What movies make you emotional or cry by their craftmanship?

filmmusic

Alex makes a good point, emotion isn't all sorry and saddness.

I don't think that any single craft within film other than film music moves me significantly. It must be a chorus of many crafts.

The New World, the opening using the Vorspiel from Rheingold

Every Malick film does it for me sans Badlands, but it's been a long time since I've seen that one.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkUBECRoAwM

Once 1:57 hits I'm there.

This is for me a prime example of a director's pretentiousness. Kubrick's 2001 (with which someone made comparisons) still beats this to a pulp.

Care to elaborate?

so since emotional was not truly defined then the discussion is open to films that fill you with joy, laughter, saddness, sorrow, excitement.

Airplane, no film made me laugh and smile as much as it does.

tree of life is pretentious. is that an emotion?

No. The creation of the universe according to Malick is.

Considering he's pretty much the only director to ever film its creation, I'd like to know what could have been improved. Many people walked out during this scene, but I was completely mesmerized. Not solely because of his use of music, or special effects, but because how it all ties in to his unique narrative. This is a film that only gets better with each viewing, and it's already in my Top 20.

Considering he's pretty much the only director to ever film its creation, I'd like to know what could have been improved. Many people walked out during this scene, but I was completely mesmerized. Not solely because of his use of music, or special effects, but because how it all ties in to his unique narrative. This is a film that only gets better with each viewing, and it's already in my Top 20.

I would greatly enjoy reading a thread by you about your top 20 films similar to your top 10 musical artists thread.

I would greatly enjoy reading a thread by you about your top 20 films similar to your top 10 musical artists thread.

why don't you make a thread encouraging people to do that, not just Koray, and not just a list thread, but provide explanations. especially on obscure choices.

Everyone's free to do it. It's all up to the poster to put however much time and effort into the explanations rather than just listing.

The problem with me and films is that there are so many good ones it's hard to keep a list down. I don't even know where The Tree Of Life would fall. Right now I'm not sure if I would put it in a Top 10, which is why I said 20. Hard for me to prefer it over The Thin Red Line.

For TV shows, Lost had a lot of tear inducing episodes

Deep Space Nine had that in spades. At least with the theme of what this thread is about.

Everyone's free to do it. It's all up to the poster to put however much time and effort into the explanations rather than just listing.

The problem with me and films is that there are so many good ones it's hard to keep a list down. I don't even know where The Tree Of Life would fall. Right now I'm not sure if I would put it in a Top 10, which is why I said 20. Hard for me to prefer it over The Thin Red Line.

I know anyone can, I was trying to say that I greatly enjoyed your top 10 musical artists posts and would enjoy reading you talk about your favorite movies. You turned me on to some good albums I enjoy now, and maybe you will turn me on to some good movies too.

You could always do them "in no particular order", or hell just pick random movies that inspire you to write about them

What creation? We see gas clouds and then some galaxies and more gas clouds (which couldn't exist until after a while of the beginning of the expansion of the universe), some of them are current. The Helix Nebula is particularly known. Creation my ass.

I would have spent a few minutes showing the subatomic world, and the development of bigger particles until you had the basic elements for the existence of an hydrogen atom, then pull back to show the beginning of fusion. Now that is trippy.

I think if he did it in real time, Chaac, we'd be sitting there for awhile. I think the whole scene is something like 12-15 minutes, which was already too long for people.

Oh, people are dull.

It's not about it being real time. It's just not a creation scene. It's our current universe.

I know anyone can, I was trying to say that I greatly enjoyed your top 10 musical artists posts and would enjoy reading you talk about your favorite movies. You turned me on to some good albums I enjoy now, and maybe you will turn me on to some good movies too.

You could always do them "in no particular order", or hell just pick random movies that inspire you to write about them

Yeah I was replying to Joey with my first part. I'll think about it after I rewatch some Kubrick and Leone.

I think if he did it in real time, Chaac, we'd be sitting there for awhile. I think the whole scene is something like 12-15 minutes, which was already too long for people.

Oh, people are dull.

It's not about it being real time. It's just not a creation scene. It's our current universe.

I view it as jump cuts through our past. Dinosaurs aren't current.

They belong in our current universe. My point is, no "creation of the universe" appears in this film.

Also birds are dinosaurs :lick:

Calling birds dinosaurs is like calling people monkeys. You can get shot for that in some parts of town.

But it's not the same. Aves and Dinosauria are scientifically meaningful clades. "People" and "monkeys" are not, and they're defined according to the common name for these in each language, which isn't based on their phylogeny. Aves are Dinosauria, "people" aren't "monkeys".

Ah yes. An educated soul, smart enough to know that human beings and monkeys share a common ancestor, but if this common ancestor were to walk on down the street, the average schmuck would say "awww, look at the cute lil monkey."

Looking at a bird and saying "look at that modern-day dinosaur" is like rolling over to stare into your lover's eyes and say "I love you, you modern-day gelatinous primoridal protoplasmic goo." A stretch. One of these doesn't get you a bitch slap.

Looking at a bird and saying "look at that modern-day dinosaur" is like rolling over to stare into your lover's eyes and say "I love you, you modern-day gelatinous primoridal protoplasmic goo." A stretch. One of these doesn't get you a bitch slap.

It's not a stretch, birds existed at the time of non-avian dinosaurs. And I've seen a non-avian bird-like dinosaur too many. The average schmuck would call these "birds", too. To someone in the Cretaceous, there would not have been a clear visual separation between "birds" and "dinosaurs".

there are few moments in the history of film that evoked such great joy as the first sight of the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. I remember getting chills down my spine. The whole sequence featured great effects, great acting, GREAT MUSIC, great direction, storytelling etc. The whole chorus, the perfect blend...

there are few moments in the history of film that evoked such great joy as the first sight of the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. I remember getting chills down my spine. The whole sequence featured great effects, great acting, GREAT MUSIC, great direction, storytelling etc. The whole chorus, the perfect blend...

OMG, yes! I forgot about that!

That sequence in Jurassic Park was my very first euphoric experience at the cinema. I imagine to a 16yr old at the time it had the same effect and jaw dropping impact as the overhead star destroyer in Star Wars nearly twenty years earlier. If it weren't for Jurassic Park, I probably wouldn't be posting here today.

That sequence in particular though is unique in that the words coming out of Grant's mouth, the disbelief on his face - it's a mirror reflection of the audience. We are as gobsmacked as he is. It's a very literal moment of awe and wonder and the perfect example of audience involvement in film.

Also I 'd like to add a personal favourite, the main title sequence of Terminator 2!

that music, with the fire, and the kids playground (the irony!), gets me every time!

(and of course the whole movie.)

(meanwhile I'm thinking of others....)

here is another one from a different perspective.

back in the days where I had not seen nearly as many films as I've seen today I was skeptical that a black and white film could make me laugh so hard like the then modern comedies. Then I saw a gem called the Man Who Came to Dinner with Monty Woolley, