James Horner - The Amazing Spider-man

Jay

**JWFAN EXCLUSIVE!!**

I've been exclusively sent the tracklist for OST, which is being released by Sony Classical:

01 Main Title / Young Peter (4:54)

02 Becoming Spider-man (4:16)

03 Playing Basketball (1:22)

04 Hunting For Information (2:07)

05 The Briefcase (3:14)

06 The Spider Room / Rumble In The Subway (3:20)

07 Secrets (2:30)

08 The Equation (4:22)

09 The Ganali Device (2:28)

10 Ben's Death (5:41)

11 Metamorphosis (3:04)

12 Rooftop Kiss (2:34)

13 The Bridge (5:15)

14 Peter's Suspicions (3:01)

15 Making a Silk Trap (2:52)

16 Lizard At School! (2:57)

17 Saving New York (7:52)

18 Oscorp Tower (3:22)

19 "I Can't See You Anymore" (6:50)

20 Promises / Spiderman End Titles (4:52)

Total time: 1:16:53

Release date: July 3rd, 2012

Amazon.com order link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0084O8NZI/

Cool news Jason! Seems like one of those classic mammoth Horner albums. No 15 minute suite at the end though. ;)

I am actually quite excited to hear this score. Horner doing superhero music is an excellent prospect for lovers of orchestral film music.

19 "I Can't See You Anymore" (6:50)

Am I the only one who finds that hilarious?

Yes it is mildly funny if most likely entirely unintentional. But funny none the less.

I'm actually looking forward to what Horner does with this score. I'm glad Sony gave this film a score only release. I wish they would give Christopher Young's Spider-Man score the release it deserves.

Looking at the running time and how many tracks this album has. As well as it having a main title and end credits has gotten me pretty excited for this but as much as I'm looking forward to this score and film. I'll only pick it up if I'm impressed by it in the film. B/c there's so much potential for this score to be great with it being a Spider-man movie and it being different from the previous films. So hopefully Horner keeps it mostly fresh on this one. And writes something brilliant and not something I've heard in dozens of his films. I do expect to hear his trademarks but hopefully not something that'll distract me out of the film. I am looking forward to this score though cautiously.

Per amazon.com, the release date is Tuesday July 3rd:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0084O8NZI/

Incidentally that's the same day the film opens. Since when do films open on a Tuesday?

For a while. I've worked at a movie theatre for 9 years now.. The releases have usually tended to come out on a Friday or Tuesday. Why Tuesday? I have no idea

Probably b/c the 4th of July is on a Wednesday this year. And movies that open on 4th of July week tend not to open that day but before it. Is my guess anyway.

I'm actually looking forward to what Horner does with this score. I'm glad Sony gave this film a score only release. I wish they would give Christopher Young's Spider-Man score the release it deserves.

I'm surprised Intrada isn't lobbying hard for Sony to let them release it. Young did some great work and actually elevated some of the movie... well, whichever scenes weren't tracked over with Elfman material.

And his unused love theme was gorgeous.

The only way Sony would approve a score only release for Spider-Man 3 is if Young left out the original Elfman themes. Of course since Young is an album producer he said no because that would have really chopped up the score for a CD only release.

Elfman's Spidey theme is tough to beat. Should be interesting to hear how Horner's compare.

I agree with both. Wholeheartedly. Lemme see something to match some previously greatly written scores!

I'm really looking forward to this score. The prospect of another superhero score for Horner is awesome. And with quotes lengthy album, I'm rather excited.

The prospect of another superhero score for Horner is awesome.

Another? Isn't this his first?

The only way Sony would approve a score only release for Spider-Man 3 is if Young left out the original Elfman themes. Of course since Young is an album producer he said no because that would have really chopped up the score for a CD only release.

That still makes no sense. Other franchises didn't have this problem when doing soundtrack releases, and I think it had more to do with Sony replacing part of Young's score with rearrangements of Elfman's themes or essentially tracking over the original recordings. If Young wanted those to be part of the soundtrack release... Sony's decision would make sense. But in a lot of Young's original cues, he didn't use them often... he used it sparingly to good effect.

