If Adele does the theme to "Skyfall"....

Perdogg

I wasn't a fan of "Another Way To Die" until a few months ago. It's good when you realize it's just another Jack White song without trying to shoehorn it into Bond.

Shoehorn it?Their task was to write a Bond song, not "just another Jack White song".

You evaluate scores as music when it's meant to conform to a film, why can't the same be done for songs? It's not a great Bond song, but it's a good song.

I think the opposite. It's not a good song on its own, but it works well in the film when it appears, setting the mood.

No flavour at all. Matter of taste, I guess.

Karol

Your lack of taste?

Haha, maybe.

But, seriously, what's so special about it? Despite the fact it's sung by a man?

Karol

I get knock down but I get up again no ones ever going to keep me down

Longer version of the song (some Spanish at the beginning, radio rip I think)

http://soundcloud.co...b/adele-skyfall

EDIT: Apparently it's French, not Spanish. You European weirdos need to start speakin' American. ;)

Lyrics by Don Black,

The genius behind "His eye may be on you or me/ Who will he bang?/ We shall see. Oh yeah!"?

Granted, the lyrics for TWINE fine, as is the melody. It's everything else that doesn't work.

and far better instrumentation by David Arnold.

Nah, the orchestration is far too cluttered and over-embellished (especially those stupid trumpet stabs and falls), which is what you get with Arnold for the most part. The key behind Barry's music is one that DA never gets. Less is more.

Nah, the orchestration is far too cluttered and over-embellished (especially those stupid trumpet stabs and falls), which is what you get with Arnold for the most part. The key behind Barry's music is one that DA never gets. Less is more.

I like a good portion of Arnold's work, but yeah, you've nailed it. It's why I like Shaft (...the score!) so much, he keeps it low-key. His melodic work is fine, and I like his integration of the Barry sound with electronics, but his action cues often descend into noisy nonsense. Bond's calm and collected, the music isn't much of either.

Lyrics by Don Black,

The genius behind "His eye may be on you or me/ Who will he bang?/ We shall see. Oh yeah!"?

Huh. I had always heard that as "Who will he burn?" Which didn't make much sense, but I had never really thought about it until now.

I'm not sure what to make of the song, actually. It is pleasant enough, and Adele's voice is great, but I can't help but feel that it lacks inspiration. The orchestration mimicks the Bond theme, with some piano.

I think her voice could have been even better, had it been accompanied with better orchestration.

I'm still processing the song as a whole, but a couple things struck me on the second listen. Probably just coincidental, since they're all just variations on the Bond theme, but @ 3:02 it sounds like Bond '77 from TSWLM, and then @ 3:13 it sounds like the way Arnold used it in the opening chases of TWINE and DAD.

Adele sounds great, and so does the orchestra. But the lyrics are awful! The repetitions of the word "Skyfall" are really tiresome, and I can't figure out what the song is about. "This is the end," "You can have my number, but not my heart," "We'll stand together" ... It doesn't sound thought through.

It's well produced, and I like it overall, but on the first listen I can't help feeling Adele's performance lacks a certain edge, coming off somewhat measured and lethargic.

Sorry guys this is boring and not par with the great songs of the past for 007.

Also I find it sad that people can't write a 9# chord.

So many mistakes on the arrangement. Tragic...

For example?

It's a good song, but I can't help thinking I've heard it in an earlier Bond film. It's not a bad 007 song either, the rhythm will jive perfectly with the credits with gyrating nude silhouettes.

It really sounds like a mix of Tomorrow Never Dies and No Good About Goodbyes.

The chorus shouldn't be there IMO, I'd rather have a kick-ass orchestral counterpoint like, well, practically every Bond song before GoldenEye. And it lacks an interesting melody.

Lyrics by Don Black,

Huh. I had always heard that as "Who will he burn?" Which didn't make much sense, but I had never really thought about it until now.

It's neither. It's "Who will he bag?", as in "Who will he kill?"

I'd planned on not listening to the Adele song until I saw the movie, but I caved. I love it. And I gave it a test today by putting it into a playlist along with the other theme songs, then going for a long walk and listening to 'em all back-to-back. It fit in perfectly well, so it passed the test as far as I'm concerned.

It really sounds like a mix of Tomorrow Never Dies and No Good About Goodbyes.

That's it. And it reminds me a bit of Gladys Knight's "License to Kill" for some reason too.

I've never been a Bond fan and although I live by the rule that I won't waste time and energy on things I don't like, I will make an exception for the Skyfall song since I kinda like Adele.

It's not a bad song. It's actually good, BUT...

... The melody-line of the chorus is just so freaking ANNOYING. It's not badly composed and it's even catchy in a sense, but some melodies should just be avoided I feel. This is one of them. It's not very pleasant to listen to.

It's a shame, because the verses are very effective and one is led to believe that they build toward a monumental chorus. Instead we are 'treated' to what I consider one of the most annoying melodies ever written.

For that reason Skyfall is ultimately ineffective and a somewhat weird song. Too bad. The arrangement is FANTASTIC though, which only adds to my frustration.