The Official Ennio Morricone Thread

Muad'Dib

That's not far from the truth. :lol:

I found this interesting bit of info on Filmtracks:

A lengthier version of the soundtrack was initially available in Europe; the running time of the later, American album was cut to coincide with the shorter version of the film in that country.

So this is in fact the original soundtrack program, and the tracks that were cut for the US album weren't ditched because they were bad or redundant, they were cut because they didn't feature in the dumbed down US version of the film.

• 1 month later...

Would absolutely love to hear the supposedly orchestral version Morricone made of this. It's already gorgeous, but I'd ive anything to hear what Morricone did on his own with it

• 3 months later...

Sure it does, its track #5

https://www.discogs.com/Ennio-Morricone-Hornets-Nest/master/315907

EDIT: ah, that's a 1978 bootleg.  I dunno the new name for the FSM or Quartet version, but you can listen to the 1978 version on youtube and use that to figure it out

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

EDIT: ah, that's a 1978 bootleg.  I dunno the new name for the FSM or Quartet version, but you can listen to the 1978 version on youtube and use that to figure it out

Thanks Jay!

Yes, I have the FSM TREASURY version

On 6/10/2020 at 12:11 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

That's not far from the truth. :lol:

I found this interesting bit of info on Filmtracks:

A lengthier version of the soundtrack was initially available in Europe; the running time of the later, American album was cut to coincide with the shorter version of the film in that country.

So this is in fact the original soundtrack program, and the tracks that were cut for the US album weren't ditched because they were bad or redundant, they were cut because they didn't feature in the dumbed down US version of the film.

I do not think that is correct.

The US version is 2:45!!!!

7 hours ago, Jay said:

It's track twenty on the FSM, " Bianca the German Doctor".
Can't recall it's use in the film. Might have been a tender scene with Hilde and DJANGO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Addition of Morricone 60 to my baby Ennio Morricone CD collection!

I'm not sure what is on the DVD, a documentary or the filmed concert?

IMG_20210223_132446_657.jpg

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Addition of Morricone 60 to my baby Ennio Morricone CD collection!

I'm not sure what is on the DVD, a documentary or the filmed concert?

IMG_20210223_132446_657.jpg

This is a fantastic document from the Abbey Road recording session. Interviews and and music. Ennio re-recorded the themes of "The Hateful Eight" with the idea of a vinyl release. Importantly, there are all here in full, in 5.1 quality. There's even a "Regan's Theme" from "The Exorcist II", used in "Hateful Eight". The picture quality, even though it's a DVD, is pretty good too. Highly recommended.

I saw it, I know understand it's an essential companion to The Hateful Eight Soundtrack (containing the new recordings from The Thing score, etc).

They recorded the music at Abbey Road Studios, directly to acetates! 100% analog, totally crazy...

I'll have to rip the audio of that DVD.

DVD: Morricone & Tarantino At Abbey Road Studios    
1        Orchestra Arrival, Introductions And Setup    3:40
2        "Regan's Theme (Floating Sound)"    4:07
3        "L'Ultima Digilenza Di Red Rock - Versione Integrale"    9:07
4        "Neve (Snow) #3"    4:55
5        "L'Inferno Bianco (White Hell) - Ottoni"    2:28
6        "Despair"    10:00
7        "L'Inferno Bianco (White Hell) - Synth"    3:39
8        "Despair (Variation)"    7:39
9        "Neve (Snow) #3 - Versione Integrale"    10:43
10        "Bestiality"    5:10
11        "La Lettera Di Lincoln (The Lincoln Letter)"    3:51
A.        Walton Goggins (Introductions)    0:53
B.        "La Lettera Di Lincoln (The Lincoln Letter) (Con Dialogue)"    2:11
12        Epilogue    3:51
13        End Credits    2:23

I know understand the content of this promo CD https://www.discogs.com/Ennio-Morricone-The-Hateful-Eight-Live-From-Abbey-Road-Studios/release/8263705

I don't have the "60" compilation myself, but I agree that compilations in general are a great way into the incalulable work of Morricone. Back in the mid 90s, this compilation was my gateway into the lesser known music of the composer, after primarily being aware of his classics like THE MISSION, the spaghetti westerns and so on. Today, I have 115 soundtracks by him, several of which were represented on that ol' comp. But I still listen to it once a while, because of the particular constellation of cues.

Well it's a compilation of Morricone Greatest "Hits", but not a "Compilation CD", it's made of new live recordings made at Abbey Road Studios with the Czech National SO in 2016, except for the last 4 (bonus) tracks (which are I guess the original versions):

20   Main Theme (For A Few Dollars More) 2:50
21   Titoli (A Fistful Of Dollars) 2:57
22   La Califfa (The Lady Caliph) 2:38
23   Death Theme (The Untouchables) 2:43

19 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Well it's a compilation of Morricone Greatest "Hits", but not a "Compilation CD", it's made of new live recordings made at Abbey Road Studios...

Yes, I know you delineate between them, but I don't. I consider it a compilation whether it's rerecorded or original tracks.

• 1 month later...

Can't help it. I have one 2-disc Ennio Morricone Best of, which is really great, but I feel no urge to expand my collection of his soundtracks.

I think, the reason might be, in spite of the undeniably quality of the music, that I like emotional scores and for some reason this very obvious sentimentality in Morricones emotional scores does not grap me the way I like to be.

Other reason might be, that his music is often to me more like pop music. And when I want to hear pop music, I listen to pop music and not to soundtracks that sound like pop music.

Or maybe I am just not grown up enough for Ennio Morricone.

There are differents Morricone, the one Who had to work hard and who did alimentary Works till his 40s, then the one Who knew success and started to score big budget movies.

Interesting projects came late in Morricone's career.

