Ender's Game (2013 Film)

Jay

Anyone else here a fan of Ender's Game or any of its sequel books?

endersgame.jpgenders-game.jpg

I read Ender's Game a few years back and was blown away by how good it was! It was already top notch before the climax, and the climax was so PERFECT and unexpected that just amped up my appreciation ever more........ and then, the denouement was equally stunning and perfect. What a great novel!

4956467678_e6883d2c02_z.jpg

I read the sequel - Speaker For The Dead - shortly after, and while I did like it, it's quite a different novel from Ender's Game, and I haven't been compelled to read its sequels (Xenocide and Children of the Mind) yet. I might instead move on to the shadow series, starting with Ender's Shadow - which I hear is quite good. I am interested in what happened to all those character's from Ender's Game since they don't appear in the original sequels.

Since that series he's continued to write prequels and side-quells and spin-offs and all sorts of other stuff I don't know anything about.

However, what I am really excited about is that after YEARS of development hell, they are FINALLY making a movie version - it's filming right now! It stars the kid from Hugo as Ender (great choice!), Abigail Breslin (yes, the Little Miss Sunshine chick) as Valentine, Ben Kinglsey as Mazer, and Harrison Freaking Ford as Graff (!!!!!)

ender.jpg?w=549

Apparently the script is a combo of elements from both Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. Should be interesting. The latest news is that the film just got pushed back from March 2013 to November 13, opening just 3 weeks before the sequel to The Hunger Games. I think this is a brilliant move.

Any one else read the books? Anyone else pumped for the film?

I wonder who will score the film? Giacchino would be PERFECT!!!!!! The director's last film was X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which was scored by Harry Gregson-Williams.

Oooh, I like your enthusiasm here.

I haven't read Ender, but it's great that they start noticing this kind of literature. Literary sci-fi is miles ahead of film sci-fi, and offers a goldmine of ideas for unusual and interesting films. I was psyched when Ridley Scott got David Webb Peoples to write an adaptation of The Forever War, but that seems to have gone nowhere :( The talk is always Philip K. Dick and Dune, Philip K. Dick and Dune... and Dune is basically a futuristic medieval fantasy.

Anyway, I hope this is great or at least good, and that Wolverine was a bad example of what this director can offer.

I haven't seen Wolverine or any of this director's other films, but I'm not letting that cloud my judgement. As long as the script is good, I'm sure it'll be fine. Orson Scott Card helped write the script himself so hopefully its a good one.

I can't recommend the book higher, its fantastic. Everyone I know who's read it feels the same way.

I got into the Hunger Games thing

So I may read those when the movie comes

Read them now!

I've never read these books (or heard of them for that matter). They don't look quite appealing (judging from the brief plot summary ofc), but I guess I should give it a chance though.

The film has a very promising cast however, even though that poster looks terrible...

I've never read these books (or heard of them for that matter). They don't look quite appealing (judging from the brief plot summary ofc), but I guess I should give it a chance though.

The film has a very promising cast however, even though that poster looks terrible...

That's just a fan made hack-job; There is no official poster yet

That's just a fan made hack-job; There is no official poster yet

I got that, but its still a poorly done one ;)

Is it going to be another John Carter?

Frankly, the premise has me believing it might take the same route. If that were the case, it definitely wouldn't be the first waste of a great cast. But I guess I should give the books a chance first :)

I read the first book and absolutely loved it. Never got around to any of the sequels, but I always hoped they would make it into a film.

Frankly, the premise has me believing it might take the same route.

I don't see what the premise of this has to do with John Carter.

Nothing at all really. Its just me being my pessimistic self. I've kind of lost faith in these kind of films.... :P

Ender's Shadow, the last really good novel from Card, is an excellent companion piece to Ender's Game. But Speaker for the Dead, which is probably unmarketable in Hollywood, is the gem of the series, and likely the one I would read over and over if I had the time.

Xenocide and Children of the Mind aren't quite as memorable but each still worth a read.

Ender's Shadow, the last really good novel from Card, is an excellent companion piece to Ender's Game. But Speaker for the Dead, which is probably unmarketable in Hollywood, is the gem of the series, and likely the one I would read over and over if I had the time.

Xenocide and Children of the Mind aren't quite as memorable but each still worth a read.

Yea, Speaker For The Dead would never work as a (popular hollywood-funded) movie. It was a fascinating read though

I suspect if the Ender's Game film is successful they will go on to film the Shadow series and ignore the original sequels

In no particular order, I'd love to hear a score by Trevor Jones, Don Davis, or Arthur B. Rubinstein. But I know I'm "antediluvian" (as Williams would say) in that regard. A Goldsmith score would've been a knockout, of course.

Haven't read the Shadow series, but I bet you're right.

The question is, will they even film the full denouement of the original book or just end it shortly after the climax

• 7 months later...

The story (of the book anyway) is brilliant, hopefully they pull off the execution of it into film format

I recommend you do. Even the trailers might give away things that are not revealed until the end of the book.

you interested in that Alex?

Not really, just reporting.

good because it's a children's story

Because its not a children's story. Yes the main characters are children but its about how the adults manipulate them in order to save the planet from destruction.

Because its not a children's story. Yes the main characters are children but its about how the adults manipulate them in order to save the planet from destruction.

I read the first two chapters last night before I passed out. The weird writing structure borderlines Cormac McCarthy. It blends third person and first person together. Why can't writers stick to the basic principles of grammar?

it's a children's book Jason, it can be found in the childrens section at Barnes and Noble, it's also found in the teens section and the scifi section.

Nothing wrong with it being considered a children's story, that's not a judgement on the book.

Love loads of kids films, when's it out? Anything which even has a slim chance of being a vehicle for Ford is welcome.

I'd say the best kids film I've seen in recent years is The Bridge to Terabithia.

it's a children's book Jason

Apparently it's not written for children but it's suited for teens (sci-fi usually is). The book won all the major science fiction awards though Hollywood will probably make it with kids in mind.

• 1 month later...

How do you know Horner won't be inspired? Maybe it will be like a Memoirs of a Geisha situation, maybe Horner's a big fan of the book

Horner does space action really well

Clearly Koray hasn't listened to Black Gold.

I think Amazing Spiderman proves Horner still has the chops to produce a quality blockbuster action score.