BloodBoal

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not into traditional horror scores, so it doesn't seem like my cuppa tea from the samples. But as an Elfman completist, I need to buy it whether I like it or not. So I'll postpone final evaluation untill I've heard the whole thing.

Sounds quite different from normal Burton/Elfman score. No lalala children's choirs, wacky melodies, strange orchestrations. Rather dark and eerie and atmospheric.

Sounds quite different from normal Burton/Elfman score. No lalala children's choirs, wacky melodies, strange orchestrations. Rather dark and eerie and atmospheric.

I don't know about that. Listening to the sample of track 5 is kind of weird ish... actually reminds of of the electronic presence in CHARLIE and the CHOCOLATE FACTORY

I don't know about that. Listening to the sample of track 5 is kind of weird ish... actually reminds of of the electronic presence in CHARLIE and the CHOCOLATE FACTORY

To me it doesn't exactly shout Burton/Elfman collaboration as most of their work together does. At least not very much. It has Elfman's trademarks and modern stylings all over it though.

I cannot get these samples to play for me. I have been trying for days. I've updated everything that could be restricting me from hearing it and no luck. Anyone else having this issue?

• 3 weeks later...

I couldn't find any full thread for this so I decided to make this. Movies looks awful but the music might be good. Some of the samples sound like the Adventures of Tintin theme (specifically "The End?". Michael Giacchino also drew inspiration from Tintin in the John Carter score.

Michael Giacchino also drew inspiration from Tintin in the John Carter score.

Don't know how that happened since Giacchino recorded Carter in September and October of last year.

As a Burton fan, I think the film looks fantastic! Then again, I have zero connection to the original show (I only know it by name, I've never seen an episode).

But from the sound clips, I'm more skeptical about the score. Too much traditional horror stuff. Maybe it'll give a slightly different impression when I get the CD (because I need to get it whether I like it or not, being an Elfman completist).

Michael Giacchino also drew inspiration from Tintin in the John Carter score.

Don't know how that happened since Giacchino recorded Carter in September and October of last year.

The main Tintin recording sessions were in 2010

Of course there is. Hell I had the sheet music in 2010

Not that I think Gia ripped it off from Tintin at all, I think its just a big coincidence

• 3 weeks later...

How was the score?

Karol

It was excellent in the movie (a mix of his Kilar style in WOLF MAN, some 70's grooves and some weird, wailing-like flute/theremin sounds). Unfortunately, the sound effects were so loud that it was often swallowed up. But there were some pretty nifty ostinati in there, for example.

I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy it alone (a bit too big and horrorey at times), but it fit the movie like a T.

The film, incidentally, is his best since CHARLIE & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY. Classic Burton all the way, harkening back to the days of BEETLEJUICE. Depp is wonderful.

Well the longer clip sounded much better than the rather poorly chosen clips on the label's site. I will definitely want to listen to the whole album now. :)

How was the score?

Karol

It was excellent in the movie (a mix of his Kilar style in WOLF MAN, some 70's grooves and some weird, wailing-like flute/theremin sounds).

Sounds good. :) I'll buy the album anyway.

Karol

The film, incidentally, is his best since CHARLIE & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY. Classic Burton all the way, harkening back to the days of BEETLEJUICE. Depp is wonderful.

I didn't like Charlie but this one looks enjoyable. :)