Jump to content

The Official Ennio Morricone Thread


Muad'Dib
 Share

Recommended Posts

It's not my favorite Morricone score, but it's good enough to warrant having it on CD. I'm just wondering whether the additional tracks are any good. I don't need a longer presentation that makes the listening experience less interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's not far from the truth. :lol:

 

I found this interesting bit of info on Filmtracks:

 

A lengthier version of the soundtrack was initially available in Europe; the running time of the later, American album was cut to coincide with the shorter version of the film in that country.

 

So this is in fact the original soundtrack program, and the tracks that were cut for the US album weren't ditched because they were bad or redundant, they were cut because they didn't feature in the dumbed down US version of the film.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Would absolutely love to hear the supposedly orchestral version Morricone made of this. It's already gorgeous, but I'd ive anything to hear what Morricone did on his own with it

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Sure it does, its track #5

 

https://www.discogs.com/Ennio-Morricone-Hornets-Nest/master/315907

 

EDIT: ah, that's a 1978 bootleg.  I dunno the new name for the FSM or Quartet version, but you can listen to the 1978 version on youtube and use that to figure it out

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sure it does, its track #5

 

https://www.discogs.com/Ennio-Morricone-Hornets-Nest/master/315907

 

EDIT: ah, that's a 1978 bootleg.  I dunno the new name for the FSM or Quartet version, but you can listen to the 1978 version on youtube and use that to figure it out

 

 

Thanks Jay!

Yes, I have the FSM TREASURY version

 

On 6/10/2020 at 12:11 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

That's not far from the truth. :lol:

 

I found this interesting bit of info on Filmtracks:

 

A lengthier version of the soundtrack was initially available in Europe; the running time of the later, American album was cut to coincide with the shorter version of the film in that country.

 

So this is in fact the original soundtrack program, and the tracks that were cut for the US album weren't ditched because they were bad or redundant, they were cut because they didn't feature in the dumbed down US version of the film.

I do not think that is correct.

The US version is 2:45!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Sure it does, its track #5

 

https://www.discogs.com/Ennio-Morricone-Hornets-Nest/master/315907

 

EDIT: ah, that's a 1978 bootleg.  I dunno the new name for the FSM or Quartet version, but you can listen to the 1978 version on youtube and use that to figure it out

 

 

It's track twenty on the FSM, " Bianca the German Doctor".
Can't recall it's use in the film. Might have been a tender scene with Hilde and DJANGO.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Addition of Morricone 60 to my baby Ennio Morricone CD collection!

 

I'm not sure what is on the DVD, a documentary or the filmed concert?

 

IMG_20210223_132446_657.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Addition of Morricone 60 to my baby Ennio Morricone CD collection!

 

I'm not sure what is on the DVD, a documentary or the filmed concert?

 

IMG_20210223_132446_657.jpg

 

This is a fantastic document from the Abbey Road recording session. Interviews and and music. Ennio re-recorded the themes of "The Hateful Eight" with the idea of a vinyl release. Importantly, there are all here in full, in 5.1 quality. There's even a "Regan's Theme" from "The Exorcist II", used in "Hateful Eight". The picture quality, even though it's a DVD, is pretty good too. Highly recommended.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw it, I know understand it's an essential companion to The Hateful Eight Soundtrack (containing the new recordings from The Thing score, etc).

 

They recorded the music at Abbey Road Studios, directly to acetates! 100% analog, totally crazy...

 

I'll have to rip the audio of that DVD.

 

Quote

DVD: Morricone & Tarantino At Abbey Road Studios    
1        Orchestra Arrival, Introductions And Setup    3:40
2        "Regan's Theme (Floating Sound)"    4:07
3        "L'Ultima Digilenza Di Red Rock - Versione Integrale"    9:07
4        "Neve (Snow) #3"    4:55
5        "L'Inferno Bianco (White Hell) - Ottoni"    2:28
6        "Despair"    10:00
7        "L'Inferno Bianco (White Hell) - Synth"    3:39
8        "Despair (Variation)"    7:39
9        "Neve (Snow) #3 - Versione Integrale"    10:43
10        "Bestiality"    5:10
11        "La Lettera Di Lincoln (The Lincoln Letter)"    3:51
A.        Walton Goggins (Introductions)    0:53
B.        "La Lettera Di Lincoln (The Lincoln Letter) (Con Dialogue)"    2:11
12        Epilogue    3:51
13        End Credits    2:23

 

I know understand the content of this promo CD https://www.discogs.com/Ennio-Morricone-The-Hateful-Eight-Live-From-Abbey-Road-Studios/release/8263705

