• Savages, July 6
    • Ted, July 13
    • Dark Knight Rises, July 20
    • Bourne Legacy, August 3
    • Total Recall, August 3
    • Madegascar 3, 6-8-12
    • Ice Age 4, 7-13-12

This poll is closed to new votes

As promised. I've listed quite a few films, but realistically there are only 3 films on this list likely to win, however there are several on here that might be the IT film for a week or two.

Overall it's an average at best looking summer. There are some interesting looking films but the quality is questionable.

Will any of the films equal the Hunger Games?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Box office? I don't know. And I won't contribute to most of these. I'd only see in theaters The Avengers (next month), Prometheus, Brave and The Dark Knight Rises (all three in September).

The Dark Knight Rises will easily make the most money

BTW you forgot to include Madagascar 3, June 8th and Ice Age 4, July 13th on the poll. Those will both make a ton of money, more than most of the others on your list

I agree - Dark Knight Rises is most likely to blitz everything else...but I wouldn't discount the likes of Prometheus, The Dictator, and maybe even Spider-Man to break a record or two on the way...

The Dark Knight Rises will easily make the most money

BTW you forgot to include Madagascar 3, June 8th and Ice Age 4, July 13th on the poll. Those will both make a ton of money, more than most of the others on your list

No I did not. I purposely chose not to include them,

both previous films did not quite acheive blockbuster status but were close. Will #3 and #4 equal the 180m and 190m of their predessors I don't know. They will draw the kids and Madagascar 3 does look funny.

I vote for the Avengers.

no you didn't.

you forgot to include Madagascar 3, June 8th and Ice Age 4, July 13th on the poll. Those will both make a ton of money, more than most of the others on your list

No I did not. I purposely chose not to include them,

Why in the world would you do that? They are going to make WAY more money than some of the titles you did put in (Savages, Ted, Rock of Ages....)

because it's my thread and as Eric Cartman says, I do what I want.

Don't be so sure Rock of Ages, it could be the Bridesmaids/Hangover of this summer.

Savages is the first Olie Stone film in awhile based on a blockbuster novel, it might be the anti summer blockbuster blockbuster.

and I put Ted to lure Koray back because its Seth McFarland.

i didn't put Madagascar because it's a #3 and I chose to put only Prometheus from that date. Yes I put Men in Black III because it's been 10 years and the hype is somewhat large. Ice Age 4 isn't even on my radar.

but its still from 2012.

the topic is

2012 Summer Boxoffice Thread.

not

2012 Selected Summer Blockbusters which I Want You To Choose how much they make at the Box Office

Falafal, you know that the poll system cannot handle but a certain number of choices and I'm not listing the over 200 films that will be released this coming summer.

I did add the two jason bitched and moaned about

Falafal, you know that the poll system cannot handle but a certain number of choices and I'm not listing the over 200 films that will be released this coming summer.

oh...

is it possible to get past that by having multiple questions marked: Part 1, Part 2 etc.?

oh...

is it possible to get past that by having multiple questions marked: Part 1, Part 2 etc.?

again I'm not doing a 200 film poll.

I think this summer will actually be a pretty decent summer for the box office. And The Dark Knight Rises will obviously make the most. I don't know if it will match up to its predecessor in quality, but it will certainly be one of the big money makers of this year. Rivalling that film for Summer Boxoffice king is probably Prometheus. But in terms of the amount of money earned throughout the year, the final competition will be between The Dark Knight Rises and the Hobbit.

I agree. Or at least I came to. TDK was astounding in the cinema, but faltered upon laboured home viewings. It's good, but I can't be arsed with plotty plot-fest Mcplotty anymore.

I don't care about BO, but sincerely hope that James Horner was let loose on SPIDERMAN for a reason. Maybe there's some big, eloquent thematic score waiting in the wings, a harbinger of better music in future tentpole movies?

