• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why?....

WHY?!

WWWWWHHHHYYYYYYY?!

Seriously though... it seems like someone sat down and said, "Let's take this really cool sci-fi film that tons of people love, remove any 'fun' aspects, and make it look like it belongs in a Matrix marathon!". I mean, apart from the core story of the original film (if they even keep that accurately), Total Recal is remembered for it's fun WTF moments. Can they possibly even have those in this version? It looks so mainstream and typical that it could possibly be boring. And really, to make a story like that one boring... ugh. And I bet the music will be generic as hell, to boot.

Composed by Harry Gregson-Williams, the king of generic scores. (Still thinks Cowboys and Aliens is the most generic score ever).

I do like Bryan Cranston, I didn't realize that was him, but now I do! I actually used to know him in a way. He made a film near my town when I was way younger. A lower budget film that he wrote for his wife called Last Chance, a drama. I was able to visit the set everyday and they let me watch them film and see all aspects of production. It was a really cool experience, although I admit I wish I had been a bit older to really appreciate it more like I would today. Him and the rest of his crew were really nice and wonderful people, and I've loved him in pretty much every role that was given to him.

That being said... I still don't hold much hope for this particular film! LOL

Will ...not....be....seeing...it.

That said I'm getting real damn tired of all these remakes. Hollywood ran out of original ideas with the first remake....which was what?

The remake game isn't entirely a bad thing, actually. There have been some very good remakes over the years, but like any film that comes out every year, they are diamonds in the rough. Probably my favorite remake of all time was the 80s version of The Thing by John Carpenter. The original "The Thing From Another World" is a classic in it's own right, but no one can deny that the 80s remake is far superior in the scares and psychological/paranoia department. For me it is the superior film, and even for those that it isn't, it is still very much respected. Another one is the 70s version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Both it and the original 50s version are amazing films, but each in their own ways.

Now, as for any good remakes lately, like in the last 10 years? Not that I have seen. Some have been decent, but in the end, they end up being pointless. Like the colored version of Psycho in 1998.

Composed by Harry Gregson-Williams, the king of generic scores. (Still thinks Cowboys and Aliens is the most generic score ever).

Hey at least this is some kind of Williams.

Karol

Well, this is meant to be a new film adaptation of Phillip K. Dick's short story "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale," first published in 1966. I believe they could have selected a better title so that people don't expect it to be a remake of Ahunld's movie. They may be banking on that title bringing in audiences, just like Ocean's Eleven, The Manchurian Candidate, and (The) Flight of the Phoenix.

And yet, I think the poo will really hit the fan when somebody decides to film a new adaptation of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

In comparison, the MR trailer looks 100 times more exciting!

They are remaking "Minority Report"???!!! I gotta see this one!!!!!!! I hope J.W. scores it.

Nah, it'll be probably be Djawadi at the head of the music (with his army of assistants).

Seriously, though, I am not gonna see this.

The original Total Recall is one of my favorite sci-fi movies. Watching this remake might ruin it for me.

Kate Beckinsale with her English accent is freaking cute though!

The original movie treads on a very narrow line between being an absolutely ridiculous cornfest and a likable, trashy sci fi actioner, and it does it with style. It's the sort of aproach that is very easy for it to go completely astray, but Verhoeven really pulls it off. The movie is so likable, that its flaws realy become some of its biggest assets. And what a score

The original movie treads on a very narrow line between being an absolutely ridiculous cornfest and a likable, trashy sci fi actioner, and it does it with style. It's the sort of aproach that is very easy for it to go completely astray, but Verhoeven really pulls it off. The movie is so likable, that its flaws realy become some of its biggest assets. And what a score

Well, Verhoeven is one talented director, IMHO. So that this movie turned out so great is no accident!

Sure he had some misfires too (Showgirls), but which director hasn't?

That score is one of my all-time favorites.

I agree w/ your analysis about the film, but in my opinion it applies more to the second half, which takes place on Mars. While the film stays on Earth, it's able to deliver suspense and high-octane action w/ a straight face (no surprise, since the original short story never sets foot on Mars).