The Official Ennio Morricone Thread

Muad'Dib

On 9/24/2017 at 1:38 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Vienna, February 16, 2014, he was sitting down. I think it was right after his back injury, might even have been the concert right after Berlin. I never expected him to finish his tour, let alone to actually return to Vienna yet again (he did this year).

He only cares about music, money and women - just like the rest of us!

1 minute ago, Smeltington said:

Have multiple versions of The Mission score been released? If so, any recommendations on which one to get?

Don't think so. Just stop the OST halfway through.

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've never seen Orca. Is it a Jaws ripoff?

Yep. And a pretty bizarre one at that. It's worth dipping into just once if you have an affinity for those kind of movies like I do, but really, it's only funny once. 

Morricone's score comes close to saving it, but alas.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Thanks @Muad'Dib, but I've heard virtually all of these. I've been checking out Morricone's soundtracks for a long time and I still do, but very seldom do I find something that I consider great. The Untouchables is one of my favourite scores, though, together with some of his spaghetti westerns (Dollar trilogy + West). You should check out the expanded soundtrack release of The Untouchables!

One of the worst scores to listen to in complete form.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

One of the worst scores to listen to in complete form.

Morricone was (and is) a genius but it's a grave mistake to rank him and his european approach of composing for the cinema along the lines of typical narrative Hollywood traditions. 'Complete scores' are the worst thing that could happen to a Morricone work. Still, a lot of his scores and how he set music to films has a) run circles around conventional Hollywood wisdom and b) is more relevant today than ever before, going by modern concept scores and often also the melodic content. It was for a reason that guys like Horner blushed before 'The Mission' when the y saw it in 1986 (Horner famously voted for Morricone over his own contributions for 'Aliens').

Except The Mission

If you don't have this album in your collection, shame on you. 

Say no more.

Please quit this forum instantly with your tail between your legs.

:pfft:

• 4 weeks later...

I recently bought the expanded Secret of the Sahara score. It is a magnificent and sometimes surreal score! I listened to it, when I went to bed and was somehow trapped in a condition between sleep and vigilance. It was like I had taken drugs and it has never happened to me before. I could swear there were minutes of silence before the music set in again, but that's somehow not really possible.

The release, however, is really awkward. Some tracks seem to be compressed and others are unbearably loud. Just compare The Mountain and Meeting Orso. The volume difference is insane!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice!

JW is oldschool like him, loves what he does, everything else is awful shit with no substance an ape with a computer could write! Zimmer needs projections on his shows because otherwise his audience would have no idea what the music is from, it all sounds generic and the same, but Hollywood also only makes shit with no passion for film, only for the money. Refreshingly standard "grumpy old man" stuff from a kinda big name.

What does he say about Williams and Zimmer? Also, what does he say about Tarantino? Why is he a cretin? 

Can someone please post a translation of what he said about them?

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:09 PM, Smeltington said:

Have multiple versions of The Mission score been released? If so, any recommendations on which one to get?

I'd recommend Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation.

Someone who speaks German should do this, but here goes.

The quote about John Williams according to Google Translate.  He subscribes to the "computers ruin music" idea clearly.

"John Williams is okay. He's old school, just like me. He loves what he does. But the rest - pff - that's bubblegum. This has no substance. A monkey could write on the computer"

In the Zimmer quote, he's talking about how he doesn't like Zimmer's huge concerts.

It's something like this, had to goose the Google translate:

Yes, what he does there is really bad: these gigantic shows, where he shows film clips on huge screens, because people did not even know which film the music is from. And because it does not work without the pictures

Truth to be told, it's the part about Tarantino that's incredible: he's a no-talent idiot, a cretin, calls people at last notice, even during the, night bothering them with his on-the-fly shit, Morricone says him and his movies stink! (and obviously told him so in person, maybe the language barrier helped;)

Maybe QT has the last laugh when Morricone gladly accepts the 'Once upon a time in Hollywood' assignment...😎

I've never heard either score, but I am sure if I did I would agree that his The Mission is a better score than Herbie Hancock's 'Round Midnight.

Of course, my personal favorite score of the nominees that year is Horner's ALIENS.

I dunno... take out the last sentence and it reads like an objective (if uncharitable) take on the situation. 

That last line though, a little over the top. He did score the movie after all, and it’s not like Tarantino held a gun to his head. No need to be so harsh on Tarantino. 

Morricone has been shafted by Hollywood for years. They paid him far far less then composers of lesser stature then him were making. It's why he stopped doing American movies. You can't blame him for feeling conned.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never heard either score, but I am sure if I did I would agree that his The Mission is a better score than Herbie Hancock's 'Round Midnight.

Of course, my personal favorite score of the nominees that year is Horner's ALIENS.

You haven't heard the score to The Mission? It's one of the most overrated scores out there!

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Objective take?  He just comes across a narcissistic, bitter, pathetic old man if you ask me.  I lost respect for him from that honestly.

He's sounded like a grumpy old man in all the interviews I've read with him.