff is here. LLL did a hell of a job putting this together, and I couldn't possibly commend them more.

If anyone wants any pictures of the whole packaging details I'll be happy to take some pictures tomorrow.

I'm interested !

Two days to wait for me...

ARGH I can't wait !!!

So, just because I haven't had time to listen to the entire set yet, does this pretty much render the 2 early boots (along with the other 3-4cd boots out there) obsolete? Or is there anything that needs to be saved?

Film stems or not, having the entire Ultimate War is something I've been waiting to appear for a very, very, very long time. I've been living with ChrusherComix's & Takis' early rips for soooo long! It's nice to hear it SFX free...almost seems weird.

Got mine today! Yay! Just finished listening to it. A very nice addition and a great set! The liner notes are also superbly done. Lots of information and photos, my favorite photo being of Smee on the inside cover behind the CDs. LOL.

So, is it too early now to start chanting something like "Bring on Jurassic Park next year for it's Anniversary!" I really think it could be next now, especially after the success of this. ;)

So, just because I haven't had time to listen to the entire set yet, does this pretty much render the 2 early boots (along with the other 3-4cd boots out there) obsolete? Or is there anything that needs to be saved?

Film stems or not, having the entire Ultimate War is something I've been waiting to appear for a very, very, very long time. I've been living with ChrusherComix's & Takis' early rips for soooo long! It's nice to hear it SFX free...almost seems weird.

The only thing on the old boots not on the new set is the film version of The Never-Feast.

There is still music in the film itself not on the new CD that you might have heard DVD rips of.... those parts are:

-Piano music for the play at the beginning

- God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

-drum insert for The Lost Boys Chase

-the "Pick Em Up" song

-Take Me Out To The Ballgame

-The two inserts in The Ultimate War

Okay sorry it took a bit more time but here are pictures from my own set.

http://photobucket.com/Hook-LLL

:crymore: :crymore: :crymore: :crymore: :crymore: :crymore: It's Beautiful!... the cover art, photos, etc.... Especially like that they used the photo from the Orig. album for the back cover. . Hope mine comes in soon. How are the liner notes?

The liner notes are great; not a whole lot of information that was new (we can thank this message board for that :P), but it's a good read and I was surprised every now and then. It was nice to get some clarification on what Tootles' theme was for (I thought it was a finale theme or something this whole time).

Neat pictures Trent! :)

Jim Titus rules! What a wonderful looking design! And I love the images on the discs themselves. I am going to delve into the liner notes a bit deeper after I get my copy though. A brief look showed that they are very well written.

How are the liner notes?

The liner notes are wonderful. All though I have yet go fully read through them. When I did a bit of a pass-over regarding them I enjoyed reading what I did read.

I got the CD today. It took only 4 days to arrive to The Netherlands!

And? Your first impressions?

Blown away? Or did it not quite reach your expectations? :)