Intrada announces Thomas Newman's Whispers In The Dark

Jay

INTRADA

Announces:

580698_10150678856487169_569387168_9216751_622231891_n.jpg

WHISPERS IN THE DARK

Music Composed and Conducted by THOMAS NEWMAN

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 199

Although a soundtrack album had been announced in 1992 when the Paramount Pictures film Whispers in the Dark was released in theaters, the album never materialized. Now, some 20 years later, Intrada delivers Thomas Newman's score on CD -- a score that is as provocative, alluring and transfixing as the film itself. The plot delicately balances the dichotomy of salacious sexual submissiveness with tenderhearted palpitations of romance and is constantly blurring the lines between the two. Newman’s handiwork elevates these dual characteristics which permeate the overall tone of the film. The music is ripe with buttery-smooth phrases of unadulterated romance stippled with gut-wrenching anguish, hedonistic desire and uncontrollable obsession.

Thomas Newman created a startling musical soundscape for Whispers In The Dark, employing signature trademarks of unique, extremely transparent instrumental colors—both acoustic and synthesized. The score as conceived and recorded, however, became something considerably different during final production. Research revealed that the music was rarely used in the finished film as originally recorded or even where intended -- including the main title itself, which was tracked with music from later in the score. Intrada presents the complete score as originally conceived by Newman.

Whispers In The Dark sports a bevy of accomplished actors including Annabella Sciorra, Deborah Unger, Jamey Sheridan, and Alan Alda. Ann Hecker (Sciorra) is a psychiatrist whose mentally unstable patient, Eve Abergray (Unger), secretly reveals a series of submissive sexual encounters experienced with her unnamed boyfriend. Soon thereafter, Ann meets a debonair business pilot named Doug (Sheridan) who courts her with irresistibly charming wit and gentlemanly manners. Ann’s brief encounter with bliss comes crashing down when she discovers that Doug is the man with whom Eve has been having violent sexual encounters. Murder, twists and turns follow immediately after...

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 199

Retail Price: $19.99

Available Now

For track listing and sound samples, please visit

http://store.intrada...it.A/id.7516/.f

WHISPERS IN THE DARK

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 199

Date: 1992

Tracks: 23

Time = 50:02

World premiere release of Thomas Newman score for Christopher crowe thriller from Paramount Pictures, starring Annabella Sciorra, Alan Alda, Jill Clayburgh. Newman creates absolutely fascinating meld of haunting color with tortured complexity for tale of murder, deception. Gently rhythmic, melodically attractive themes anchor while arguably Newman's most intense, complex writing of his career play in dramatic contrast. Newman originally edited half hour of highlights for planned but never-released album. Intrada presents complete score from original digital session masters. Interestingly, finished film makes numerous changes to score as originally conceived. Happily, Intrada had access to all Paramount paperwork courtesy research of Lukas Kendall, including actual composer/director "spotting notes" identifying placement of cues, possible style ideas, other post-production musical suggestions. Finished film frequently places cues in sequences not originally planned, truncates others, even superimposes some on top of each other. While retaining overall chronology of score as originally conceived, we have retained several of Newman's creative assemblies for aborted 1992 album, bringing nice degree of musical shape to incredibly varied score. For example, Newman planned "Main Title" to be sensitive, detailed idea that grows in rhythmic density as cue progresses but film instead uses haunting "Making Love" music intended for later scene. We include both, opening with Newman's preference, then following with love music. Highlights are many but nearly ten-minute "Revelation" cue certainly stands out. Following 45-minute musically satisfying presentation, we offer four minutes of additional very brief cues for completists! Thomas Newman conducts. Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remain!

The Score

01. Main Title 3:38

02. Making Love 2:38

03. Dangerous Sex 1:29

04. I Thought I Was The Gentlest Man 2:42

05. Eve In Lobby 3:06

06. Your Cheeks Are Pink 1:56

07. Eve Is Dead 1:47

08. John's Interrogation 1:50

09. The Torture 5:00

10. The Ledge 2:14

11. My Best Friend 3:24

12. Trip To Iowa 2:16

13. Airport Chase 1:58

14. The Revelation 9:42

15. Epilogue 1:11

Total Album Time: 45:26

The Extras

16. Goodbye Paul 0:36

17. Flying To Nantucket 0:21

18. Eve Masturbates 0:41

19. Revealing Doug 0:45

20. I Know You Had A Relationship 0:30

21. John's Flyer 0:26

22. She Hung Herself 0:21

23. Cognac At Night 0:40

Total Extras Time: 4:28

Thomas Newman

Price: $19.99

Only in the film score world would there be a CD with track titled "Eve Masturbates" :P

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit I had no idea of this Newman score. Nor did I know such movie existed. I think I'll pass at this time though. Gotta safe for possible Williams releases coming out this year.