I don't really think of The Rocketeer as a superhero, but I suppose he fits the bill. Good enough.

That still makes no sense. Other franchises didn't have this problem when doing soundtrack releases, and I think it had more to do with Sony replacing part of Young's score with rearrangements of Elfman's themes or essentially tracking over the original recordings. If Young wanted those to be part of the soundtrack release... Sony's decision would make sense. But in a lot of Young's original cues, he didn't use them often... he used it sparingly to good effect.

Christopher Young has been asked MANY times if the score would get a legit release and every time he has said no. The main point is with the rights issues because of the Elfman material.

Christopher Young has been asked MANY times if the score would get a legit release and every time he has said no. The main point is with the rights issues because of the Elfman material.

I'm curious about how much more the Elfman material would cost for a CD/mp3 official release for SM-3. It's odd that a lot of franchise scores that end up re-using previous composers' material have no problems paying royalties/re-use fees for soundtrack releases.

It is sad. I wish Sony would let a specialty soundtrack outlet like LLL Records or Intrada license the rights for a SM-3 CD. I'd have no problem paying a little extra for the Elfman material.

Elfmans score has a theme?

It has loads of thematic material. And Spider-Man is graced with two or three themes. But they're not really all that hummable.

Karol

I agree. It was always inferior to Walker's and Goldenthal's.

And that's coming from someone who actually loves his Batman scores.

Karol

It has loads of thematic material. And Spider-Man is graced with two or three themes. But they're not really all that hummable.

Karol

I've been humming these since I saw the film...

Karol

I've been humming these since I saw the film...

Its not entirely hummable. But its very memorable, without a doubt. Play the theme to anyone and it can be recognized instantaneously. A very iconic and memorable theme, even if its not all that hummable. I love Elfman's Spiderman scores and I don't think Horner will be able to beat Elfman's great theme, but I'm looking forward to the score regardless.

And Elfman's Batman is a modern classic along with the theme. Moreso than Spiderman (which is kind of obvious) ,that five note theme is definitely something thats stuck with mainstream audiences.

The prospect of another superhero score for Horner is awesome.

Another? Isn't this his first?

What about The Rocketeer, you dimwitted buffoonic baboon?

Zorro!! DUH!!!

Well even Elfman's Batman Theme was never that great.

Yeah it isn't that great. Calling Elfman's Batman score great is an understatement. It was GROUNDBREAKING.

Realistically, we're better off waiting for whoever has the sessions to leak them fully. The last leak was actually pretty comprehensive - although still frustrating - some sad individual took the time to intentionally edit bits out of tracks before leaking it. Omitting cues wasn't enough for that asshole.

Karol

Well even Elfman's Batman Theme was never that great.

I agree. It was always inferior to Walker's and Goldenthal's.

And that's coming from someone who actually loves his Batman scores.

Karol

:eek2:

:fouetaa:

You don't recognise Elfman's Spider-Man theme?

I never knew I was dwelling amongst such deaf people. I may be lying though.

Uhm, Elfman's Batman Theme is one of the most iconic musical creations of the 80's, the perfect aural interpretation of the classic character. It almost rivals Williams' ability to capture such iconic material into music. Anyone crapping on it should be ashamed, very ashamed. And that includes Mr. H. Zimmer.

Uhm, Elfman's Batman Theme is one of the most iconic musical creations of the 80's

Yeah, but which theme is the most iconic: Batman Theme or He's A Pirate?

Both are iconic. But Elfman's Theme complements the iconic stature of Batman perfectly. It is THE musical representation of the character. He's A Pirate fails in capturing the essence of Jack Sparrow. It's a stand alone piece of music that just happens to be very catchy (like a pop song). Elfman's work achieves a level Zimmer could never reach with his POTC score.