The Official Frank Darabont Thread

Josh500

The Official Frank Darabont Thread  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite Frank Darabont movie?

• The Shawshank Redemption
    • The Green Mile
    • The Mist
    • Other. (Which?)
    • I don't know enough FD movies to vote.
  2. 2. How would you rate "The Shawshank Redemption"?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star
    • Haven't seen it.
  3. 3. How would you rate "The Green Mile"?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star
    • Haven't seen it.
  4. 4. How would you rate "The Mist"?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star
    • Haven't seen it.
  5. 5. How would you rate the TV-series "The Walking Dead" (Season 1)?

• 5 stars
    • 4,5 stars
    • 4 stars
    • 3,5 stars
    • 3 stars
    • 2,5 stars
    • 2 stars
    • 1,5 stars
    • 1 star
    • Haven't seen it.

One of the most talented directors in recent years, Frank Darabont has achieved fame and success with 3 Stephen King adaptations... some of the very best ever!

Well, what do you guys have to say about him/his works? Go to town! Discuss! :)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank Darabont walked away from The Walking Dead after season 1, season 2 was done without his input. So maybe you could adjust the poll to say "Walking Dead (Season 1)"

I voted:

1. The Shawshank Redemption

2. TSSR: 5 stars

3. TGM: 4,5 stars

4. TM: 3 stars

5. Haven't seen it... yet! (Which is why I am curious to hear your opinions on this series. And mark SPOILERS please!)

Frank Darabont walked away from The Walking Dead after season 1, season 2 was done without his input. So maybe you could adjust the poll to say "Walking Dead (Season 1)"

Done!

TSR is probably one of the best movies ever made. Has one of the most moving and powerful ending I have ever seen. (And of course the Stephen King novella on which this is based too.)

Durabont get's King.

Shawshank is a better film than the Green Mile, but I actually enjoy the Green Mile better.

He also did a short called The Woman in the Room, another King adaption, quite effective story about a son killing his invalid mother. It sounds reprehensible but it is a story of compassion and love.

I was actually a bit underwhelmed with "The Mist."

I've read the novella, of course (many times!), and this is Frank Darabont, so I was expecting a LOT, but dunno! The movie was good, but I thought it could have been better. And the ending was not my cup of tea (those who saw it know what I am talking about).

Who knows? Maybe it helps if I watch it in black and white! :P

TSR is probably one of the best movies ever made.

Yep! I gave it 5 stars, and everything else 4 stars

shawshank is in my top 5 movies. newman's best score as well.

Sometimes it makes me sad, though, Andy being gone. I have to remind myself that some birds aren’t meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice. But still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty when they’re gone. I guess I just miss my friend.

:crymore:

shawshank is in my top 5 movies. newman's best score as well.

Sometimes it makes me sad, though, Andy being gone. I have to remind myself that some birds aren’t meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice. But still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty when they’re gone. I guess I just miss my friend.

:crymore:

Gotta be honest, when I watched the movie (it's been a while), I didn't pay much attention to the score. I should rewatch this, paying closer attention to the music...

Actually listening to it now! :lol:

The ending of the mist is what makes the film great, it's so daring, so raw. SO POWERFUL.

Have you read the novella? Collected in Stephen King's Different Seasons?

haha I was actually planning on reading the different seasons collection after I'm done reading ROTK (in english, for the first time).

have you?

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, King's take on the Count of Monte Cristo, isn't even the best tale in Different Seasons.

The novella the Body was made into a great film by Rob Reiner, Stand By Me. Bryan Singer made a decent movie out of Apt Pupil,

but the best story, the Breathing Method has never been made, most likely will never be made and it trumps the other 3 storys easily.

haha I was actually planning on reading the different seasons collection after I'm done reading ROTK (in english, for the first time).

have you?

Yes, of course!

As a big SK fan, I have read most of his novels and collections multiple times. If you are such a big fan of the film, I think you'll get a kick out of the novella. It's quite short--a little over 100 pages in the paperback edition, I think--but it packs a punch for all that (or maybe because of its brevity).