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't have the "60" compilation myself, but I agree that compilations in general are a great way into the incalulable work of Morricone. Back in the mid 90s, this compilation was my gateway into the lesser known music of the composer, after primarily being aware of his classics like THE MISSION, the spaghetti westerns and so on. Today, I have 115 soundtracks by him, several of which were represented on that ol' comp. But I still listen to it once a while, because of the particular constellation of cues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well it's a compilation of Morricone Greatest "Hits", but not a "Compilation CD", it's made of new live recordings made at Abbey Road Studios with the Czech National SO in 2016, except for the last 4 (bonus) tracks (which are I guess the original versions):

 

 

20   Main Theme (For A Few Dollars More) 2:50
21   Titoli (A Fistful Of Dollars) 2:57
22   La Califfa (The Lady Caliph) 2:38
23   Death Theme (The Untouchables) 2:43

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Well it's a compilation of Morricone Greatest "Hits", but not a "Compilation CD", it's made of new live recordings made at Abbey Road Studios...

 

Yes, I know you delineate between them, but I don't. I consider it a compilation whether it's rerecorded or original tracks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Can't help it. I have one 2-disc Ennio Morricone Best of, which is really great, but I feel no urge to expand my collection of his soundtracks.

 

I think, the reason might be, in spite of the undeniably quality of the music, that I like emotional scores and for some reason this very obvious sentimentality in Morricones emotional scores does not grap me the way I like to be.

 

Other reason might be, that his music is often to me more like pop music. And when I want to hear pop music, I listen to pop music and not to soundtracks that sound like pop music.

 

Or maybe I am just not grown up enough for Ennio Morricone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are differents Morricone, the one Who had to work hard and who did alimentary Works till his 40s, then the one Who knew success and started to score big budget movies.

 

Interesting projects came late in Morricone's career.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Other reason might be, that his music is often to me more like pop music. And when I want to hear pop music, I listen to pop music and not to soundtracks that sound like pop music.

 

 

Why not? Sounds like a rhetoric fig leaf for 'this stuff doesn't sound like what film music is *supposed* to sound like' (i. e. american).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Interesting projects came late in Morricone's career.

 

Similar to JW.

 

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

There are differents Morricone

 

Yeah, Ennio and Andrea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Similar to JW.

 

Not at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ennio was 36 when he started hitting it big with the dollars trilogy.

 

JW did mostly forgettable comedies until he was in his late thirties, then hit it big with Jaws when he was 43.

 

So Ennio achieved BIG film scoring success earlier in his life than JW.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Success is relative.

 

Anyway, I don't love his spaghetti western years.

 

Writing a catchy tune from time to time, that's one thing, but building cohesive and well developped scores, that's another thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Ennio was 36 when he started hitting it big with the dollars trilogy.

 

JW did mostly forgettable comedies until he was in his late thirties, then hit it big with Jaws when he was 43.

 

So Ennio achieved BIG film scoring success earlier in his life than JW.

So, Dollar Trilogy counts, but The Reivers, The Cowbows and other efforts of Williams before Jaws don't?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

So, Dollar Trilogy counts, but The Reivers, The Cowbows and other efforts of Williams before Jaws don't?

 

I was trying to compare their first mega successes.

 

43 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Anyway, I don't love his spaghetti western years.

 

The dollars trilogy and Once Upon a Time in the West are among his greatest achievements.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Screenshot_2020-06-11-14-53-48~2.png

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

....I don't love his spaghetti western years.

 

Writing a catchy tune from time to time, that's one thing, but building cohesive and well developped scores, that's another thing.

You're dead to me#😠😡

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sorry but you can't listen to this and tell me it doesn't touch your soul to its rock core. And I don't believe in God or Jesus or whatever, but man...

 

 

Absolute genius.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I was trying to compare their first mega successes.

Ok. Understand. I am luckily too young to remember how successful Morricone was with his soundtracks in the late 60s and how unsuccessful Williams was with his ones before Jaws. :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

I'm sorry but you can't listen to this and tell me it doesn't touch your soul to its rock core. And I don't believe in God or Jesus or whatever, but man...

 

FATELESS is my second favourite Morricone score of all time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Ok. Understand. I am luckily too young to remember how successful Morricone was with his soundtracks in the late 60s and how unsuccessful Williams was with his ones before Jaws. :)

 

 

You don't have to remember as long as others write it down. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

I'm sorry but you can't listen to this and tell me it doesn't touch your soul to its rock core. 

Öm. Actually I can.

Can't help it.

14 hours ago, publicist said:

Why not? Sounds like a rhetoric fig leaf for 'this stuff doesn't sound like what film music is *supposed* to sound like' (i. e. american).

I was thinking a lot about your statement.

Again I would like to differentiate between how music works for the film and do I like to listen to that particular music separated from the film. I like Morricone's music in the respective movies, but it is nothing I like hearing when I am just listening to soundtracks. And I would claim that I have a better access for example to the music of Nino Rota than to Morricone. Still what you said might be particularly right for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.