James Newton Howard - Snow White and the Huntsman

Jay

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some genuine moments of beauty in those samples, but the action material sounds terribly mundane and RC like...

I'm quite disappointed, I was expecting a glorious fantasy score.

I'm on track three, nothing spectacular yet. same ol same ol.....want to direct me to a specific track?

ok, 5 was all right until the choir started.

I'm liking the groove of number 6 a lot. But then again, it starts and finishes very cliche...... no. 9 is ok.....

ok, well 'gone' is pretty cool but i teach chorus so that's why I'm liking it.....always thinking about my singers

12, good

the ending of 15 is good

This is the perfect way to let people preview a score - more should do this.

First track... pretty good actually! The theme feels a little bit unsatisfying (just realised: the second half is basically HGW's Aslan theme)... but at least there is one. And the piano part is pure JNH. It feels very modern, but melodically modern, and that's a good start.

There are some genuine moments of beauty in those samples, but the action material sounds terribly mundane and RC like...

I'm quite disappointed, I was expecting a glorious fantasy score.

I wasn't expecting anything glorious - JNH's friendship with Zimmer has damaged his music lately.

Tracks 6 and 13 could have been in the latest Transformers score and I wouldn't have told the difference. Seems similar to Defiance - really nice dramatic scoring, but action scoring that Zimmer does in his sleep.

Track 8 is good. I really think he's at his best with purely dramatic moments (which is basically what the whole of Water for Elephants is, and I think that score rocks).

Doesn't have that instant hook that makes me want to rush out and buy it though. Plus, I can hear Defiance and The Water Horse all over it.

It's as expected for a high-profile dumb summer flick, meaning the more romantic and quiet parts are simple but beautifully written in good THE VILLAGE/THE HAPPENING style - but beware anything over 80db - it sounds as if Steve Jablonsky has taken over: overloud brand-X percussion, depressingly mundane horn lines on top and aggressive electronic backing. I have the faint suspicion JNH farms stuff like this out to assistents - it's really that non-descript and undistinguishable from the usual RCP library stuff.

I'm not sure listening to mockups and samples of a score is the best way to preview it. You are not hearing it in the true sound and mix and totally outside of its created purpose, which is to support the film. Your mind is left to fill in the blanks too much, which is a disservice to the composer.

JNH seems to be borrowing several pages from the How to score a modern summer blockbuster guide with this soundtrack since it has a definite Hans Zimmer vibe going on through most of the music not just the action material even though it is pretty darn strong there. I have said it sometimes before but JNH's sound can be terribly anonymous when he wants or needs to be, here a case in point, where his own melodic and stylistic sensiblities just don't come through all that strongly, only in a few moments of calm and lyricism (and woodwinds, heavens forbid!) does the composer's gift rear its head. It sounds like music by a formula, perfectly executed to fit that formula I give you that but it sounds so souless. I am sure this will be definition of cool to some folk but to me it sounds empty and weary. There is a lot of meandering going on and when the music gets to a point it bludgeons you on the head with synth stingers and drums and unisono horn blasts. Sadly word generic comes to mind. It sounds like JNH was doing his job but not much else but hey that's the most important function of a score in a film.

3 stars, perhaps 3½ after closer examination.

JNH seems to be borrowing several pages from the How to score a modern summer blockbuster guide with this soundtrack since it has a definite Hans Zimmer vibe going on through most of the music not just the action material even though it is pretty darn strong there. I have said it sometimes before but JNH's sound can be terribly anonymous when he wants or needs to be, here a case in point, where his own melodic and stylistic sensiblities just don't come through all that strongly, only in a few moments of calm and lyricism (and woodwinds, heavens forbid!) does the composer's gift rear its head. It sounds like music by a formula, perfectly executed to fit that formula I give you that but it sounds so souless. I am sure this will be definition of cool to some folk but to me it sounds empty and weary. There is a lot of meandering going on and when the music gets to a point it bludgeons you on the head with synth stingers and drums and unisono horn blasts. Sadly word generic comes to mind. It sounds like JNH was doing his job but not much else but hey that's the most important function of a score in a film.

3 stars, perhaps 3½ after closer examination.

Ditto. Nice post

3½ out of 5 if I am merciful and in good humor. More of a 3 really.

It sounds like JNH was doing his job but not much else but hey that's the most important function of a score in a film.

Suffer the Whips Of Doom!

:fouetaa: :fouetaa: :fouetaa: :fouetaa: :fouetaa:

Thank you I am quite enjoying those. Anything labeled with Doom floats my boat. And do you honestly think I didn't mean that as a jab at the modern film scoring mediocrity? Honestly BloodBoal you are slipping these days. Sift the sarcasm with more care from the posts.

James Newton Howard is a fine composer who never clicked with me, kinda like Giachino.

I dunno, do you think Gia is capable of a Hand of Fate, or a King Kong?

I'm not sure listening to mockups and samples of a score is the best way to preview it. You are not hearing it in the true sound and mix and totally outside of its created purpose, which is to support the film. Your mind is left to fill in the blanks too much, which is a disservice to the composer.

A link to (legally) stream the album was posted 5 posts before yours

• 2 weeks later...

The score plays much better in the film. I was honestly surprised... I wasn't expecting much after listening to the samples. And Florence and the Machine's song (arranged by JNH) is wonderful, especially set against the end credit sequence.

I might have to buy the soundtrack now...

James Newton Howard is a fine composer who never clicked with me, kinda like Giachino.

I dunno, do you think Gia is capable of a Hand of Fate, or a King Kong?

He's already written better stuff, which is not meant to discredit Howard. Signs is one of the my favorite scores period.

Listened to the whole album, and it's just really unremarkable to me. Part of the problem is the action material - no holds-barred RCP, but also, the dramatic material lacks heart for me - feels generic, like it could go in any film.

Honestly... when I'm enjoying a horror score (The Cabin in the Woods) more than an epic fantasy score, there's something wrong with what directors are asking for.

Well, judged by the samples I can hardly wait to buy it... may actually go to Saturn (our version of Bestbuy) and see if they have it tonight. I love the opening cue...

Funny how different taste can be. While most here didn't seem to like this score much it is the one that resonates most with me so far this year. I can't get enough of the first half of the first track in particular, but I enjoy much of the rest as well. I also thought it worked well in the movie.