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Other reason might be, that his music is often to me more like pop music. And when I want to hear pop music, I listen to pop music and not to soundtracks that sound like pop music.

Why not? Sounds like a rhetoric fig leaf for 'this stuff doesn't sound like what film music is *supposed* to sound like' (i. e. american).

Ennio was 36 when he started hitting it big with the dollars trilogy.

JW did mostly forgettable comedies until he was in his late thirties, then hit it big with Jaws when he was 43.

So Ennio achieved BIG film scoring success earlier in his life than JW.

Success is relative.

Anyway, I don't love his spaghetti western years.

Writing a catchy tune from time to time, that's one thing, but building cohesive and well developped scores, that's another thing.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Ennio was 36 when he started hitting it big with the dollars trilogy.

JW did mostly forgettable comedies until he was in his late thirties, then hit it big with Jaws when he was 43.

So Ennio achieved BIG film scoring success earlier in his life than JW.

So, Dollar Trilogy counts, but The Reivers, The Cowbows and other efforts of Williams before Jaws don't?

24 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

So, Dollar Trilogy counts, but The Reivers, The Cowbows and other efforts of Williams before Jaws don't?

I was trying to compare their first mega successes.

43 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Anyway, I don't love his spaghetti western years.

The dollars trilogy and Once Upon a Time in the West are among his greatest achievements.

Screenshot_2020-06-11-14-53-48~2.png

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

....I don't love his spaghetti western years.

Writing a catchy tune from time to time, that's one thing, but building cohesive and well developped scores, that's another thing.

You're dead to me#😠😡

I'm sorry but you can't listen to this and tell me it doesn't touch your soul to its rock core. And I don't believe in God or Jesus or whatever, but man...

Absolute genius.

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I was trying to compare their first mega successes.

Ok. Understand. I am luckily too young to remember how successful Morricone was with his soundtracks in the late 60s and how unsuccessful Williams was with his ones before Jaws. :)

8 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

I'm sorry but you can't listen to this and tell me it doesn't touch your soul to its rock core. And I don't believe in God or Jesus or whatever, but man...

FATELESS is my second favourite Morricone score of all time.

33 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Ok. Understand. I am luckily too young to remember how successful Morricone was with his soundtracks in the late 60s and how unsuccessful Williams was with his ones before Jaws. :)

You don't have to remember as long as others write it down. :)

8 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

I'm sorry but you can't listen to this and tell me it doesn't touch your soul to its rock core. 

Öm. Actually I can.

Can't help it.

14 hours ago, publicist said:

Why not? Sounds like a rhetoric fig leaf for 'this stuff doesn't sound like what film music is *supposed* to sound like' (i. e. american).

I was thinking a lot about your statement.

Again I would like to differentiate between how music works for the film and do I like to listen to that particular music separated from the film. I like Morricone's music in the respective movies, but it is nothing I like hearing when I am just listening to soundtracks. And I would claim that I have a better access for example to the music of Nino Rota than to Morricone. Still what you said might be particularly right for me.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I'm a big fan of Lana Del Rey and realised her latest album was out, and track 4 is this.

The reason it's called The Trio is evident a few seconds in.

But.... wait for it....... 

I'm not sure yet what I think, but I can't imagine what went through her head to do that to it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just to let anyone thinking of getting the new Morricone: Cinema Suites for Violin and Orchestra album and buying it from 7Digital (https://uk.7digital.com/artist/marco-serino-orchestra-haydn-di-bolzano-e-trento-and-andrea-morricone/release/morricone-cinema-suites-for-violin-and-orchestra-18738180), they have somehow screwed up the file upload. On the website, the first six tracks are all marked track 1, same for the next half dozen marked as 2 etc. but in reality, all of the tracks marked 1 are the same track repeated, so basically you only get the first few tracks (see screen shot from my iTunes library... the track names are right, but you'll notice the first six tracks are all the same length). I've emailed customer support to ask them to fix it but just wanted to let people know and will update on the outcome. It's also at Presto Classical but was actually more expensive (which is unusual) and there were a couple of other things I wanted from 7Digital so I got it from there instead.

From what I've heard so far, it's a great album so I can't wait to hear the rest! Definitely a fine companion to the Yo-Yo Ma cello album.

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 11.42.49.png

21 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Just to let anyone thinking of getting the new Morricone: Cinema Suites for Violin and Orchestra album and buying it from 7Digital (https://uk.7digital.com/artist/marco-serino-orchestra-haydn-di-bolzano-e-trento-and-andrea-morricone/release/morricone-cinema-suites-for-violin-and-orchestra-18738180), they have somehow screwed up the file upload. On the website, the first six tracks are all marked track 1, same for the next half dozen marked as 2 etc. but in reality, all of the tracks marked 1 are the same track repeated, so basically you only get the first few tracks (see screen shot from my iTunes library... the track names are right, but you'll notice the first six tracks are all the same length). I've emailed customer support to ask them to fix it but just wanted to let people know and will update on the outcome. It's also at Presto Classical but was actually more expensive (which is unusual) and there were a couple of other things I wanted from 7Digital so I got it from there instead.

From what I've heard so far, it's a great album so I can't wait to hear the rest! Definitely a fine companion to the Yo-Yo Ma cello album.

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 11.42.49.png

Update: 7Digital will request a "redelivery from the record label"... given that could take a random amount of time, I went for a refund and have bought it from Presto Classical (https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9264214--morricone-cinema-suites-for-violin-and-orchestra) as it's only £1 more in CD quality FLAC, plus you get a digital booklet from Presto that 7Digital don't do. All tracks appear to be present and correct!

• 5 months later...
31 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Is there any kind of fan consensus of EM's best score?

I'd say that THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, THE MISSION, CINEMA PARADISO, THE LEGEND OF 1900, and THE UNTOUCHABLES, would all be on that list.