Ender's Game (2013 Film)

Jay

Is there still anyone here taking a future Horner assignment seriously? Some of his recent scores are entertaining follies, but musically, Horner has fired all his cylinders a long time ago.

The Amazing Spider-man was pretty original. Nothing in it really made me think of his past scores.

Ender's Game is a fascinating book with a lot of ideas in it, if the movie covers half of them it should inspire Horner to make something special, I hope. I'm pretty excited for it.

It's amazing that the film is opening in November and we don't even have a teaser trailer yet let alone a poster or any images released other than this one

enders_game_1.jpeg

The only news I could find is this one small update on the film adaptation if you've read the book: http://www.hypable.c...ders-game-film/

It's amazing that the film is opening in November and we don't even have a teaser trailer yet let alone a poster.

You say stuff like this alot ;)

The Amazing Spider-man was pretty original. Nothing in it really made me think of his past scores.

What didn't sound like Horner did sound like dime-a-dozen RCP-leftovers, probably farmed out to his synth programmers. The words 'Horner' and 'original' simply don't belong in one sentence. Sure, the standards are low (and i find a lot of recent Horner scores entertaining, nevertheless) but he really is composed out.

The best thing we now can expect from him is a colorful adventure movie, which is a style that is best-suited to his talents. ENDER'S GAME will sound like an amalgam of AVATAR and SNEAKERS/APOLLO 13 /BEAUTIFUL MIND underscore. And nobody is sadder than me that a composer of Horner's considerable talents is mostly treading water since the eraly 2000's.

• 2 months later...

Just found this article from when Horner was announced as the composer, that now has this update:

UPDATE: Lionsgate says that there is not deal with Horner, although there may be. Until then, this is still a rumor.

http://www.endersansible.com/2013/01/31/jame-horner-to-score-enders-game-film/

In other news, a poster has been released!

250px-Endersgamemovieposter.jpg

For some reason I can't find a larger version online

Sure, the standards are low (and i find a lot of recent Horner scores entertaining, nevertheless) but he really is composed out.

I like the phrase "composed out" lol. It's really fitting. But the Spider Man theme was definetly an entertaining one.

I'm very worried about this film. Script was in the works for years, filming date kept getting pushed back, release date kept getting pushed back, there's still no trailer or even teaser, only 1 poster, no confirmation of composer........ something's up here!

Also, FWIW, Horner does not have Ender's Game listed on his official PDF at Gorfain Schwartz, though I dunno if it used to be there and was removed, or has not been added yet. Romeo and Juliet is there, though that one was recorded in London last year (The film opens in July)

http://www.gsamusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/HORNER_JAMES.pdf

Oh wow - here's the first REAL article on the film. An interview with Asa Butterfield, who plays Ender, complete with some NEW PICTURES!!

http://collider.com/asa-butterfield-enders-game-interview/

There's no spoilers at all, but if you've read the book you can infer some of the changes a little bit

I`m still not sold on this. All the images and stuff I`ve seen points towards the kind of young adult/tween fiction I`m not really into. I know this is supposedly nothing of the sort, but that`s what I keep seeing.

I suppose i should give the book a chance.

I'm very worried about this film. Script was in the works for years, filming date kept getting pushed back, release date kept getting pushed back, there's still no trailer or even teaser, only 1 poster, no confirmation of composer........ something's up here!

How was the release date kept getting pushed back? Summit/Lionsgate haven't moved the film back, it's staying in its November 1, 2013 spot. The development for the movie certainly took a few decades, but once filming started and the studio set that date -- they haven't moved the film around. If they're going to move it, it would be to get clear of the onslaught of films opening with and after that weekend.

Really looking forward to this. Ive read the book and loved it. Sounds like a quality film adaptation, cant wait to see that trailer! This is my most anticipated film next to Desolation of Smaug.

Interview with Asa Butterfield confirms that the movie is JUST based on Ender's Game - NOT Ender's Shadow as well - and that they are going for a PG13

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/22/asa-butterfield-harrison-ford-enders-game-as-new-star-wars-battle-room?abthid=5175c8fb35df348e31000026

Also: I found a new picture online

861429_583988208296257_163969153_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=583988208296257&set=a.540440862650992.133809.479372822091130&type=1&theater

Tsotsi is pretty good, but nothing outstading in my opinion. But I believe it was the director's first movie, so you gotta hand him a lot of credit for doing such a good job on his first movie. The amount of alternate endings the movie has is crazy, though....

Wow, I didn't realize the director of Tsotsi was directing this movie! Tsotsi was great!

I know that might not be the case but so far I'm not hooked to the idea of this.

(My understanding of the book was that it was brutal and the characters were very young kids, I don't know if that's correct)

The book is set on Earth's future, where an alien race has attacked us and we've barely survived. The people in charge decide to train children at Battle School (a space station floating above Earth) to be the next leaders of a planned future attack against the alien race before they can attack us again.

It's science fiction, not fantasy, so it has nothing in common with Harry Potter or Twilight. And it's plot has absolutely nothing to do with the Hunger Games whatsoever.

Ender's Game was published in 1985. It came before all these other series. Maybe the authors of those books took inspiration from Ender's Game, maybe not, I have no idea. But I doubt the movie is taking any inspiration from those films.

Yes, the book is very violent. If you filmed exactly what was on the page and showed everything it would be rated R. But it's easy to make a PG13 movie out of it.

It's science fiction, not fantasy, so it has nothing in common with Harry Potter or Twilight.

That's not what I meant with new Potter, Twilight or Hunger Games.

Well they're not making a series out of it, if that's what you're referring too. I doubt this will be a huge blockbuster like the others. The themes are very mature (not to say The Hunger Games doesn't have mature themes, but it's not as straightforward as this), and Orson Scott Card pretty much invented the tablet because of this book. There are no love triangles or even any love interests. The Battle School breaks down these children to become pure killing machines. Chaac is right that in the book they are very young, 6 years old. Since you can't really find actors that young to do the stunts required for this film (as stated in the interview Jay posted), they jumped it up to 13 and shortened to years long timeline to a couple.

I think Ben Kingsley's role is very well cast.

Yea, there are a bunch of other books set in the same universe, but none of them are remotely like Ender's Game at all. None of them would translate to blockbuster movies, they are all slow, adult stories (not to mean they are full of sex and violence, just that kid won't have any interest in them at all).

Ender's Game is the only one with any elements of a summer blockbuster. It's the most accessible story out of the lot by far, and the only one that would appeal to children at all. I doubt they will make movies out of any of the other books, but if they did it would likely be the Shadow series.