La-La Land Records re-issues John Williams' Jane Eyre OST May 22nd 2012

Romão

What we're saying is that it's hard to predict. Some people think it will sell out really fast, some people think it will never sell out at all.

They said Tora! Tora! Tora! would sell out fast. But it didn't. And it's Goldsmith.

Karol

Ordered mine. Everyone ordering, be sure to mention JWFan in the comment box!!

I usually don't write anything in the comments, unless there's some special sale going on (like those FSM bundles). Partly because I assume whoever processes the orders just has to read and discard more comments if they contain anything with no significance to order processing. So I was wondering if there was a special reason for this.

Almost bought it,but then decided I don't really need this disc. I'm content with the Silva Screen edition. There are more important things I need to spend my money on atm. Maybe some day, if it doesn't sell out.

Karol

this should have been paired with lets say, Heidi. (or add your favorite OOP/unreleased old short williams score)

Now a full CD with one officially-never-released score would be more interesting that just a remastering.

I'm sure you'll take the shrinkwrap off in time for its 100th anniversary

Actually, I'm getting better at keeping up with my recent CD purchases. I only own two specialty soundtrack CDs that I haven't opened and ripped yet, and they were bought to justify having gotten them through other means, and so I may never open them; they're not even OOP or anything.

There are still plenty that are still waiting to be sorted, tagged, iPodded, and listened to, but so what? Someone here commented at FSM that if you haven't listened to all your stuff, then you buy too much. I say bollocks.

You buy something when it goes on sale to save money in the long run. If you wait until the day you "know" ahead of time that you will listen to it, then it may go out of print and you will spend more money than you could have.

Do people eat every single piece of food the day they buy it? Or do you store some of it in the pantry, refrigerator, or freeze it for weeks and months down the road, when you don't feel like driving to the store or want to try something new?

ok.. I guess this won't be sold out within the next 24 hours...

Now a full CD with one officially-never-released score would be more interesting that just a remastering.

SpaceCamp was sold out in 24 hours, and it was a reissue.

SpaceCamp is a more popular style of JW composing and that score has this awful collectible status prior to the reissue since it's only been made available in limited quantities in Japan or whatever. So it was natural that a limited reissue would sell out quickly considering these two facts.

I guess I should grab this.

ok.. I guess this won't be sold out within the next 24 hours...

SpaceCamp was sold out in 24 hours, and it was a reissue.

of an region-exclusive CD from the 90's (or late 80's?). And i think it last 48 min... wich almost counts as a decent filled CD.

Jane Eyre was available in the 2000's. Heck, i bought it in El Corte Inglés.

of an region-exclusive CD from the 90's (or late 80's?). And i think it last 48 min... wich almost counts as a decent filled CD.

Today, 48 min is a mediocre duration in some CD releases.

That's a bit unusual, isn't it?

Today, 48 min is a mediocre duration in some CD releases.

That's a bit unusual, isn't it?

I'd rather have 48 minutes of quality material, than 75 minutes of filler.

I'm agree. Usually, 75 minutes is a long duration and that makes the album tends to be less enjoyable and boring.

The thing that stands out to me is the element of pastiche. I love Williams' style at its purest, but any composer starts to sound limited if they spend too much time in their own head. It's why I love some Bach pieces that are meant as imitations of Vivaldi, for example. So with Jane Eyre, I like that Williams adapts to the period and the geography. Same thing he did much more recently with War Horse, but to a lesser extent.

I listened to the new LLL CD today. It's terrific! I really loved the string quartet piece!

Again the classic question: Do you have the original and how does the sound quality compare?

I'll let you know as soon as I get mine, Mikko. And I still remember when I found you a copy of the original release in London :)

I'll let you know as soon as I get mine, Mikko. And I still remember when I found you a copy of the original release in London :)

Thank you.

And I am still extremely grateful to you for so kindly getting it for me, the soundtrack being one of my all time favourites. :)

Again the classic question: Do you have the original and how does the sound quality compare?

No. The classic question is: Was the jewel case cracked?

That's Josh's special ultraneurotic obsessive question.

I am ashamed to admit i never had the original release and had never even listened to the score before!

I can see why since Williams is a confessed Anglophile. You can really hear this love in the music of Jane Eyre. Not only it is a chameleon like in its allusion to British musical style but full of lyrical pathos and wonderful drama, excellent melodies and beautiful orchestration that is pure Williams.

My copy arrived in the mail yesterday wrapped in copious amounts of bubble wrap!

Jane Eyre and Starhawk in perfect condition.... Sorcery with a big crack in the case :(

I've listened to the CD, the Love Theme is beautiful and the rest of the score is pretty enjoyable, especially these cues: Festivity At Thornfield and Restoration. However, this reissue has some sound issues.

Well if ever there was a high time for a masterful re-recording it is now! :)

Not sure about the new release, Ink, but on my system, the boot sounds better than the Silva Screen release. The original TER vinyl release sounded awful in 1982.

Never heard this one. Haven't listened to samples. Looking forward to the right opportunity to spend time with it. It's not a pop-in-the-car-and-listen-during-your-commute score.

so this is better soundig than the silva CD re-release (from 1999) or not??

I'm no audiophile, Manuel, but to my ears the new release sounds much clearer, for example there is some instrumentation in a few tracks that I did not really notice when listening to the Silva Screen 1999 release. The liner notes are very interesting too (I had no idea that Williams was originally lined up to score Kidnapped, for example), so although I hardly ever 'double dip' on a score just for improved sound quality, there is enough going for the La-La Land release to warrant a purchase if you have the funds and if it is a score that you enjoy.

By the way, I got my CD delivered in London yesterday, less than one week after ordering. That's fast!