Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek The Motion Picture - 2012 La La Land 3CD (and now: 2LP)

Jay

I think this is a score that really cries out to be listened to on a very good hi-fi system, with speakers blasting out loud (or, if you don't wanna scare your neighbors, with a good set of earphones). From what I gather, the LLL release sounds fantastic, hence it doesn't make sense to listen to it with crap computer speakers or lame portable earbuds. It would be like watching Lawrence of Arabia on a 13 inches monitor.

I think this is a score that really cries out to be listened to on a very good hi-fi system, with speakers blasting out loud (or, if you don't wanna scare your neighbors, with a good set of earphones). From what I gather, the LLL release sounds fantastic, hence it doesn't make sense to listen to it with crap computer speakers or lame portable earbuds. It would be like watching Lawrence of Arabia on a 13 inches monitor.

Yup...I had my AKG K702...a nice amp....all lights out....wife thrown out of the room....etc. etc. Really wonderful night. ;) Though now she wants to try it out. So I'm the kicked out of my own office at home for one night.

Shoulda just done it on a sound system instead of high quality headphones...then we could romantically listen together ;). But I get a tad more detail out of the headphones and that's more important. :D

How are you just hearing about the spine typo for the first time today? It's been mentioned on every forum repeatedly since the movie screening

I haven't been on the MB much at all this week.

You mind?

I sensed a disturbance in the force...by your absence.

It definitely has the best chance to! Quite an achievement, especially considering the $35 price tag.

I intercept the mailman in the hallway on my way out today . I asked if he had anything for me and he says no. I come back and see a "delivery notice" to fetch a parcel at he post office tomorrow .

:angry:

well even KM knows that there are only a handful of JW scores that are a match for this score.

OMG what nightmares. Such a terrible film, and it never ends.

OMG what nightmares. Such a terrible film, and it never ends.

When I was young I read the book and later found the film extremely disappointing and lacking in atmosphere. To me it didn't have that particular personality the book had. They'd turned the story boring. How's that possible? And I found it visually inferior to my own imaginings when I read the book.

How someone can prefer that to the gorgeous achievement that is E.T. is beyond me! With that music, that photography, that direction, these actors, that even better and tear inducing and inspiring story, that painting of childhood in 115 minutes! Please!

Listening to the '79 film takes after having gotten used to the '99 CD... yeah, I still like the alternate takes better (certainly for the Overture, with that piano passage... my god!).

That's my single complaint about this set, I wish they'd remixed the album program from the multitrack. You can hear the difference between the two... oh well. The rest of it's spectacular, LLL and all involved should be proud.

This new release sounds great. Indysolo's soundediting is superb!

It was edited by Mike Matessino, not Neil. Neil was just a production assistant on this one.

How someone can prefer that to the gorgeous achievement that is E.T. is beyond me! With that music, that photography, that direction, these actors, that even better and tear inducing and inspiring story, that painting of childhood in 115 minutes! Please!

I said RIGHT NOW. Return to the conversation when you can start thinking fourth dimensionally k thanks bye.

No, the first one was a classic. I'd rather watch it right now than E.T.

really Morlock?

I'm sorry my reference didn't work with you. Never mind.

I wonder what I will have to pay in customs... I also ordered Galaxy Quest, so they'll definitely ask for money...

I said RIGHT NOW. Return to the conversation when you can start thinking fourth dimensionally k thanks bye.

Oh, you've enlightened me!

Mine arrived today. My God it sounds absolutely glorious! So many details and nuances that I've never heard before. Goldsmith's finest work has been given new life. La-La Land have really knocked this one out of the park! :)

Does this set have the Inside Star Trek conversation disc? I lost mine and was hoping for a remastered upgrade!

You're repeating yourself

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21739&st=320&p=817244entry817244

I wouldn't dream of getting rid of the Sony Anniversary set. It cost about $30 brand new, and it's less than $20 now new. It's worth, what, $5 used?

Well, I'm certainly keeping the 20th Anniversary set.

- It was signed by Jerry Goldsmith

- Inside Star Trek

In terms of the score itself, there's no reason to keep it, but the above factors play into things. :)

I haven't heard enough support to purchase this release.

Is this good album if I'm no trekkie?

Should this one be the first Jerry Goldsmith album for me?

Is there any decent music besides the brilliant main theme?

How is this music doing comparing to Williams' best scores?

Many questions. Many mysteries.

Wow, a Goldsmith/Star Trek TMP virgin?!

You should go on youtube and listen to "The Enterprise" and "Ilia's Theme" to get an idea of some other high points. But be warned, the latter half of the score is a bit more avant guarde. Check out "The Cloud" or "Vejur Flyover" to get an idea for that. Oh, and don't forget to sample the wonderful "Klingon Battle".

Quite honestly, I can't get into "The Cloud" and even parts of "Vejur Flyover", yet I find some of the other V'Ger oriented material more compelling, such as Force Field. The Starfleet themed material from Act 1 is the clear winner for those of us with a bias towards the more romantic classical sound.

Anyone else here a little bored by stuff like "The Cloud"?

Is this good album if I'm no trekkie?

Yes! (And why shouldn't it be... it's about the music, after all)

Should this one be the first Jerry Goldsmith album for me?

No. You should have tons already. But it's certainly a great place to start now.

Is there any decent music besides the brilliant main theme?

Absolutely.

How is this music doing comparing to Williams' best scores?

Goldsmith's best scores are in the same league as Williams' best. This is one of his very, very best, and it's more Romantic in sound than most of his output, ergo closer to Williams' blockbuster scores (but still distinctly Goldsmith).

Though of course: There is no comparison.

Quite honestly, I can't get into "The Cloud" and even parts of "Vejur Flyover"

They're among my favourite cues.

Anyone else here a little bored by stuff like "The Cloud"?

I agree with Marian. That section of the soundtrack is among my favorites.

It's slow and meandering but so rich with so much going on. It takes some listening to really begin to understand and appreciate it all. At some point when you fully understand and appreciate you can listen to The Cloud and get a different experience depending on what you choose to focus on. Same for the other V'Ger tracks.

It's an, and I think the word is appropriate here, epic experience. There are parts of just "The Cloud" where the instruments reach so low you think the music is from Hell itself. At the same time strings are reaching towards the heavens and the hypnotic piano grounds the whole piece, with flurries of texture and notes everywhere else.

And it all comes together into this magnificent whole.

And as you grasp the music, you can zoom in and out of the different layers. So don't give up on it.

I do recommend some good sound equipment be they higher-end headphones or stereos to truly hear everything that is going on and to really feel the ever shifting textures.

The last third of this score is one that you can just lose yourself in. As an album experience it works magnificently. I couldn't tell you where the last few tracks start and end, but as an entire score it is very distinct. And this is based entirely on the OST and the expanded version - I haven't yet decided if I want to get LLL's version.

Get it...if not for the new tracks then the sound quality is worth it. The only complaint I have is that the "beefing up" of the sound has made the snare drums sound a bit synthy....but the effect on the rest of the orchestra is pleasant enough to make it ignorable.