• Total Recall, August 3
    • Madegascar 3, 6-8-12
    • Ice Age 4, 7-13-12

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. Do you think I'm gonna get a one-month ban?

I'd say an indefinite one. Goodbye, my friend. It was nice knowing you. And yes, I'd happily take over as The Messenger.

If you ban me, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

We shall see. Your time shall come soon foolish Boal.

After listening to the OST for TDKR I want The Avengers to make more money than TDKR. That one didn't make me go "what is this pretending to be?" and was almost fun.

Despite its flaws, there is a lot more depth in TDKR than the all too formulaic nature of The Avengers. I'm tired of sitting through fare like that. Nolan's films have a lot more to offer.

I'll be seeing the film on Wednesday. But if the use of music in the film is like they say it is, there's no way I would put that one in a top 10 of 2012 films. No sir.

It could have many other qualities, but what I want to see is something approaching perfection, not half cooked films.

I'll be seeing the film on Wednesday. But if the use of music in the film is like they say it is, there's no way I would put that one in a top 10 of 2012 films. No sir.

It could have many other qualities, but what I want to see is something approaching perfection, not half cooked films.

Nolan's Batman films aren't half-cooked.And sure, the music is overwhelming, but this film is still better than most of what has come out this year (so far).

Despite its flaws, there is a lot more depth in TDKR than the all too formulaic nature of The Avengers.

For a second, I thought you were talking about the score. You scared the shit out of me, man!

ROTFLMAO

Haha, you won't be hearing that from my mouth ;)

But The Avengers score is formulaic.

• 4 months later...

With prerelease buzz being extremely positive, I'm gonna go ahead and say The Hobbit will smash worldwide gross estimates and eventually go on to unseat Avatar as the most successful movie of all time. Even the inevitable reports of nausea and "migraines" in reaction to the new 48fps 3D will do little to tarnish the film's impact at box office - if anything the detractors of the tech will stir even more interest in the film and the various options available in which to see it (a premium attached to the 48fps screenings is naturally very likely to be implemented, further increasing grosses). Aside from the many trials and discomforts of the more vestibularly delicate moviegoer, the film certainly has all the ingredients expected of a record breaker and looks very much to descend upon the civilised world like Star Wars and Jurassic Park before it.

Anyone want to bet against it?

I've suspected this all along. The Hobbit will probably break the opening weekend record of The Avengers and i wouldn't be surprised to see it top Avatar.

And when Cameron releases his future Avatar sequels, I doubt they'll top his own record, let alone the record the Hobbit films may establish.

The Avengers beat Avatar didn't it? That fucker made 1.5 billion in a week.

no, it didn't even beat Titanic. Koray your boxoffice skills are weak.

I doubt the Hobbit does nearly as well as you guys think.

In the US most schools will be in session until Dec. 21 when they break for the Christmas Holiday. Colleges and Universites will be out but not the grade schools. This does have a significant effect on the boxoffice, but the Hobbit is a film that could do as you say.

Seasonal factors could come into play there, K.K. In the short term, cinemagoers might have other priorities - denying the movie of the Avengers record.

I see, but there seems to be a great amount of hype over the film, and I have a feeling a lot cinemagoers will be rushing to see the film that weekend.

I don't even think that since it's a school week.

I have school that week. And just with my luck, I have a concert performance on the Thursday of and will have to leave straight from the concert to go to my 10 pm showing! :P

remember the Avengers did sort of bring something new to the table, the Hobbit is not anything new, the average movie fans think this is a "sequel" to Lord of the Rings,

then you try to explain it came first and they go oh it's a prequel, well no it's not, it came first. then you just give up.

trivia time....

which movie was #1 at the boxoffice for the most weeks?

remember the Avengers did sort of bring something new to the table, the Hobbit is not anything new, the average movie fans think this is a "sequel" to Lord of the Rings,

then you try to explain it came first and they go oh it's a prequel, well no it's not, it came first. then you just give up.

Could be right about that I suppose as far as the States are concerned, but here at the very least people tend to understand it's set before LotR.

This precisely why The Hobbit will make a ton of money. Everyone will see it because of LOTR. It's why the Phantom Menace was as successful as it was.

And the Avengers itself was using the success of previous Marvel films to fuel its own box office success.

trivia time....

which movie was #1 at the boxoffice for the most weeks?

E.T.?

Okay the reviews are trickling out now and they aren't as glowing as the early Twitter reactions suggested they would be. Time for a full retraction of my earlier statement! Avatar will probably be safe after all.