HOOK: Complete Cue List and Chronological Editing Guide

Jay

On 30/08/2021 at 3:22 AM, crumbs said:

Can't forget The Lost World. Not only replacing JW's intended finale with tracked music, but changing the structure of his intended end credits as a result (with shoddy edits galore and the especially hacked-up TLW theme relegated to the end).

Most would probably argue it's a rare instance of music tracking done right, but it's still a radical tonal departure from JW's intended score.

Shoddy edits doesn't mean that the creative intention is bad. I'm generally a supporter of tracking, as directors do it for positive creative reasons. The fact that some is achieved using not very good edits is unfortunate.

Of course Titanic teaches us that listening to film edits isn't always a good idea, but if I may put my suggestion this way: of the handful of moments from TLW I always remembered most strongly, at least two of them turned out to be tracked, with absolutely nothing in the film itself indicating that they weren't the original composition.

8 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Shoddy edits doesn't mean that the creative intention is bad. I'm generally a supporter of tracking, as directors do it for positive creative reasons. The fact that some is achieved using not very good edits is unfortunate.

Of course Titanic teaches us that listening to film edits isn't always a good idea, but if I may put my suggestion this way: of the handful of moments from TLW I always remembered most strongly, at least two of them turned out to be tracked, with absolutely nothing in the film itself indicating that they weren't the original composition.

I do enjoy the Lost World Alternate tracked in for Ludlow's End but that's just me. I do think tracking The Trek into the end credits was a strange move. I enjoy it but it goes from Jurassic Park Theme>The Lost World>The Trek>The Lost World Alternate

18 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Shoddy edits doesn't mean that the creative intention is bad. I'm generally a supporter of tracking, as directors do it for positive creative reasons.

I agree. A lot of the times, tracked music works really well within the films themselves.

And I fully support that directors should have the freedom to use the music the way they see fit. The fact that music itself is an art form that can work without a film doesn't change the fact that film music is supposed to serve the film the way the director wants, and not the other way around.

I suspect that in the TLW's case, had circumstances been different, SS might have simply asked JW to rescore the scenes he ended up tracking, in which case we'd all be talking about the differences/merits of the alternative approaches, instead of seeing it as 'hacking up' JW's original intentions.

14 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

The Trek was NOT tracked into the End Credits; To the Island was.

Oh yeah, you’re right. I got the 2 mixed up. Ironically, To the Island was also tracked into The Trek.

• 5 weeks later...

@Jay I'm sure you know this, but after a quick search couldn't find a discussion on it and it's not covered in your Google Doc here, so thought it might be worth mentioning, for God Rest You Merry Gentlemen the track runs from about 8:05 to 9:10 in the film, unfortunately it's only in two channels on the same side but the rear one is completely clean of sfx, also it begins a couple of seconds into the track but is looped at the end so a complete version can be edited together.

11 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

@Jay I'm sure you know this, but after a quick search couldn't find a discussion on it and it's not covered in your Google Doc here, so thought it might be worth mentioning, for God Rest You Merry Gentlemen the track runs from about 8:05 to 9:10 in the film, unfortunately it's only in two channels on the same side but the rear one is completely clean of sfx, also it begins a couple of seconds into the track but is looped at the end so a complete version can be edited together.

We've discussed this in a private PM thread.

12 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

I don't understand: What do you want the google doc to say about this cue?  It currently says "Only available via DVD / Blu Ray rip"

6 hours ago, Jay said:

I don't understand: What do you want the google doc to say about this cue?  It currently says "Only available via DVD / Blu Ray rip"

Oh sorry, I was trying to say in the Google Doc the part where it would have the timestamp in the film it says ???, Where some of the others that are "Only available via DVD / Blu Ray rip" have their timestamp, so wasn't sure if you knew when it plays so it was just to tell you about that, I kinda got carried away talking about the rest, sorry for the confusion. 

Ohhh my bad!  Yea I guess I only list the timestamps for some of the unreleased music and not all in there.  Well there's a way more definitive list of stuff here

On 16/11/2021 at 9:31 PM, Jay said:

Ohhh my bad!  Yea I guess I only list the timestamps for some of the unreleased music and not all in there.  Well there's a way more definitive list of stuff here

No worries. That's definitely more detailed about the film only stuff, thanks a lot :D.