One of the funniest scenes: "Oh shit it's shiiiittttt!" ;)

Gotta be honest, when I watched the movie (it's been a while), I didn't pay much attention to the score. I should rewatch this, paying closer attention to the music...

you definitely should!

imo, newman's best years were between 94-03 (shawshank, little women, meet joe black, green mile, american beauty, finding nemo, road to perdition)

The Shawshank Redemption is number one, both in film and score.

I quite enjoy The Green Mile as well. One of the saddest films I've seen.

I liked The Mist but I found the ending to be shocking just to be shocking. I admire the balls it took to do that, but I don't think it had the intended affect on me.

Darabont wrote a script for the last Indiana Jones film but George Lucas for some reason did not like it.Still, I heard parts of Darabont's script made it into Indy 4. Not sure how much of it was used in Crystal skull but I wish he would write a new Indidana Jones script. I would also like to see Frank dorect more feature films. I LOVED THE MIST and of course, I don't know anyone who did not like SHAWSHANK. Always thought Darabont would be good to write a third CHINATOWN movie.That could be good.

Parts of the script "..and the Sons of Darkness" also made it into the fourth Indiana Jones film, but without ever being filmed, it remains merely a piece of fan fiction.

Albeit fan fiction that would have been far superior to what we actually got.

you definitely should!

imo, newman's best years were between 94-03 (shawshank, little women, meet joe black, green mile, american beauty, finding nemo, road to perdition)

I've never been a Thomas Newman fan. Dunno. He seems like another Marc Shaiman or Mark Isham!

But yeah, I will rewatch this movie paying closer attention to the score.

I've only seen The Walking Dead, but I'd like to see his films.

You haven't seen The Green Mile or Shawshank? :blink:

And how did you like TWD?

Albeit fan fiction that would have been far superior to what we actually got.

I think most fan fiction is! :P

Darabont wrote a script for the last Indiana Jones film but George Lucas for some reason did not like it.Still, I heard parts of Darabont's script made it into Indy 4. Not sure how much of it was used in Crystal skull but I wish he would write a new Indidana Jones script. I would also like to see Frank dorect more feature films. I LOVED THE MIST and of course, I don't know anyone who did not like SHAWSHANK. Always thought Darabont would be good to write a third CHINATOWN movie.That could be good.

Apparently Darabont also worked on Saving Private Ryan!

Yeah, I would have loved Spielberg to shoot Darabont's version of Indy! Who knows? Maybe he'll come on board for Indy 5! :mrgreen:

Yeah, I would have loved Spielberg to shoot Darabont's version of Indy! Who knows? Maybe he'll come on board for Indy 5! :mrgreen:

The script was a really mixed bag. Some of it might have been nice to see on the big screen, some would be as cringe inducing as nuke the fridge and other things found irritating or funny in Indy IV. It was way too dense and convoluted if anything.

The script was a really mixed bag. Some of it might have been nice to see on the big screen, some would be as cringe inducing as nuke the fridge and other things found irritating or funny in Indy IV. It was way too dense and convoluted if anything.

You know, I've read parts of the script! I didn't think it was that bad. And it certainly was better than what we got!

His script would not have improved things. We'd just have a different bad movie.

Well, I doubt it would have been as bad as the David Koepp version! God, I can't stand that guy!

But no, there's no way of knowing, I guess.

The best Darabont film is The Shawshank Redemption, easily. However, The Green Mile is a great film as well

I'm not sure why The Majestic was not included on the poll, and surprised no one else even brought it up. Very Capra-esque.

I've never been a Thomas Newman fan. Dunno. He seems like another Marc Shaiman or Mark Isham!

oh the sacrilege....

Indeed. Thomas Newman apart from having and developing a truly indelible style of his own in the world of film scores that has been copied countless times by others with far less effective results is like his father before him a master of melody and dramatic instinct. He often says more with less, prefers to focus on smaller ensembles but he certainly is not as, I am sorry to say this about these gentlemen, anonymous as Isham or Shaiman whose scores are often quite utilitarian. But I have to say Newman's most recent scores have suffered from either anonymity or overt subtleness and repetition of his old quirks which is a great shame since he is capable of so much more. I am hoping that the new Bond film will reinvigorate him.

