Schindler's List

CharlieSherry

Well, I think I have to say it to all of you, I need help.

I have all the classic scores composed by John Williams (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws, Jurassic Park, ET...) except Schindler's List.

I have tried to buy it many times in the past, but I have never got it because I always thought that it is "sad music".

Let me explain:

The rest of the Williams' scores were not so dramatic as this one.

But Williams have surprised to me many times (this year with Minority Report)

All the web sites put it as the best score of the last decade and the last best classic Williams so...

Is it incredible music?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(...)

Is it incredible music?

8O :):)

Was that a serious question??

Well let me think... YES!

YES YES YES!

Of course, very much of it IS very dramatic, the "sad" to "ultra sad" type, but it is one of the greatest masterworks Williams has ever written (and my No. 1 Williams score)

Schindlers List is an incredible score, one of his best.

It IS at times very sad music, it's certainly not a very uplifting score, it does have a few brighter moments, especially in Schindlers Workforce.

The themes are awe-inspiring, the main theme is a piece of virtuoso composing AND performance, Perlman really brings it home.

The Rememberances Theme is also great, possible better even then the main theme.

Then there are haunting cues like the choral Immolation, or the frightening Auschwitz-Birkenau.

It's different from any of Williams scores, yet it is pure Williams.

Get it.

Stefancos- who does not play the score a lot, but when he does he is in awe.

Of course it's sad. And?

BUY IT!!!

It's musically, IMO, the most perfect music Williams has ever composed.

And there is one non-dramatic cue you will LOVE: Schindler's Workforce.

Yeah, I agree with what's been said. Schindler's List is poignant in a way that film scores rarely have the opportunity to be. JW is able to capture the Jewish ethnic aspect and the tragic nature of the film. I think the main theme is very sad but it actually has a tinge of hope and compassion to it, as is appropriate for a theme that conveys Schindler's efforts to save lives.

It seems like a necessary CD for any JW fan but I can never tell somebody that they will definitely like it. I love it but people differ.

-Adam

I agree with Adam. The main theme has hope and compassion, unlike "Inmolation", full of desperation, when you see corps burning, and chorus singing Bichayehnu anu yutzreem chaim (with our lifes, we give life). Superb.

spielberg1.jpg

I happened to be playing the CD today myself. It always amazes me how Johnny managed to pull that off so well. The thematic approach could of in theory backfired horribly considering the subject matter. But they were constructed beautifully. I'm sure Spielberg was a bit nervous about hiring Johnny for that one (no matter what he says officially), but Johnny did a superb job with it.

Adam - Who's favourite track of the score is Immolation.

But they were constructed beautifully. I'm sure Spielberg was a bit nervous about hiring Johnny for that one (no matter what he says officially), but Johnny did a superb job with it.  

I don't think Spielberg would be nervous about waht to expect from Williams -- he know him much better than we do, keep that in mind, and he sure know that Williams is able to do anything, and I really mean anything. And afterall, that's one of the reasons he is who he is, one of the most appreciated and respected composers of his day! He can do what ever a director needs, still sounding like himself, and making some very highquality music. Spielberg, more than anyone else, does know this... and that's the final reason why he won't let him go.

Could be. Its just that Spielberg said many times he was so nervous about making this movie on so many levels. He mentioned that he wanted to drop his old tricks and habits for that movie. He wanted to start afresh. So i onyl just wondered if it had ever crossed his mind at any stage to not use Williams due to him being involved with those earlier projects of his.Its all just speculation. But yes i suppose you would infact actually be less nervous working with someone you've got to know well over a long career together.

Is it incredible music?

yes it is very good music, however, I will temper these other posters and say that it is not of of John's best scores. It is not the best thing he has done in the last 10 years. It is a subdued and restrained score that is at best a 4 out of 5 star score. But as in all the other posts, IMHO.

Charlie, get the score right now. Stop waiting for more proof that it's good.

But in case you need proof:

"Schindler's Workforce" is a wonderfully bright cue. Kind of like the opening of "Fiddler on the Roof."

"Auschwitz" breaks my heart. It sounds like hundreds of women crying.

The end credits music makes me cry. Full of loss, hope and love.

This score does so much in its short time.

