This is really becoming a bad year for musicians. RIP Robin Gibb

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.

In other hopes, let's hope it's not a bad year for Williams

I hate to say it, but that very thought did cross my mind.

Williams is a persistent old fuck.

we listened to How Do You Mend A Broken Heart..

The Bee Gees love them or hate them have the most unique sound of any pop group.

Yesterday Cliff Richard said they, their songs legacy, were on par with The Beatles. He was right.

But I don't think they helped shape pop music the way The Beatles did.

I love their venturing into the disco genre the most.

Yesterday Cliff Richard said they, their songs legacy, were on par with The Beatles. He was right.

But I don't think they helped shape pop music the way The Beatles did.

I disagree.

That's because you know very little of pop music ... or you simply like to disagree with me. But saying The Bee Gees influenced as many bands as The Beatles did is very naive. They had a lot of success but they did very little to shape the pop landscape. If you were a little more knowledgeable you would know that throughout the decades all the big bands mention The Beatles as an important influence.

You may disagree (I know you want to) on whether their disco period was their creative high point or not but that's about it.

Alex

That's because you know very little of pop music ... or you simply like to disagree with me. But saying The Bee Gees influenced as many bands as The Beatles did is very naive. They had a lot of success but they did very little to shape the pop landscape. If you were a little more knowledgeable you would know that throughout the decades all the big bands mention The Beatles as an important influence.

You may disagree (I know you want to) on whether their disco period was their creative high point or not but that's about it.

Alex

Huh? You've read far too much into it, Alex. It's a very straightforward disagreement on my part. It's throwaway, I don't want a debate with you about pop music, sorry. And there's certainly no desire to be contrary for the sake of it, I assure you of that. But this is somewhat interesting in another regard - that you think there's an agenda when people happen (or dare) to disagree with you. Today you point the finger at me, other times it's someone else - Chaac, for eg.

Do you have a complex? Do you find it difficult to deal with alternative points of view?

"They were on a par with The Beatles"?! Someone's been jive talkin'.

Maybe, but I think a monumental fool would call Cliff Richard naive where pop music is concerned. One may as well say John Williams doesn't know the first thing about film music.

Really? Have you no respect for the dead?

You've learned much in one week since poking fun at a football-related suicide. I'm proud of you.

It was expected, but still...sorry to hear that.

The Bee Gees were very influential not only in the disco genre, but pop music in general - the harmonies, the slick beats, the melodic immediacy.

Indeed. They were around (and had hits) long before the disco era.

I can only assume that Alexcremers knows as much about pop music and the Bee Gees as he does Gerry Rafferty.

Okay, I'm tired of this. Shall we do a contest, Quint and Thor and anyone who thinks The BeeGees are more infuential and more important to pop music than The Beatles?

We look for bands that say The Beatles or The Bee Gees were an important influence. He who can find the most bands or people is the winner.

Only at JWfan!