33vlumf.jpg

look what I got today! :lol: impressive delivery time...

gonna listen to it tonight.

Is that a Yankees cap on the bookshelf??

My heart is breaking....

well… it's a very interesting score for sure.

there are two sides of this score: a quite warm, romantic and very newman-ish texture that includes recognizable percussion patterns, minimalistic, beautiful and mysterious piano arrangements, delightful strings, touches of abstract synthetic sounds and oboe melodies. and then we have a dark side with interesting and at times intense percussion structures, a sort of wailing/cry from different instruments and out of tune wind sounds that are creepy as fudge. when these two sides blend together they create most interesting cues!

I think most newman fans will appreciate this score. it's got some topnotch cues I can't believe I haven't heard before, and it's a relatively early exposure of the skills and style that defines newsman's music, which makes it a valuable addition to my newman collection :)

Is that a Yankees cap on the bookshelf??

My heart is breaking....

Too bad the colors are reversed, or she could argue it's a Short Round replica.

Mr Newman sure has his own voice, very recognizable and I'm starting to like his sound.

And this is coming from the guy whose love for film music is limited only to John Williams.

Have also to admit that Mr Newman has had very many brilliant films to score.

Mr Newman sure has his own voice, very recognizable and I'm starting to like his sound.

excellent....

one down, one to go, and then my work here is done.

1zodg7l.png

Who I wonder, oh who is sitting on that bordello red couch?

Please, please don't tell me!

Damn you Alice, I'm now mesmerized to Thomas Newman's music, have to Youtube all

of his music, I kinda always loved most of the movies he's scored....

But I'm not going to buy any of those, I can't cheat my precious Johnny.

Brooks was here.Is.Just.Brilliant.

How is the love for Mr Newman by other members here in the JWfan.com?

yay! I'm glad to hear it, hornist! he's such an underrated composer around here...

I know inky likes him. oh and richard penna too if I'm not mistaken. and maybe koray?

Yes there are a few of us Newman fans out here. :) Good to know hornist has joined the group.

I'm a selective Newman admirer - the more orchestral the better. Shawshank Redemption is his earliest score that I fully enjoy. I think his romantic side doesn't do that much for me.

Newman is very good to brilliant, depending on what he's doing. The problem with him is that he seems to be typecast. Can't wait for his first proper action score - Skyfall.

This new album is tempting. I like what I'm hearing.

Karol

• 1 month later...

Just saw this posted on Intrada:

Anyone else noticed that tracks 22 "She Hung Herself" and 23 "Cognac At Night" are actually the same track twice?

Source: http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4791

Thoughts?

both tracks are "cognac at night". they're 0:42 (which "cognac at night" is supposed to be, "she hung herself" is supposed to be 0:21).

I noticed this before but I didn't mention anything because I didn't think anyone would care lol.

You underestimate the craziness of film score collectors.

Definitely!

bwahaha, yeah I guess I should know better after a couple of months of this madhouse.

You have only scratched the surface of our madness in that time, believe me. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Roger has spoken about this issue:

hmm, i can't imagine this is only on my disc?

on mine track 22 "she hung herself" is IDENTICAL to the following track 23 "cognac at night", so the piece that's actually supposed to be track 22 is missing.

what about yours?

They're the same track, but it doesn't necessary mean that another track is missing.

Interestingly I lobbied to not include tracks 16-23 at all, as I prefer to albums to be a strong presentation of the score and I find all these extras to be padding. We include them because a few people like them, but overall I think it weakens the musical presentation (I think the concept of "music as art" gets lost on collectors sometimes). Not being involved in the production of the album, I can't explain what is going on with that particular track, but considering I think of them as baggage anyway I'm not inclined to start digging into it when there are new and more exciting projects to spend time on. Perhaps Doug will address in good time, but he's swamped right now with some very tight deadlines.

Source: http://www.intrada.n...t=4791&start=15