La-La Land Records re-issues John Williams' Jane Eyre OST May 22nd 2012

Romão

• 2 weeks later...

Still for sale at La-La Land - are for the low low price of $8!!!!!!!!!

http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/JaneEyre.html

BUY NOW!

9,98 actually.

$9.98 is a permanent reduction. Then they take off 20% off that when you put it in your basket.

I bought the release recently. It doesn't sound much different but has nice packaging and liner notes.

Karol

It's a good deal, although international shipping clocks in at $10(!), so the total of $18 isn't quite as tempting. I would probably have gone for it if it were, like, $10 in total (if only to get the liner notes and improved sound), but with that price I'm sticking with my old Silva release.

America? No, thank you, I need my social security. That being said, I wouldn't mind staying there for a limited time -- if only to make use of these types of offers.

And why is that?

Karol

Familiarity. I know the language, the culture etc.

Also, no one in their right mind who grew up in Western Europe would wanna live in one of these former Communist countries.

I mean even the people who live there are seeking our riches. In massive hords!

I mean even the people who live there are seeking our riches. In massive hords!

Nah, that is a bit cliche. Even for you.

I've lived in both for quite some time. And I can tell you the differences are not all that noticeable anymore.

Karol

Better life? Not really. It was more about personal stuff. But that was long time ago. To be honest, already forgot why I'm here.

Might as well move to Netherlands now. ;)

Karol

The fatty bulbous teet of our nations welfare system is mine!

That's not how it works!

Anyway, I can't remember what we were talking about in this thread...

Karol

• 2 years later...

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but am I hearing random crackles or are my ears deceiving me? For example, in the piano solo at the end of the love theme. That's kind of ... outrageous... I demand a re-recording!

Yes you are, all that is left of this score is a LP I believe. 

And some of the tracks are supposed to have been recorded for the album, apparently a re-recording would have to use by ear transcriptions as the sheet music is lost.

He did not. Only the theme, overture, to Thorfield, Reunion and Restoration

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

JW's handwritten original for Jaws is gone... Now that's really sad.

It's possible he is referring to the cues written for the album.

6 hours ago, Fal said:

It's possible he is referring to the cues written for the album.

Yes considering Joel McNeely conducted the complete re-recording for Varese I would assume that the actual stuff for Jaws is intact in some form or another.

Williams also gave The Shark Cage Fugue quite a bit of embellishment for his concert version and I am assuming that since this interview is from 1990 that he is referring to the one found on the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration recorded around that time.

• 4 years later...

I bought this album when LLL released it, but only took the shrinkwrap off and actually played it the other week.  Wow, what a gem!  It wasn't my first time ever hearing the score; I had played it digitally a few times back in the day.  But I hadn't played it in so long, this listen was very eye-opening (ear-opening?), making me realize I've been neglecting a real winner that should be part of my regular rotation.  No doubt I'll be giving it more frequent listens from now on!  

The album is very nicely assembled!  I've never seen the movie and I have no idea how much unreleased music there is or what it sounds like, so I'm not talking about it being a good assembly from that perspective - I just mean what is here flows very well and never gets repetitive or boring in the slightest.  The 33 1/2 minutes just flies by!

The art design by Jim Titus for the LLL edition is up to his usual standards, which came as no surprise.  Flipping through the booklet just made the whole thing feel so classy!  Jeff Eldridge's liner notes were also up to his usual standards, meaning I learned a lot about the film and its score and really enjoyed reading them.   I liked reading about the Delbert Mann/Williams connection (Fitzwilly, Heidi, almost David Copperfield, then this) and how work on this score overlapped with Fiddler on the Roof.  An especially nice part of the booklet was a section at the end talking about each of the 11 tracks, with notes from the original LP included with each one. (the LP's entire liner notes are included here as well as Eldridge's new notes).

Cool score I'm glad I found again, and here's hoping master elements for the unreleased music turn up some day

The movie is not worth your time. Among other things, people speak, in a very weird, way, in, the beginning, of the story. I doubt there is much unreleased music, but I did miss a source cue that JW was never going to include anyway. I think everything I wanted was on it other than that one, but what I really want will never ever happen: a re-recording of Across the Moors.

Well, I have a goal to see every movie JW scored, so I'll see it eventually.  Usually the first time I watch any movie I'm not paying attention to released vs unreleased music, but maybe after I see it I'll go in an analyze it, unless there already exists a list of music in the film somewhere