Which Star Wars film has the best departure from the Main Title?

wanner251

Which Star Wars film has the best departure from the Main Title?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which Star Wars film has the best departure from the Main Title?

• Star Wars
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Return of the Jedi
    • Episode I: The Phantom Menace
    • Episode II: Attack of the Clones
    • Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Ok, so we talked about which film has the best recording of the Main Title, now which film has the best departure from the Main Title, that is, the part after the rolling text that sets up the story? All of them are different in this case, so this should get fun.

I loved the discussion from the last Poll btw!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to the entire "Star Wars/...." track, I would easily vote Revenge of the Sith. But if we're just talking about the seconds of music that transition from the march to the underscore, then probably Star Wars. Though it's unoriginality doesn't help it.

I suppose I should clarify that it would mean the entire rest of the track... not just the few seconds of transition. The whole departure. I realize that this will be completely subjective in that each departure is essentially describing different actions in each of the episodes, but perhaps that will sway a person one way or another as well. I'm really wondering if the results to this poll will be significantly different from the previous poll.

Attack of the Clones is a good'un too.....decisions, decisions!!!! I gotta go wit the original for this one though, I think ;)

Greg - wondering when the "Best Segue into the Star Wars End Credits Music" poll is going to happen (I vote ESB).

star wars this time.

the others just try to blend the same musical passage into the new music and sometimes it doesn't fit much. blockade runner just fits so well after that passage.

I would have said the original, but it clearly rips off Holst's The Planets - Mars theme. The others are mostly too samey, so I went for Revenge of the Sith.

People who vote for Revenge of the Sith are being ironic, post-modern hipsters right?

Anyway, on that note, I must vote for Empire Strike Back. It isn't much by itself, granted. But I believe it was designed to stand in contrast with the original (what the audiences from 1980 were used to anyway) and its dissonant, post-Romantic sound is so effective in establishing that is not going to be your 1977's Star Wars. It's both cool by itself and it has deeper meaning within the context of the saga, which ROTJ didn't use. And therein lies its genius.

I kind of like that film version of "probe droid" in TESB. Especially the music when the pods are launched from the Stardestroyer

Something that sets the tone to the epic score that is TESB

If we're talking the entire rest of the musical sequence that follows...uh, ANH. If we were just talking about the transition itself, about those few moments that lead from the familiar main title march into the score proper...well, I'd be torn between ANH, ESB, ROTJ, and TPM. They're all really fantastic. AOTC just steals the transition from TPM, and then I've never been a fan of the intended (i.e., album) transition in ROTS, which sounds too strange and artificial to me. In a weird way, the film version is actually more interesting, though I don't know that I prefer it.

If we're talking the entire rest of the musical sequence that follows...uh, ANH. If we were just talking about the transition itself, about those few moments that lead from the familiar main title march into the score proper...

yep i thought we were just taking about the transition not the whole musical sequence...

It's really tough because as Datameister said, they are all terrific (besides AOTC, ROTS). I voted TESB because somehow it feels really....mysterious in such a way that says "whoa, it's the sequel to Star Wars, what's going to happen OMG" or something like that. I love the flutes and that opening motif.

[Edit]

And if you think about it, it's pretty cool that Williams took this "mysterious" approach for TESB...he could have reprised the big, dissonant chords from ANH when the Star Destroyer comes into view, or he could have gave us a big first intro to the Imperial March that would announce BAD GUYS right in our face. But no, instead we get a little bit of the imperial march in the piccolo and saves the big Imperial March for later. cool decision making on Williams' part.

[edit]

Now, of course the first one is top notch so I'd put it in second place. I actually think TPM is a really cool and unique opening/ transition and I'm surprised no one has voted for it. It also has an air of mystery about it which I like. ROTJ doesn't do much for me.

In three hundred years, The Phantom Menace will be remembered as the original Star Wars. Sad but true.

In three hundred years, the entertainment industry will be producing holodeks and nobody will give a damn about Star Wars... Sad but true.

Revenge of the Sith is easily the worst. Not a big fan of that section of both versions in between the main title and that cool rendition of the force theme.

ESB's film version is really neat.

In three hundred years, The Phantom Menace will be remembered as the original Star Wars. Sad but true.

In three hundred years, the entertainment industry will be producing holodeks and nobody will give a damn about Star Wars... Sad but true.

300 years? Star Wars will have had like 8 remakes/reboots by then.

Although the original Star Wars (Ep. IV) is the most "iconic", and sincerely is outstanding in every respects, I must tip my hat to Revenge of the Sith. I was NOT expecting that blunt and striking transition to the battle sequence on the album version. It is meant to evoke a startling contrast to the usual goings-on in the SW universe and the decision JW made to forego the traditional bars immediately following the SW main title theme made the impact clear to listeners. I was kind of disappointed that the film version reverted back to the established style. I really liked the big blast on the OST- it really caught me off-guard and thematically made perfect sense, especially considering the wording of the roll-up after the title card, "Episode III- Revenge of the Sith.... WAR! The Republic is crumbling.....evil is everywhere." That 'in your face' transition after the main theme fit perfectly. No moment to awe, no moment to build mysterious overtone, just BOOM- war. I love it.