I purchased the soundtrack to Schindlers's List just as the movie was being released. I had noticed the music immediately because of a fairly long review of it on TV just before it was released, and the music stood out so much in that program. I think they made clear on the credits that it was John's music used in the review too. So i bought i very quickly. Its the only time i've ever done that. But it was a smart move. Its certainly a one of a kind score which you should check out OP. My favourite part (if such a term applies to this score considering its subject) is Immolation. Haunting dark choral but then the beautiful rendition of the theme within.

I'm sure Spielberg was a bit nervous about hiring Johnny for that one (no matter what he says officially), but Johnny did a superb job with it.

hogwash, after all their time together Steven never considered anyone else. I am sure the thought never ever even crossed his mind.

I consider Schindler's List to be the best JW score ever and also the best film he ever scored.

It's just one of those cd's you need to have as a JW fan, or a music fan for that matter.

The beauty of the music is overwhelming, I can't recommend it enough.

It's the most beautiful piece of music I've ever heard, penned by John Williams' heart. Spielberg could have hardly hoped for anything better as to Schindler's List musical accompaniment. It's as if John Williams didn't try to merely compose a score to tinge the story with musical background, it's like he'd cast another prominent character to the foreground of the movie.

I hate to say this, but I've only heard the album once, and that was when I first got it in 1993. Haven't seen the movie since I saw it theatrically either, of course I saw it 3 times theatrically. It's so powerful, I can't bring myself to say, I really feel like listening to Schindler's List.

Neil

Maybe I have not explain right.

I mean

I want the score to like it, but I guess that I don't like drama music too much...

If you don't like drama music too much, I don't recommend it. The music is rather dramatic.

hogwash, after all their time together Steven never considered anyone else.  I am sure the thought never ever even crossed his mind.

"So certain are you". hehehe. Can you read his mind Joe?. Me using the words "I'm sure" was not right either. I should of put "I wonder if...". We will never know if he doubted or wondered about it any stage, or was certain from day one (Unless you've read something somewhere saying so). If you have then i stand corrected :)

who knows what lies in the heart of men, ...

actually, I have heard or read that John questioned whether he was up to the task, and Steven assured him he was.

Joe, who is thinking of making a new post about the darkdays between John and the BPO

While I agree with the consesus that this is one of JW's greatest acheivements musically, and that Perlman's virtuoso performance is second to none, I find the score emotionally overwhelming. I mean that as a compliment to Williams' genius in drawing every last drop of emotion from every phrase of music he writes. I, literally, become breathless listening to the Helicopter rescue sequence in Superman, I tear up every time I listen to the last ten minutes of E.T., and the raw sorrow of Schindler's List is not something I can endure very often. I recommend it highly to anyone who wants to hear a gloriously well written, recorded and performed musical experience. For myself, the sorrow of the score stirs up to many bad memories for me... As does the Mahler 2nd Symphony and Tchaikovsky's 6th... And, IMHO, Williams' Schindler's List Main theme and Immolation hold all the emotion of the above mentioned symphonic works... This is the perfect marriage of music and movie, and that rumour about Spielberg thinking twice about hiring John Williams to score Schindler's list is tommyrot!!!!! No one, and I mean NO ONE, could have scored that movie better... I'm sure Spielberg knew that!!!

I might have listened to the c.d. 2 or 3 times only fully,I never liked this type of Williams score all that much although i can see how some people think it's better written than some of his other "more fun" scores.

Thank god TPM and Harry Potter came along after the dreadfully serious mid 90's .

K.M.

If you don't like drama music too much, I don't recommend it. The music is rather dramatic.

It's so good, that I find it hard to believe that somone who doesn't like dramatic music wouldn't get anything out of it.

actually, I have heard or read that John questioned whether he was up to the task, and Steven assured him he was.

John said You'll need someone better than me for this, Spielberg said Yes, but they are all dead.

John said You'll need someone better than me for this, Spielberg said Yes, but they are all dead.

They could of used Channeling :)

(deep hollywood trailer voice) THE BIGGEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR. AND....FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER IN A MOTION PICTURE....A SCORE CHANNELED FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE BY Mistress Zanzibar.

Really?

I would never said that to Williams... It will be a lie ;)

PS: Its me (that do not get american/english humor/humour :sigh: very well) or that sounds a little rude?