Jump to content

SCORE: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (John Williams) - A Complete Score Analysis


Incanus
 Share

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Is there an analysis of the second film's score on this forum? All I can find is those four photos of the sheets with the cues.

No one has done analysis of the second score here as far as I am aware. I was kind of tempted but the whole amount of delving into the adaptation, of who did what (Ross/Williams) and what was tracked etc. kind of dissuaded me from doing it. Perhaps I'll gather up energy and courage enough to write it someday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Incanus said:

No one has done analysis of the second score here as far as I am aware. I was kind of tempted but the whole amount of delving into the adaptation, of who did what (Ross/Williams) and what was tracked etc. kind of dissuaded me from doing it. Perhaps I'll gather up energy and courage enough to write it someday.

I'm just curious, but how long did you need for the first one? I mean, look at it how much it is!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm halfway through a thematic breakdown, but it's purely analytical, no big words or essays, just half-sentence notes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

I'm just curious, but how long did you need for the first one? I mean, look at it how much it is!

I think it took about 6 to 8 months in all. Plus the endless tweaks I have made over the years since I first posted it here. :P 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

I think it took about 6 to 8 months in all. Plus the endless tweaks I have made over the years since I first posted it here. :P 

 

And of course the tweaks you will have to make when La La Land releases the complete score this November! :D 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Is there an analysis of the second film's score on this forum? All I can find is those four photos of the sheets with the cues.

 

This might be of interest to you:

 

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27619-chamber-of-secrets-thematic-and-originality-analysis/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Holko said:

I'm halfway through a thematic breakdown, but it's purely analytical, no big words or essays, just half-sentence notes.

And it is great! Keep up the good work! :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
On 10/20/2017 at 5:26 AM, Incanus said:

No one has done analysis of the second score here as far as I am aware. I was kind of tempted but the whole amount of delving into the adaptation, of who did what (Ross/Williams) and what was tracked etc. kind of dissuaded me from doing it. Perhaps I'll gather up energy and courage enough to write it someday.

 

So we can expect Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban next year? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Stop tinkering with this one and get writing the next ones!!

I already have the tentative titles for the analyses written down: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - A Not Quite So Magical Masterpiece and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - John T. Goes Medieval

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I already have the tentative titles for the analyses written down: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - A Not So Quite Magical Masterpiece and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - John T. Goes Medieval

 

Only 80 pages of text to go!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I updated the original post with the relevant info pertaining to the new boxed set, including track titles and where each cue can be found on the new release.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Fal! Fixed. But I'll go through the article at least once more to make sure all lines up with the new boxed set's information once I get the set.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Woah! That's wicked! A track-by-track analysis of one of my favorite scores and my overall favorite Williams-work! Such a great job you did there! Honestly, I hadn't thought I would ever see a in depth-analysis, worthy of Adam's LOTR book! So great and I'm looking forward to COS, if you will do one:)

 

By the way, where did you find the score? I've looked everywhere on the internet, but I couldn't find a complete score, just a "suite".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 29/09/2021 at 3:55 PM, bollemanneke said:

Forget COS, he promised us POA!

If only I had time to write analyses on both scores one of these days but alas not at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.