#SnowyVernalSpringsEternal

The Official UEFA Euro 2012 Thread

I rest my case. He's always been fast as fuck. He's been in the squad for years and yet they only send him on when we're down. Play him from the start!

No, that's just what they'd be expecting us to do...

Right result...GREAT match...and Quint - you're preaching to the choir about Walcott...

Right then Alice....Alice? ...who the fuck is Alice???

I'm a nervous wreck after watching that. The two Ashleys (Cole and Young) were uncharacteristically poor while Carroll and Johnson were excellent. We need to stop giving the ball away so easily.

bowdown Theo bowdown

I think England has quite a solid team, not too much stars in there. Most of the time they just cause confusion.

Like Zlatan. Or Ribery.

Tonight could be a humiliation of epic proportions for The Netherlands!

How the hell did we go from soaring through to the 2010 WC final, and a brilliant qualifying series to this travesty!

I was told by every expert on the Dutch telly that we would be amongst the teams that were in for a shot!

Yes we were in the Poole of Death with Germany and Portugal. But Denmark gave us hope. If we could just beat them! That game was a travesty!

Ok agains Germany we HAD to be there. The motivation was certainly present. Germany is our oldest and most bitter rival!

Once again we were hammered. The worst things is that we never really had a shot against a Germany that did not have to go all out!

And now we have one tiny chance, in which we are dependant on what ze Germans do, and we have to shine against Portugal. Possible the team we have had the least amount of success with.

I'm sure Merkel will remember this famous game!

"massacre of nürnberg" on 25th June 2006

16yellow cards 4red cards

Alice - we played better, now - tits or gtfo!! ;)

This is going too far... tame it back, please.

I mean... I don'(t even lknow what to say. We played so much better and the one who says otherwise is, sry, a fucking idiot.

jeeez... I was really angry. and tipsy:(

I was away in Lisbon for a wedding, so I could't comment any earlier. Very good performance by Portugal, that created chances upon chances. And Holland has surplus of talent in the wrong places. How can such a talented midfield be backed up by such a poor defense? As we spoke the other day, Steef, the days of the likes of Stam and Frank de Boer are long gone. You really need to call up new defenders. A pity about the lack of form of the most talented dutch players.

Great game by Ronaldo, today he deserves all the accolades

How can such a talented midfield be backed up by such a poor defense? As we spoke the other day, Steef, the days of the likes of Stam and Frank de Boer are long gone.

This has been a problem for a while now. The fact is that The Netherlands currently have no defenders of great quality in their teams. Heitinga is decent, but that's it.

The very offensive, Cruyffian school of football that is deeply ingrained in Dutch football culture often tends to ignore the importance of defenders. Players are valued on their ability to control all aspects of the game. this is why Huntelaar has been passed over for Van Persie all this time. RVP is a far more versatile player, while Huntelaar is only useful within the box. Players like him, and Van Nistelrooy a few years ago don't get the respect they deserve.

As for the game. It was a good match. We started good, but slowly Portugal took the wind out of our sails. Ronaldo finally came into his own.

Also glad that it was a competitive, but clean game.

There were too many piano players in the Duch line up and not enough piano carriers. It is a shame, because I think it was a particularly talented group of players. But there was no balance in the team. Now it becomes clearer why the coach always played with two holding midfielders (Van Bommel and De Jong), to try to protect such a fragile defense. With the Jong alone, it is not surprising that a team like Portugal, that although with limitations, does have very fast players on the flanks, ended up creating as many as chances as they did.

But as you said, Steef, it was a very competitive and loyal match. I still maintain that in the midfield and in the attack, Holland has a much better group of players than us. I wish we had a player like Luuk de Jong in our starting line up, while in Holland he didn't even play a single minute. But the Portuguese team is at the moment, much more balanced. And a brutish thug he may be, but Pepe is simply one of the best defenders in the world and probably the best thus far in this competition