Patton or Saving Private Ryan...the poll.

JoeinAR

Which is the better score and film?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better film score

• Patton by Jerry Goldsmith
    • Saving Private Ryan by John Williams
  2. 2. Which is the better film

Well, Hymn is a an end credits piece, so its use is not as promenient as Barber's adagio in Platoon or Patton's March. Actually, considering both scores, I'd say the main themes are not the most interesting aspect of each. I couldn't possibly add anything to Marcus wonderful post, but I'd just add the German March is my favorite piece from Patton :) The Nazis always get great themes

Patton is the better film, though

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I was referring to was the personal, artistic response of a composer to a (war) drama...

A personal artistic response heavily influenced by James Horner's COURAGE UNDER FIRE. It's really a rather expected approach and reinforces the more conventional leanings of the movie.

What I was referring to was the personal, artistic response of a composer to a (war) drama...

A personal artistic response heavily influenced by James Horner's COURAGE UNDER FIRE. It's really a rather expected approach and reinforces the more conventional leanings of the movie.

Well, Horner's Courage Under Fire may be conventional, but there is nothing even remotely conventional about the quality, integrity, sincerity and depth of Williams' score for Saving Private Ryan. It is important not to mistake a certain measure of expectedness for lack of quality. Conversely, "unexpected" has never equalled "quality". The great difference between Williams' Ryan effort and all the countless scores that may to some extent explore similar musical terrain, is that Williams imbues such terrain with a nobility and dignity unmatched by any living composer, and few historical ones. It is a question of craft, vision, and ultimately, I believe, empathy.

There is nothing wrong with SPR. One of those scores that grows on you as you're getting older. I really like the formal, raw and generally non-filmic (IMO) performance of Boston Symphony Orchestra and the more concert hall sounding acoustics. Gives it certain weight and dignity that might have been otherwise lost in a Hollywood recording studio.

Having said all that, it is no competition to Patton.

Karol

Apples and oranges. They're two totally different WWII movies and each score does exactly what it needs to. There's no comparison.

wrong,

which do you like better apples or oranges?

They're two totally different fruits, there's no comparison......

The Thin Red Line is better than either of them.

Bah. I love TTRL to death (I want a complete one.) And I love the variation on the non-Zimmer melodies.

...but there's nothing on TTLR that's cooler than the march in Patton.