Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek The Motion Picture - 2012 La La Land 3CD (and now: 2LP)

Jay

• 2 months later...

Only after a good handful of complete listens did I notice the film take of The Enterprise actually still has an almost complete statement of the earlier version of the main theme.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Unless Intrada decides to pick up and do another limited pressing 5 years later. This is such a great legendary title. I think it should be in print forever!

• 3 weeks later...

Possibly [One of] the most self-indulgently exhaustive specialty label score releases ever? I'm glad to have it, RIP.

2 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

Now 10,000 people have a copy.

I have two, picked one a few weeks ago. 

11 minutes ago, Amer said:

I have two, picked one a few weeks ago. 

Then you can hear it in stereo!

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Nuts, was going to order this tonight. D'oh!

Then it wasn't meant to be.

Does any one know the name of the instrument that makes the dissonant noises at 5:49 - 6:00

Is it just the strings?

That part has always been so amazing to me.

Some fun behind the scenes stories about working on this and other Star Trek releases for LLL, FSM, and Intrada, here for your listening pleasure in the latest Goldsmith Odyssey Interview:

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/3978677-odyssey-interviews-neil-s-bulk-part-1
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/3978893-odyssey-interviews-neil-s-bulk-part-2

odyssey_interviews_neil_s_bulk.jpg

Yavar

• 4 weeks later...

Posted by Bruse Koski on Facebook. “Here are higher-res images of art created by Jim Titus as an alternate cover for the La-La Land vinyl release of Star Trek–The Motion Picture soundtrack. He also did the release version art. Note the second image of the Enterprise isolated. Art unused due to likeness permissions and restrictions, etc.
“Art by Jim Titus for La-La Land Records.”

tmp1.jpg

tmp2.jpg

• 1 year later...

Just bringing this thread up as I've just seen there was a copy available at Music Box Records. It's a bit expensive but the set is truly wonderful so if anyone is interested here you go:

https://www.musicbox-records.com/fr/cd-musiques-de-films/426-star-trek-the-motion-picture.html

On 7/16/2021 at 4:59 PM, Jay said:

It's kinda crazy to me this 3CD set is OOP.  A masterpiece of motion picture scoring that deserves to be in print forever.

I thought maybe we'd get a reissue in 2019 for its 40 anniversary w/ that extra cue from the 50th anniversary box set added in or something.

Maybe the new director's edition remaster coming to Paramount+ will lead to a reissue of this music set?

10,000 units is quite a bit to start with. But yeah, both this and the Wrath of Khan should always be in print.

Given the flow of Goldsmith releases and re-issues maybe it’s in the pipeline to get a re-issue. Maybe Intrada can jump on it like they did STV.

16 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Do you often get that question?

I actually do. And if there ever is such a presentation and I go to buy it I'm sure I'll get that question from my wife. (I suppose I could answer "Because Superman is winning!")

I'm still really bummed I missed this set. Every time the topic gets bumped, I get my hopes up that LLL have announced a new batch of stock. Even a smaller quantity like 1500 would be glorious!

Unless printing more than 10,000 copies creates issues with the AFM or something?

14 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You don't need more than 1500 copies?

Only to hoard and flog off on eBay for the next decade or two.

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'm still really bummed I missed this set. Every time the topic gets bumped, I get my hopes up that LLL have announced a new batch of stock. Even a smaller quantity like 1500 would be glorious!

It is astonishing to me that I can't go down the road any time I want and walk into Harry's and hold my head up high, and say in a loud steady voice: 'Harry I want you to sell me a Star Trek: The Motion Picture on three compact discs!"

I’m not sure but I think MV Gerhard is looking to bring this back in print as he may have answered to a question at the FSM Board.

• 4 weeks later...

Look what I found. Mike Matessino at Room 7116. Circa, 2010

I remember walking in this hallway to room 7116 and meeting Johnny DeDavis with Lukas Kendall!! 

FB_IMG_1628924279866.jpg

FB_IMG_1628924282901.jpg