AirTalk Event: The History and Future of Hollywood Film Music

alicebrallice

damn you americans and your endlessly awesome events! is anyone here going to this?:

http://www.scpr.org/...lywood-film-mu/

Long before movies could talk, they still had the power to tell a story – with music. As film making evolved, so too did the process of scoring for the cinema. But these days, movie budgets are shrinking and composers are feeling the pinch. What does this mean for the future of film music? How has technology changed the business? How are today’s working composers able to overcome the many challenges?

Join AirTalk's Larry Mantle for a live broadcast on Wednesday, April 25 at 7pm as he hosts an in-depth discussion about the state of contemporary film music and how the business is changing.

Guests:

36512-wide.jpg

Michael Giacchino is an award-winning composer of films, television shows and video games; his feature film composing credits include The Incredibles, Super 8 and Pixar's Up, which earned him an Oscar, as well as ABC's series, LOST. Giacchino sits on the Advisory Board of Education Through Music Los Angeles.

Randy Newman is an award-winning singer, songwriter, pianist and composer; his film scores include Ragtime,Leatherheads, and Meet the Parents; for Pixar, he scored Toy Story, A Bug’s Life, Toy Story 2, Monsters, Inc., Carsand Toy Story 3. Newman has garnered multiple Grammy and Emmy Awards and two Oscars.

David Newman is an award-winning composer and conductor who has scored nearly 100 films including War of the Roses, Matilda, and Heathers. Newman headed the Sundance Institute’s music preservation program in the late 1980s and recently began touring, conducting the film West Side Story, live with orchestra.

Trevor Rabin is an award-winning musician and composer who has scored 34 feature films including The Sorcerer’s Apprentice, Armageddon and Con Air among others. Rabin is also well known as a guitarist, vocalist, and songwriter for the British rock band Yes from1982–1994.

6:30pm - Doors Open

7:00pm - Program

Admission is FREE, but RSVP's are required.

118m97o.png

33z6w7t.png

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely awesome, even if I don't care particularly for Giacchino and Randy.

There's also an Elfman symposium happening soon....and tons of other things.

Damn you, Americans! Damn you all to hell!

Sounds interesting! I certainly try to catch this broadcast. :)

I think that is an interesting quartet of composers preseting a wide variety from the field. A proven veteran composer Randy, younger generation composer Giacchino, RCP composer Rabin and a stalwart although oft unsung film music craftsman David Newman. They will surely bring interesting and observant points of view to the conversation and have varying perspectives on the film music business and its development before and now.

• 2 weeks later...
Are we losing touch with the art? How has technology changed the business? Is there more or less originality in movie music now than 20 or 30 years ago? Is the golden age of film scoring over? How are today’s working composers able to overcome the many challenges?

Michael Giacchino, Randy Newman, David Newman and Trevor Rabin discuss "the history and future of Hollywood film music" (45-minute video)

Thanks for posting this! I completely forgot about this event.

A terrific programme. :) Articulate people all, Randy Newman his usual grumpy but affable self, so down to earth and endearing, Giacchino delightfully enthusiastic and David Newman a consumate professional, Trevor Rabin commenting here and there. I could have listened to this for a longer time since they barely scratched the surface of these issues and the situation of the modern film music.

It was funny to notice how Randy was quite snappy at Giacchino at the beginning but warmed to him by the end of the discussion. I guess he was a bit amused by Giacchino's strong and succesful collaboration process which the younger composer so enthusiastically told about, perhaps even a bit jealous since Giacchino has had incredible luck and collaborators in his life thusfar.

I think Randy was the only one who openly voiced criticism for the modern film scoring trends, David sort of accompanying him here and there. Diplomacy has to be the key in this as in every business.

it was great fun indeed! I think they all had something interesting and valuable to add to the conversation. I especially enjoyed hearing some of david's thoughts and comments on the subject since I don't know much about him.

too bad it was only 45 minutes, they wrapped up when it started getting seriously interesting.

I was at the event and while they had some great discussions (didn't know David was so into preserving sheet music), I agree with alicebrallice that they ended when things were getting interesting. I really wanted to hear Randy and David expand on why they think the industry's gotten worse.

I liked the not so subtle dig at Zimmer from Randy. The comment was about nowadays some people will just play wall to wall music with a "D" drone for every film. I thought Rabin's comment about women composer was in poor taste.

I liked the not so subtle dig at Zimmer from Randy. The comment was about nowadays some people will just play wall to wall music with a "D" drone for every film. I thought Rabin's comment about women composer was in poor taste.

I doubt that was directed at Zimmer. But it does fit with a couple of other composers. Besides, it's just a rhetorical gag, putting things 'on the edge', so to speak. In reality, there aren't many scores like that, and those that are are constructed that way for a reason. But still....always entertaining to hear Randy speak.