The most beautiful phrase of music written by James Horner

I find this melodic phrase to be one of the loveliest Horner has ever written. I think deep and long melodies sound the most "sweeping".

The one here at 2:24 to 2:42 just before the main theme clicks in at 2:42 ->

I believe this phrase is reprised only once again in the score and that too during the end titles.

Here it is at 2:16 to 2:31 again followed by the main theme. ->

And yet, in the famous track Theme from Braveheart, this phrase, heard (by my estimation) just twice in the whole score recieves an epic rendition.

Here it is at 1:06 to 1:20 once again followed by the main theme. ->

Is it supposed to be a part of the main theme or is it supposed to be a variation. And why isn't it played more often in the score?

And ain't it lovely?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, but also, one of my favorite moments in that score is after William Wallace yells " Freedooooooooooom" before being beheaded. The music at that point all the way to when the choir kicks in with the rendition of " for the love of a princess" is marvelous . Gives me chills every time.

Horner's children's theme in Something Wicked This Way Comes is gorgeous... and it's given an exquisite arrangement in the "End Credits" cue. And Journey of Natty Gann is a great extension of that sound.

The tearjerking stuff i. e. in WHISPERING WINDS is through-and-through Horner. I'm rather partial to MIGHTY JOE YOUNG's theme and of course, the main themes from GLORY and LEGENDS OF THE FALL rule (more so than BRAVHEART).

And no, Horner's enterprise theme isn't only no match for JG, i never liked it much to begin with.

There's stuff in The Land Before Time that makes me tear up.

(Hello again)

because its stolen from classical works :P

now seriously, i know what you mean.

And I like the Horner version better :lol: Well, to be honest, the opening of TLBT and the opening of The Wooden Prince are going after different things. I like both. The original was darker and scarier, the stuff beneath the horn melody sounds less defined and more atmospheric. The Horner version remakes the orchestration making it warmer, reworks the melody making it the foreword for the big melody later and somehow it sounds so melancholic...

Regardless of his inspirations, TLBT is one of his greatest works. Its success in marrying the picture it was written for is basically inarguable. His lift of that Wagner piece is obvious, but like others have said I do appreciate the lighter more hollow sound he gave it.

As for Horner's most beautiful phrase, I definitely think the piece from Braveheart was a good choice. Obviously Horner did too since he stole it to be the bridge to The Wedding cue from Bicentennial Man and also the interlude to the main theme from The Missing.

The final four minutes of The Titanic Suite, while not composed for the film, are my favorite part of any Horner work. That final rise to the Titanic in the voices is epic. I hate when my speakers peak and ruin it.

If you don't want to count that, I'll never get enough of that final rise in The Death Of Titanic where that oft-used eighth-note accompaniment is passed from the horns to the trumpets while the strings sing the love theme. From the moments the strings slice in to begin it, I get chills.

And the bit in War, from 5:56ish I think on, could compete as well. That's some epic stuff.

I must say, as beautiful as Braveheart is, sometimes I think its a bit overrated, and definitely not Horner's best work in my view. My favourite Horner score is Land Before Time (and I love a great deal of some of his other works over Braveheart, although its a great score too).

Oh don't get so worked up Stefan, have I not agreed that it is a great score? I just think its a bit much to call it Horner's best (considering his great career), I'd just put a lot of his scores ahead of this one, Horner's done so much fantastic work, its hard to really put Braveheart over it all.

I must say, as beautiful as Braveheart is, sometimes I think its a bit overrated, and definitely not Horner's best work in my view. My favourite Horner score is Land Before Time (and I love a great deal of some of his other works over Braveheart, although its a great score too).

a great deal of some of his other works? continue, please.

Oh don't get so worked up Stefan, have I not agreed that it is a great score? I just think its a bit much to call it Horner's best (considering his great career), I'd just put a lot of his scores ahead of this one, Horner's done so much fantastic work, its hard to really put Braveheart over it all.

Braveheart is top shelve Horner!

Roald..where are you? I need you buddy!

I can think of dozens of Horner moments better and more sweeping than this

I never liked Braveheart or that theme

You must be dead inside.

The tearjerking stuff i. e. in WHISPERING WINDS is through-and-through Horner. I'm rather partial to MIGHTY JOE YOUNG's theme and of course, the main themes from GLORY and LEGENDS OF THE FALL rule (more so than BRAVHEART).

And no, Horner's enterprise theme isn't only no match for JG, i never liked it much to begin with.

Whispering Winds is sublime.

