Favorite Villain Themes?

wanner251

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Government motif from Close Encounters.

The Emperor's Theme

The Emperor's Theme

Imperial March

The Ringwraith/Nazgul Theme

The dark Motif in for example the "Commandos Arrive" track at 0:50 (from Black Sunday)

Keys from E.T., T-1000 from T2, Harry and Marv from Home Alone, Jaws and villains from Superman II spring to mind first.

The Government motif from Close Encounters.

That theme is badass.

I love its close cousin, in Jaws 2 "The Big Jolt!"

Molar ram is nice.

Molar ram? Makes a root canal sound like a walk in the park.

Imperial March

Unfortunately the ultimate revelation of the saga is that the Imperial March is not a villain theme at all. The theme represents the Chosen One, who the prophecy foretells will bring balance to the Force, and is thus the ultimate hero of the entire saga when he vanquishes the evil Emperor.

ROTFLMAO

Molar ram is nice.

Molar ram? Makes a root canal sound like a walk in the park.

Imperial March

Unfortunately the ultimate revelation of the saga is that the Imperial March is not a villain theme at all. The theme represents the Chosen One, who the prophecy foretells will bring balance to the Force, and is thus the ultimate hero of the entire saga when he vanquishes the evil Emperor.

ROTFLMAO

Nope, it represents the march of the Empire.

Someday you will learn that the ROTFLMAO means the previous comment was so full of bullshit I couldn't keep myself from falling to the floor laughing.

That day has not yet come.

March of the Villians, I like the whimsical take of it.

Clown Dream from Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

My sister runs screaming from the room when I play this.

Wow, i didn't knew who the composer was, and i guessed it was Danny Elfman. And i'm right.

I'm awesome.

Someday you will learn that the ROTFLMAO means the previous comment was so full of bullshit I couldn't keep myself from falling to the floor laughing.

That day has not yet come.

I realized that after i had posted. And an empty post is worse than a reply on bullshit that contains bullshit, isn't it?

Voldemort's theme (all of them :P )

All the Villain themes from the Spider-Man trilogy

Joker's theme

Ras' al Ghul theme

Darth Vader's

The Raptor theme from JP

The Emperors theme

Captain Hook's theme (Hook)

Switchblade Sam from Dennis the menace

Harvey Dent/Two-Face

Jaws

Mola Ram

Which Nazi Theme?

The Federation Droids. Awesome, fun and almost entirely forgotten.

The Predator (Silverstri) has a couple of great broody motifs, too. They feel very primal and ritualistic, as bad guy themes go. Easy to overlook, but superb examples nonetheless.

The Federation Droids. Awesome, fun and almost entirely forgotten.

Oh shit, that was stuck in my head for years...

And it fits straight into the amazing soundscape of that score.

ooh, what about Dracula Wojciech Kilar version.. Man, personally I think one of the most overlooked and best scores / Theme's out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB92kcrwBo4

And this:

If we talk about JW only, I would say:

- Imperial March

- Nuclear Man Theme

- Dracula Main Title

- The Chamber of Secrets

- The Droid Battle

And this:

Well another demonstrate that Williams is a light year ahead of dramatic action writing comparing to these other guys.

But I really like the love theme of this score. The action writing is always very demanding.

Can I have a link and and times to Key's Theme from E.T and The Government theme from Close Encounters ? :D

Is Mola Ram's theme that chanting that plays in "The Temple of Doom" (the actual track title) and in Broken Bridge?

While I love the Nazi March in TLC, I like the Nazi motif from the Raiders. It's vaguely militaristic and kind of weird to me, but I like it. And it sounds so much like the Empire motif from ANH.

I love Dovchenko's theme from KOCS and the treatment it gets in "Ants".

I like the Two-Face motif from Batman Forever, which Goldenthal reprised as Mr. Freeze's motif in Batman & Robin with some more operatic touches. It was more or less Goldenthal's general villain theme and I think it was the strongest villain music in the series. I wonder if it would have been brought back if Schumacher got to make Batman Triumphant?

Is Mola Ram's theme that chanting that plays in "The Temple of Doom" (the actual track title) and in Broken Bridge?