Indeed. Thomas Newman apart from having and developing a truly indelible style of his own in the world of film scores that has been copied countless times by others with far less effective results is like his father before him a master of melody and dramatic instinct. He often says more with less, prefers to focus on smaller ensembles but he certainly is not as, I am sorry to say this about these gentlemen, anonymous as Isham or Shaiman whose scores are often quite utilitarian. But I have to say Newman's most recent scores have suffered from either anonymity or overt subtleness and repetition of his old quirks which is a great shame since he is capable of so much more. I am hoping that the new Bond film will reinvigorate him.

couldn't have said it better myself. I'm absolutely in love with his minimalistic yet complex style.

yep, his recent scores have been somewhat disappointing. the help wasn't too bad though. and I'm not that excited about the new bond film, I want a new pixar score!

I'm not sure why The Majestic was not included on the poll, and surprised no one else even brought it up. Very Capra-esque.

Well, because nobody's seen it! :P

That's included in the "Other" option, anyway!

couldn't have said it better myself. I'm absolutely in love with his minimalistic yet complex style.

yep, his recent scores have been somewhat disappointing. the help wasn't too bad though. and I'm not that excited about the new bond film, I want a new pixar score!

Hmmm, I have to watch some more Newman-scored movies, paying closer attention to the music!

So far I have only seen: Finding Nemo, Red Corner, Wall-E, The Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, American Beauty, Meet Joe Black.

:)

Hmmm, I have to watch some more Newman-scored movies, paying closer attention to the music!

So far I have only seen: Finding Nemo, Red Corner, Wall-E, The Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, American Beauty, Meet Joe Black.

And of course listen to the soundtrack albums my good man. Give them time and listen them with thought since Newman's thematic ideas often require careful listen to fully appreciate. Shawshank alone has 4 or 5 distinct thematic ideas running through the score. Also I fully admit that his brand of ambient scoring is not for everybody. I have learned to appreciate even his more atmospheric music over the years.

Yes, I used to dismiss Thomas Newman's scores, but he might be a cut above Shaiman and Isham, after all! :)

Not that Shaiman and Isham are bad composers, you understand.

are you on spotify? I'll make you a playlist :)

Road to Perdition is a great score, very accessible by Newman standards and with a wonderful main theme. The one in the video is what could be said to be the other main theme, The Home/Safety or The Farm Theme. Watch the film. It is pretty good actually.

Damn I was listening to "Road to Perdition," and all of a sudden I found myself listening to this:

This is such a grand emotional fantastic piece! Quite underrated around here, IMO.

Yeah, I might sign up on Spotify too! :)

Listening to this now, although I haven't seen the movie yet:

Have you?

well, I've had a huge crush on hanks for as long as I can remember... so yeah.

apparently, you no longer need an invite to sign up on spotify :)http://www.spotify.com/se/get-spotify/overview/

Really? :lol:

I am also quite a big fan of his, especially because he's played in several Spielberg movies and because he seems such a nice, down-to-earth guy in real life.

• 6 months later...

oh the sacrilege....

The Shawshank Redemption score is sublime. It really enhanced the film - which, by itself, was already good. Perfect combination.

But it took me a couple of attempts to get into score. But that's more rewarding than scores that try to please so much that they become dull after three runs.

I generally agree that Newman had better years, but I really loved The Adjustment Bureau and Revolutionary Road scores.

High hopes for Skyfall.

Really? :lol:

I am also quite a big fan of his, especially because he's played in several Spielberg movies and because he seems such a nice, down-to-earth guy in real life.

I'm very divided on the issue of Dan Brown, but Tom Hanks' Langdon was spot on. The guy seemed almost too smooth in the books, but Tom Hanks really did it.

Oh, and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close from this year. Brilliant.

are you on spotify? I'll make you a playlist :)

Thomas Newman playlist... Sounds intriguing...

Aside from the voting... I had read a few years ago that Frank was going to direct a new version of Fahrenheit 451. I wish he had. It would be cool to see the stuff the original film left out........ one of them being the mechanical hound.

I've been waiting for that for like 7 years. Unfortunately he abandoned the project because no one wanted to produce/distribute. He said if he wasn't able to get it done before Bradbury's death, he wasn't going to do it.