Leonard Slatkin's Vaughan Williams cycle

Seth

Hi all,

I am looking into getting this cycle of RVW's symphonies and was wondering if there are any opinions on it. Previn's seems to be more widely acclaimed but it's out of print, and Slatkin seems like a consistent enough conductor that it should be good. Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have this set and like it a great deal. For the most part though, these are the only versions of this music that I've heard, so I can't really offer a comparsion to other conductor's interpetations.

It made a Vaughan Williams fan out of me, though. I don't think there is a disc in this set that I don't enjoy.

Bernard Haitink's cycle is pretty great and quite cheap. But the problem is with these cycles is that you never get the best versions of all the symphonies

We just had that exact same question elsewhere a while ago.

Anyway, this is the cycle I have. Not one of great classics like Boult and Haitink, but it generally got very favourable reviews as a full cycle, and I like it a lot. Plus it has one of the best versions of the Tallis fantasia.

Don't forget to also get the Hickox recording of the London Symphony, for the original (longer) version and the LSO's fantastic performance.

Indeed, Marion, that extended version of the London Symphony is incredible and that one will probably be the only recorded performance for quite some years.

The recently deceased Vernon Handley seemed to understand VW's music than most. I recommend his complete symphonies recordings with the Royal Liverpool Philamonic Orchestra. His interpretation of "London" is surperb.

The recently deceased Vernon Handley seemed to understand VW's music than most. I recommend his complete symphonies recordings with the Royal Liverpool Philamonic Orchestra. His interpretation of "London" is surperb.

I too have the Vernon Handley boxset (you can find it at bargain price on Amazon) and it's a wonderful collection, featuring some great performances. Of course, you should check the Haitink/LPO cycle if you want to have the best of both worlds.

Thanks for all the advice! After reading further, I think I've opted to go with a hodge-podge--a couple by Previn, some from the Naxos cycle with the Bournemouth Symphony and Robert Spano's Sea Symphony.

Don't forget to also get the Hickox recording of the London Symphony, for the original (longer) version and the LSO's fantastic performance.

I've known about this for a while; what kind of material did he cut in the revision?

I've known about this for a while; what kind of material did he cut in the revision?

I don't recall really. I'm not that familiar with the symphony in detail, and I rarely listen to the revised version now. In fact some years ago I was sure that the passage De Meij lifted for his LOTR symphony was among the restored material, but then I listened to the revision again and there it was, too.

There isn't a perfect cycle. Here is my choice on the individuals:

No. 1: Haitink

No. 2: Hickox/Chandos (original version)

No. 3: Boult

No. 4: Boult

No. 5: Previn/LSO

No. 6: Boult

No. 7: Previn/LSO and Boult (for the Landscape movement) (the naxos/Bakels is good too)

No. 8: Boult

No. 9: Previn/LSO

Haitink is very uneven. Sounds great in some of them and terrible in some of them. No. 8 and 9 is nothing like the score so either the engineering is way off or he took too many liberties.

If you really wanted just one version, Boult (either one) is the one to get. Best all around interpretation, authenticity, and sound. Note the earlier Boult recordings are better interpretations but in mono which might be an issue for most people. The later ones are not as white hot, but still great and have better sound.