James Horner - The Amazing Spider-man

Jay

Bloodboal's Theme.

It goes without saying.

Uhm, Elfman's Batman Theme is one of the most iconic musical creations of the 80's

Yeah, but which theme is the most iconic: Batman Theme or He's A Pirate?

Both are iconic. But Elfman's Theme complements the iconic stature of Batman perfectly. It is THE musical representation of the character. He's A Pirate fails in capturing the essence of Jack Sparrow. It's a stand alone piece of music that just happens to be very catchy (like a pop song). Elfman's work achieves a level Zimmer could never reach with his POTC score.

What about Batman's theme Vs Hedwig's theme?

Both are iconic. Who cares which one is more iconic than the other...? We've had those kind of discussions way too often and it turned out to be futile in the past so please: next!

Wow still talking about how iconic Elfman's Batman theme is in a James Horner The Amazing Spider-man thread. Shows how much interest some have of this score.

Anyone crapping on it should be ashamed, very ashamed.

Did I crap on it?

You don't recognise Elfman's Spider-Man theme?

I never knew I was dwelling amongst such deaf people. I may be lying though.

I said there are two or three themes...

Karol

Shouldn't we all take a course on humming, so we have a baseline to rate how the other people can hum? Otherwise you're just blowing smoke.

You know you love a score if you're humming a long with what you're listening to but end up humming a few notes ahead of what's actually playing. Or you're in perfect sync with whatever cue you're listening to at the time.

I don't understand why people think its so hard to hum the Spidey themes. I started doing it on the way to the store yesterday without even realizing it. Now obviously if you don't like the theme you aren't going to hum it, but its not impossible.

Joker's theme from TDK on the other hand........

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it sounds encouraging.

Karol

Yes. I even liked Horner's brand of electronics for some reason. They did not bother me in Avatar and they sound palatable in Spiderman now.

Yeah, it sounds encouraging.

Karol

Yes. I even liked Horner's brand of electronics for some reason. They did not bother me in Avatar and they sound palatable in Spiderman now.

I think for all the grief we give Horner, he is as good an orchestrator as any. I actually think his understanding of acoustics and sound may even exceed Williams and Goldsmith. The latter two have generally had many awkward orchestrations throughout their careers. But other than the synth choir in Titanic, which is debatable and sounds great for what it is, I can't recall a Horner score with glaringly awkward orchestrations.

I think for all the grief we give Horner, he is as good an orchestrator as any. I actually think his understanding of acoustics and sound may even exceed Williams and Goldsmith. The latter two have generally had many awkward orchestrations throughout their careers. But other than the synth choir in Titanic, which is debatable and sounds great for what it is, I can't recall a Horner score with glaringly awkward orchestrations.

Never change a winning team. But honestly, the syrupy children's choruses in APOLLO 13 etc., the 80's drum machine inferno COMMANDO, the electronics in BEYOND BORDERS...Horner can easily compete in that department with the two other gentlemen named above.

The samples have me mixed. The airy, less heavy sound is refreshing for a superhero film, but on the other hand -- it makes the orchestra sound smaller and underpowered. And the first minute's worth of samples sound like Horner is trying to emulate the temp-track and keep away from it... I hear some minor Elfman and Young 'influences' there.

And there's no big theme that leaps out at me. But then, it's just samples.

The Amazon page now reveals the cover art:

jhtasm.jpg

Source: http://www.amazon.co...ZI/ref=jwfancom

Also I wanted to link again to the latest episode of Tim Burden's great radio show Movie Magic, which premiered clips to the score.

http://soundcloud.co...featuring-james

Somebody has taken the clips that aired on his show and compiled them into a youtube video:

[media=]

He was referring to Picking Pockets being dropped at the last minute from the Adventures of Tintin OST, which was also released by Sony Classical.

I'm confused at the first half of these samples.

Did they temp the film with Elfman's scores, hire Horner to do something different, to then ask him to emulate the temp Elfman score?

The second half of things sound more interesting, but I still feel Elfman nailed it square on the head the first time around.

Did they temp the film with Elfman's scores, hire Horner to do something different, to then ask him to emulate the temp Elfman score?

That's exactly the thought I had! It's like the filmmakers really wanted the Elfman sound, but couldn't hire Elfman after what happened with Spidey 2, and couldn't hire Young after Spidey 3, so they got someone else to just emulate his sound. Horner must have been an expensive way to get what they wanted!

Seems like ultimately it would be less expensive to just not screw people over...nah!

I do like the action material. Temping aside, this sounds like it could be pretty darn good.

That's exactly the thought I had! It's like the filmmakers really wanted the Elfman sound, but couldn't hire Elfman after what happened with Spidey 2, and couldn't hire Young after Spidey 3, so they got someone else to just emulate his sound. Horner must have been an expensive way to get what they wanted!

That's exactly what I thought as well. There are some very promising bits in there, but the opening modern samples leave me a bit confused. Regardless, I'm not hearing any major regurgitations of past efforts so I'm really interested in what we'll be getting back.

The theme is very Hornerish.

That, it is.

I don't think the theme lives up to Elfman's work. But I still like it and it fits very well with Horner's usual repertoire.

Here's another clip of the film, in which you can hear the main hero theme (Spider-man's Theme) at work

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9eJqYkhsk4

Earlier in the film there is a piano theme (Petere's Theme) in most cues, the hero theme doesn't show up until he dons the costume, I believe

Sounds very nice.

But it still sounds like Elfman. And nobody does Elfman better than Elfman. His energetic theme crushes this one to dust.

Hmmm...if you'd have told me some RCP slave churned this out, i would have believed it. Simple ostinati and lacking any finesse in catching the on-screen activity is a tough price to pay for not hearing a Horner score made up of danger motifs and Braveheart leftovers.

I really liked Doctor Ocopus's Theme (especially it's reprise in Young's main titles) and the Sandman music too