Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek The Motion Picture - 2012 La La Land 3CD (and now: 2LP)

Jay

You missed my point. I agree those are the reasons people went to see it. I'm saying once sitting there in the theater, the movie would have been unbearable without a good score. There are long stretches where nothing happens

Ok, as long as you realize that "flopped" was the wrong word. If 139 million people pay a dollar to see a movie, stay for five minutes, and walk out because it's unbearable, spitting on the usher as they leave, the movie still made $139M (notwithstanding percentages, etc.).

Sadly, movies don't get awesome reviews just because they have super duper scores; people still look back on Cutthroat Island and Star Trek V and will look back on John Carter as abysmal failures, while we film score nerds know better.

At any rate, it's been 21 days since I placed my order, and my TMP still hasn't emerged from the black hole that is SAE's shipping department.

Star Trek TMP had a set audience that was going to see it no matter what, that makes up the opening weekend and some of the next week or 2. If the film was really bad it drops off really quick after opening weekend, the better it is the longer it stays and the more money it makes.

But yes, I did mean more flopping critically than financially

Again, TMP is a great film. Heavily flawed, but still great. Why, you ask? Because unlike any of the other ST film, it is a true and classic science fiction. And the score is a true S-F score. All the other ST films are rather typical action adventures. That's what makes the first film unique. And I like the childlike wonder and charm with which it introduces these, potentially more abstract and hard S-F, concepts. Quite unlike Prometheus.

Karol

I wish I were as thoroughly captivated by this score as many people are. :( I mean, I think it's fantastic and innovative and effective and whatnot, and I was delighted to buy La-La Land's perfect release of it, but I still get the impression that many people are sucked even more deeply into this sonic world that Goldsmith crafted. It's like...I can hear what makes it so great, and I enjoy it plenty, but some strange part of my brain prevents me from being as fully blown away as I probably should be. Oh well... =/

I think it's good but far from Goldsmith's best.

It's Goldsmith's finest achievement ever. Everything before led up to this and everything after was not quite as good.

Nay, my friend, 'tis one of music's finest achievements ever.

Datameister, you should try Joey's darkroom experiment. Turn out all the lights and distractions, put on/turn on your best sound equipment, and just the let the music carry you. You might even find yourself falling asleep, it's what your brain does naturally when it's dark and all but one sense are firing. But even that can be one of the incredible parts of this "experiment," because if you fade back to consciousness as the music is still playing, it's a rather surreal experience.

I wish I were as thoroughly captivated by this score as many people are. :( I mean, I think it's fantastic and innovative and effective and whatnot, and I was delighted to buy La-La Land's perfect release of it, but I still get the impression that many people are sucked even more deeply into this sonic world that Goldsmith crafted. It's like...I can hear what makes it so great, and I enjoy it plenty, but some strange part of my brain prevents me from being as fully blown away as I probably should be. Oh well... =/

It's Goldsmith's finest achievement ever. Everything before led up to this and everything after was not quite as good.

I'd happily have my mind changed once I get this set. I only listened to the old expansion a few times, and I've never listened to the boot nor seen the film. It never grabbed me as much as his scores like Under Fire and The Edge.

those two scores don't hold a candle to STTMP and if you think they do well you're probably a zimmer fan.

when you talk about boxoffice of a film from 1979 you cannot equate it with anything from the 21st century. Films then did not typically explode there first weekend then fall off the rest at a 50% rate. It was much different back then. Films had a slower burn than they do now.

According to boxoffice mojo the films budget was 35 million. It's domestic gross was 82+ million.

The film opened in 857 theatres, it dropped 39.5% the second week but increased the next which was the week of Christmas.

All in all it did well for a G rated film.

What's it take to hold a candle, really? Two fingers and standing in such a way to keep the fire from catching your shirt on fire? The Edge most certainly does hold a candle to TMP.

I could see a better case for under fire but not the edge. if the edge holds a candle to STTMP it's so dim that most cannot see it.

I'm giving less of a shit about these most than me, to be bluntfully honest.

in engrish prease

so I take it you're a big fan of the Edge.

Never seen the film and only heard the score. I have no ideal how it works with the movie.

I'd happily have my mind changed once I get this set. I only listened to the old expansion a few times, and I've never listened to the boot nor seen the film. It never grabbed me as much as his scores like Under Fire and The Edge.

those two scores don't hold a candle to STTMP and if you think they do well you're probably a zimmer fan.

when you talk about boxoffice of a film from 1979 you cannot equate it with anything from the 21st century. Films then did not typically explode there first weekend then fall off the rest at a 50% rate. It was much different back then. Films had a slower burn than they do now.

According to boxoffice mojo the films budget was 35 million. It's domestic gross was 82+ million.

The film opened in 857 theatres, it dropped 39.5% the second week but increased the next which was the week of Christmas.

Since when did BO figures say absolutely anything about the quality of the score?

And equating fandom of The Edge over ST:TMP to being 'probably a Zimmer fan'? That's a new one from you. Are there any more insults you'd like to hand out to those who worship the same stuff you do?