Alright, for Stefan and others who think I'm crazy, here is a fine list of scores that are much better than Braveheart in my opinion :)

- Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan

- Krull

- Willow

- The Land Before Time

- Glory

- Legends of the Fall

- Apollo 13

- The Spitfire Grill

- The Mask of Zorro

- The Legend of Zorro

- A Beautiful Mind

- The Missing

Those are scores I definitely consider to be stronger than Braveheart, there are a couple of others I'd put above Braveheart too, but these are for certain. Braveheart is a great score mind you, but its just not amongst Horner's best.

The only ones I agree are STRONGER than Braveheart from KK's list are The Land Before Time, Legends Of The Fall, Apollo 13 and The Legend Of Zorro.

And Legends Of The Fall by a hair. As great as that score is, its plodding thematic statements make it less interesting and versatile than Braveheart as a listening experience.

There's this 90's period of Horner I don't like AT ALL. It includes Apollo 13, Braveheart,Titanic and Perfect Storm

Thank god he returned to better form recently with Avatar,The 4 Horsemen,Spiderwick Chronicles and Black Gold

The only ones I agree are STRONGER than Braveheart from KK's list are The Land Before Time, Legends Of The Fall, Apollo 13 and The Legend Of Zorro.

And Legends Of The Fall by a hair. As great as that score is, its plodding thematic statements make it less interesting and versatile than Braveheart as a listening experience.

Legends of the Fall is a far greater emotional experience than Braveheart. Its broad thematic statements and the action material is great too. Braveheart is a score I can't help but feel is terribly overrated. But as I've said countless times before, I still like it.

I'm surprised that no one would take Horner's greater works like Star Trek II, Glory, Willow or even the recent The Missing as stronger displays of his talent. Braveheart is more of Horner's typical sappy romance writing in a more appealing fashion, where some of the other scores on that list show a greater sense of maturity in his writing.

Or maybe I just can't seem to love Braveheart as much as others.

There's this 90's period of Horner I don't like AT ALL. It includes Apollo 13, Braveheart,Titanic and Perfect Storm

I loved Apollo 13, but I agree I didn't like that period of his career as much. But none of the scores you listed are bad. Titanic was the only score I never found myself taking a liking to (besides the nice main theme). Braveheart is a great score, and Perfect Storm was quite fun too.

Thank god he returned to better form recently with Avatar,The 4 Horsemen,Spiderwick Chronicles and Black Gold

Agreed. I'm really happy with his return. But there have been strong Horner scores in the 2000s. The Missing is an absolutely fantastic score. The Legend of Zorro is one of his best. The New World was beautiful and Four Feathers was a strong score. But other than that, not many greats.

His orchestrations have gotten denser again like they were in the 80's. But other than Avatar and The Karate Kid, nothing of his has excited me since 2005. I find Spiderwick Chronicles especially dull and phoned in for a Horner score. The piano progressions beg to be compared to 90's Horner efforts like Spitfire and Impact. The string textures are very nice and the Griffin cue has a top-notch Horner crescendo in it but the Casper's Lullaby lift is too much regurgitation for me and I feel I can handle a lot. I mean I like Troy. I also did not find Black Gold anywhere near as compelling as the reviews I've read of it. The melody is so textbook simple, it makes Jerry's Carol Anne melody seem obtuse.

THE PERFECT STORM is bad but AVATAR isn't? That's quite a...curious perception.

My personal favorite part of any score by Horner is that piece around the 3 minute mark in Star Trek III the Search for Spock's Stealing the Enterprise which I refer to the as the Hymn to Captain Kirk where the Sulu, Chekov, and Scott show their loyalty to Kirk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT8zALjcniM

6:14

All my childhood. Right there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT8zALjcniM

6:14

All my childhood. Right there.

The first phrase of the melody starting at 6:14 is a direct lift from Melanie's Theme from Max Steiner's Gone With The Wind.

Have a listen ->

At 11:19.

I find this melodic phrase to be one of the loveliest Horner has ever written. I think deep and long melodies sound the most "sweeping".

The one here at 2:24 to 2:42 just before the main theme clicks in at 2:42 ->

I would have to go with this one. But it seems to me that it's the strings having a similar effect in both pieces.

I agree with people mentioning The Land Before Time. It can still cause goosebumps on me. In fact it may well be one of my earliest film score memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuoE4l0dAGg

It's 4:09 onwards that does it for me. Particularly where the orchestra swells at around 4:36. As Michael said, it's my childhood.

I would put Star Trek III as my favorite Horner score.

Way to go, Faleel!!! It's a superior score, from a superior sequel.

Favourite phrase? Off the top of my head, I'd say, the rising motif that occures about halway through "Michael's Gift To Karen", from "Brainstorm" - my favourite JH score.

Wrath of Khan is still my favorite of Horner, but I'm really surprised at how little people are talking about Willow... As far as his best score from the 90s, Ransom is a tough one to contend with... However, I think over his career he got lazy...

• 2 weeks later...