I believe "the temple of doom", which also appears on the broken bridge, is kind of the sacrifice, or 'kali-ma' theme. The actual Mola Ram theme is the 4 note motif heard during the beginning of the Mine Car Chase, and also a few times during the Broken Bridge.

Both are great.

Mola Ram's Theme at 0:11

I believe "the temple of doom", which also appears on the broken bridge, is kind of the sacrifice, or 'kali-ma' theme. The actual Mola Ram theme is the 4 note motif heard during the beginning of the Mine Car Chase, and also a few times during the Broken Bridge.

Both are great.

Mola Ram's Theme at 0:11

Is there any more examples? Time for broken bridge please? :D

I like muntz's theme from up! I think it has an interesting development as it starts off all fun, warm and happy in 'up with titles' and then becomes darker and darker as the story progresses. 'seizing the spirit of adventure' is an interesting track where it clashes with ellie's theme :)

I'm going to say some that people have yet to mention.

Basil Poledouris' "Riders of Doom" theme from Conan the Barbarian, which is up there with Williams' "Imperial March", imo.

Jerry Goldsmith's "Richter" theme from Total Recall

Jerry Goldsmith's "Bear" theme from The Edge

Jerry Goldsmith's "Cash theme" from Exrtreme Prejudice

Jerry Goldsmith's "Alien" theme from Alien

Jerry Goldsmith's theme for the Russian enemy in Rambo: First Blood Part II

Danny Elfman's "Penguin theme" and "Catwoman theme" from Batman Returns

Danny Elfman's "Red Dragon Theme" from Red Dragon

Danny Elfman's "Headless Horseman theme" from Sleepy Hollow

Leonard Rosenman's "RoboCain theme" from Robocop 2

Various villain themes from Shirley Walker's B:TAS and The Flash series.

Shirley Walker's "Phantasm theme" from B:MOTP.

Michael Giachinno's "Syndrome theme" from The Incredibles

Marco Beltrami's "Rasputin theme" from Hellboy.

Bruce Broughton's "Dracula theme" from The Monster Squad

Bruce Broughton's "Smith's theme" from Lost In Space

John Powell's "Dark Phoenix theme" from X3.

John Ottman's "Lex Luthor Theme" from Superman Returns.

That's off the top of my head.

I like muntz's theme from up! I think it has an interesting development as it starts off all fun, warm and happy in 'up with titles' and then becomes darker and darker as the story progresses. 'seizing the spirit of adventure' is an interesting track where it clashes with ellie's theme :)

I prefer the "Evil of Muntz" motif, or the piratey motif that appears in the beggining of "Seizing the Spirit of Adventure" or "Geriatric Dogfight"

Is there any more examples? Time for broken bridge please? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1cfX4c4kR4

At 0:54 and 1:41.

Ah thank you! I was reading in the score analysis that there this is the refrain; is there availability of the hearing the full statement of the theme (without watching the movie)?

And is Syndrome's theme (from Incredibles) the motif heard in "Kronos Unveiled"?

Ah thank you! I was reading in the score analysis that there this is the refrain; is there availability of the hearing the full statement of the theme (without watching the movie)?

Actually not that I'm aware of, even in the total film score, the theme never really comes out in full form like other villain themes (Vadar, Home Alone, Lex Luthor, etc.) It's short and sweet, and that's it.

How about the statement in "The Scroll/To Pankot Palace" at 01:50?

Yeah, that's true. There are some nice, big statements of that motif there also. (I really love how it builds with the percussion at 2:57 of the OST) It kind of hinges off the Palace theme though during this cue, so to me, i don't really think of it as a statement of Mola Ram's theme.

my favorite statement of the theme is in the unreleased cue "The Evil Potion" it appears right before the slave children motif.

my favorite statement of the theme is in the unreleased cue "The Evil Potion" it appears right before the slave children motif.

That is nice. I also just noticed there's a nice subtle statement during "Short Round Escapes" @ 0:41.

It is very different, in terms of form. And superior. It's actually a brilliantly sultry and moody piece, along the lines of Goldsmith's Basic Instinct.