Here's my personal predictions for the Top 25 at the summer box-office (US millions)

1. The Dark Knight ($425)
  2. The Avengers ($350)
  3. Ice Age 4 ($330)
  4. Madagascar 3 ($300)
  5. Men in Black 3 ($255)
  6. The Amazing Spider-Man ($230)
  7. Brave ($205)
  8. Neighborhood Watch ($190)
  9. Snow White & the Huntsmen ($180)
  10. GI Joe Retaliation ($175)
  11. The Bourne Legacy ($160)
  12. The Campaign ($150)
  13. Dark Shadows ($140)
  14. Prometheus ($130)
  15. The Dictator ($125)
  16. Rock of Ages ($120)
  17. Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter ($110)
  18. That's My Boy ($105)
  19. Ted ($100)
  20. The Expendables 2 ($95)
  21. Total Recall ($90)
  22. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World ($80)
  23. Battleship ($70)
  24. Step Up Revolution ($60)
  25. Madea's Witness Protection ($50)

There's about another 10 movies being released but they will all make less than $50 million.

I think you're pretty spot on there, good job!

I think the big question mark is Brave. I could see it making more than the average Pixar film, but I could also see it making less.

Battleship and Total Recall will be the big bombs of the summer.

Prometheus will fare well with the geek crowd but not make waves with general audiences

Comic Book adaptations and kiddie movie sequels continue to reign supreme

I can't imagine any film besting Dark Knight Rises. Even with the somewhat quiet marketing campaign, I think the success of The Dark Knight carries it to the top.

It's only April. May and June will be FULL of advertising for TDKR. They might just be waiting until after The Avengers opens to really kick it into high gear

I'm with KM on this one, there is nothing interesting in The Avengers trailers that appeals to me (besides Robert Downey Jr's usual charm). All looks like overly used, tired concepts, with tiring humour and some villains a la Michael Bay/Transformers

In the trailers I'm atracted to:

-Banner/Hulk, and some very good animation there!

-Iron Man.

-Thor and Loki

-The cast in general, including Samuel L. Jackson!

-Alien invasion!

-Joss Whedon in general. Firefly shows the kind of writing that would be great here. Funny, choral, intense. Also I've heard he wrote some pretty good X-Men comic books, but I haven't read them. In any case, all I've read from him about this film sounds wonderfully honest and I agreed with almost everything.

-Alan Silvestri.

There's no way I'm missing this film.

The 5 movies I am personally the most interested in:

1. The Dark Knight Rises

2. Prometheus

3. Brave

--big gap

4. The Avengers

5. Spider-man reboot

(The final 2 are for curiosity reasons only, I don't actually expect them to be good)

Everything else I have no interest in seeing at all, or will happily wait till its on home media and i can watch it with my friends at home while drinking beers (MIB3, Bourne4, Dark Shadows, Ted, Total Recall)

The 5 movies I predict will make the most money:

1. The Dark Knight Rises

2. The Avengers

3/4 Ice Age 4 / Madagascar 3

5 Spider-man reboot

RDJ is the one thing I'm not looking forward to (can't stand Iron Man). But as a fan of Thor, Captain America and Scarlett Johannsen's bottom, I am excited.

You see this is the thing here. For example I'm not much into Captain America but it's cool to have the characters there and interact and go to see the ones you like. Almost like when you read these big crossovers they draw.

I for one I'm excited about the great new design for the Hulk. The previous one was so boring.

The 5 movies I am personally the most interested in:

1. The Dark Knight Rises

2. Prometheus

3. Brave

--big gap

4. The Avengers

5. Spider-man reboot

(The final 2 are for curiosity reasons only, I don't actually expect them to be good)

Everything else I have no interest in seeing at all, or will happily wait till its on home media and i can watch it with my friends at home while drinking beers (MIB3, Bourne4, Dark Shadows, Ted, Total Recall)

The 5 movies I predict will make the most money:

1. The Dark Knight Rises

2. The Avengers

3/4 Ice Age 4 / Madagascar 3

5 Spider-man reboot

your #3 and #4 choices are laughable given their immeditate predecessors non blockbuster status.

that was La Blanc's quote, not mine Steven, or would Stephen be a better Americanization?

this from the man who calls me Joseph after a commie mass murder!!!

considering how bad the Rami Spidermen films were, the new film looks so much better.

considering how bad the Rami Spidermen films were, the new film looks so much better.

I still can't believe the first one beat attack Of The Clones at the box-office.

two shitty films head to head, one had to win.

have you seen it Maurizio?

Yep, but I still can't openly talk about it.

Thanks but you've told me all I wanted to hear. Like Roger Ebert I get your opinion even if I don't always agree.

perhaps I should have asked what film would finish #2. It was neck and neck last year with Deathly Hallows 2 and Transformers Moon film.