The Edge means so much to me personally as a score in a way that Star Trek never will. Does it mean it has better music? Honestly, who the hell can say....

Since when did BO figures say absolutely anything about the quality of the score?

And equating fandom of The Edge over ST:TMP to being 'probably a Zimmer fan'? That's a new one from you. Are there any more insults you'd like to hand out to those who worship the same stuff you do?

The Edge means so much to me personally as a score in a way that Star Trek never will. Does it mean it has better music? Honestly, who the hell can say....

cry me a river, it was joke

glad you like the edge

no one said anything about the box office success having anything to do with the quality of the score, the entire comment was about how boxoffice was different in that time than now.

I have a question: Does Spock Walk (album version) on your disc 2 also has this clipping sound at around 0:46-0:48?

Other than that, fantastic set! I've listened to it several times. All the extras are great too, especially the session recordings and synths only tracks. Pop versions are a curiosity. Never heard that before.

Karol

glad you like the edge

no one said anything about the box office success having anything to do with the quality of the score, the entire comment was about how boxoffice was different in that time than now.

Yeah I know it was a joke - I just wish you wouldn't bring your clear hatred for Zimmer into any debate for which you don't actually have a real argument other than "score X is crap".

Joey's contributions to the MB: insulting posters that disagree with him, bragging about how old he is, and trashing Hans Zimmer and the SW prequels.

For the most part that's all he does lately, yep. Like a broken record.

The most interesting posts from him lately have been in Other Topics, like talking about the food he's making. I dunno what happened to the old Joey.

Joey's contributions to the MB: insulting posters that disagree with him, bragging about how old he is, and trashing Hans Zimmer and the SW prequels.

Bingo!

I don't brag how old I am. I find your contributions unintersting, sorry if that's an insult but that is

glad you like the edge

Yeah I know it was a joke - I just wish you wouldn't bring your clear hatred for Zimmer into any debate for which you don't actually have a real argument other than "score X is crap".

I really don't give one fk what you think, or indy4, not even Jason. Vosk too, though I do thank him for the heads up about this score. Zimmer is crap, deal with it. Star Trek 2009 is pure mediocrity. Sadly this place has become more of a zimmer and giacchino love site than a JW site.

when any of you turn out to be interesting as say Quint, Alex, or Stefan, well that would be awesome

what I said about the boxoffice I guarantee you didn't have a clue about. Sorry if that's bragging about my age indy 4 but the John Williams is old too, and that picture on the front page says he's looking pretty bad. And that's sad. Have a good day girlz

one last thin richinuk you can put me on ignore like Jason did. that way you don't have to read my stuff, it's not for you anyways.

John Williams is old too, and that picture on the front page says he's looking pretty bad. And that's sad.

I thought the same thing when I saw it earlier today. That's not a very good photo of him. I hope he is well.

JW looked better in some other pictures we saw him this year. He also looked din shape conducting Fanfare for Fenway

He's been looking old since 2002 in some pics

Perhaps it's time I bring back the Just When You Think It's Safe To Go Back In the Water avatar. then.

I flipped a coin between whose to mooch. Kira Nerys, Jaws 2, or Indysolo's, and I realized I couldn't find the latter, and the shark was overdone.

So I got the LLL set on Monday and finally got the chance to listen to the first 2 discs today. I have to be honest, this score never really clicked for me before.

That is until now. I don't know if it's the improved sound quality, or the fact that I spent $40 on it, but wow. It's true, there really is no comparison!

Isn't the End Title on disc 2 (1979 album version) the same as the Sony disc?

I believe it is. I think it's a different take for the end credits in the movie, and on the complete score presentation. Don't quote me on that though. :)

Really? Could you quantify how much less you could care? Is it a lot or a little? Because if you couldn't care less, then you'd have something.

we've played this song and dance before.

We've gone through every song and dance at this message board. Some of us could care less about proper English, and some clearly couldn't. The funny part is how totally over his head it went.

The electronic chime sounds are buried in the mix. I kinda miss them, but I'm getting used to this new master.

Are we talking about "Leaving Drydock"? The electronic chimes are plain as day in the album mix on Disc 2 but they're buried on Disc 1 as if Botnick forgot they were there.

Yeah, I know what you mean about Drydock (and I miss that too, it was an interesting touch); alas, I was talking about the End Title cue. Listen to the Sony track (or the DE end credits... not sure about the Theatrical), you can hear em.

Only about the electronics. I never paid attention it when I was hearing the End Credits before.

Well I like them, It's what make the STTMP credits sound unique compared to later recordings

Now I have to check Leaving Drydock

The electronic "wail/call" sound (I dunno how to classify it) is barely audible in the new mix, in a perfect world Botnick would've mixed it a hair or two louder.

But eh, I'm not complaining.

And I'm usually the first to complain about electronics in Goldsmith's 80's scores. I dunno, here they kind of fit

In most other score I wish he didn't use them at all