SCORE: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (John Williams) - A Complete Score Analysis

Incanus

18 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Is there an analysis of the second film's score on this forum? All I can find is those four photos of the sheets with the cues.

No one has done analysis of the second score here as far as I am aware. I was kind of tempted but the whole amount of delving into the adaptation, of who did what (Ross/Williams) and what was tracked etc. kind of dissuaded me from doing it. Perhaps I'll gather up energy and courage enough to write it someday.

12 minutes ago, Incanus said:

No one has done analysis of the second score here as far as I am aware. I was kind of tempted but the whole amount of delving into the adaptation, of who did what (Ross/Williams) and what was tracked etc. kind of dissuaded me from doing it. Perhaps I'll gather up energy and courage enough to write it someday.

I'm just curious, but how long did you need for the first one? I mean, look at it how much it is!

I'm halfway through a thematic breakdown, but it's purely analytical, no big words or essays, just half-sentence notes.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

I'm just curious, but how long did you need for the first one? I mean, look at it how much it is!

I think it took about 6 to 8 months in all. Plus the endless tweaks I have made over the years since I first posted it here. :P 

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

I think it took about 6 to 8 months in all. Plus the endless tweaks I have made over the years since I first posted it here. :P 

And of course the tweaks you will have to make when La La Land releases the complete score this November! :D 

14 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Is there an analysis of the second film's score on this forum? All I can find is those four photos of the sheets with the cues.

This might be of interest to you:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27619-chamber-of-secrets-thematic-and-originality-analysis/

22 hours ago, Holko said:

I'm halfway through a thematic breakdown, but it's purely analytical, no big words or essays, just half-sentence notes.

And it is great! Keep up the good work! :) 

• 1 year later...
On 10/20/2017 at 5:26 AM, Incanus said:

So we can expect Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban next year? 

15 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Stop tinkering with this one and get writing the next ones!!

I already have the tentative titles for the analyses written down: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - A Not Quite So Magical Masterpiece and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - John T. Goes Medieval

3 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I already have the tentative titles for the analyses written down: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - A Not So Quite Magical Masterpiece and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - John T. Goes Medieval

Only 80 pages of text to go!

• 2 weeks later...

I updated the original post with the relevant info pertaining to the new boxed set, including track titles and where each cue can be found on the new release.

Now on to COS/Azkaban! ;)

Also, just going to let you know, that you forgot to change the last lines of the section on the Children's Suite, it still claims that it has not been released.

Thanks Fal! Fixed. But I'll go through the article at least once more to make sure all lines up with the new boxed set's information once I get the set.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Woah! That's wicked! A track-by-track analysis of one of my favorite scores and my overall favorite Williams-work! Such a great job you did there! Honestly, I hadn't thought I would ever see a in depth-analysis, worthy of Adam's LOTR book! So great and I'm looking forward to COS, if you will do one:)

By the way, where did you find the score? I've looked everywhere on the internet, but I couldn't find a complete score, just a "suite".

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/09/2021 at 3:55 PM, bollemanneke said:

Forget COS, he promised us POA!

If only I had time to write analyses on both scores one of these days but alas not at the moment.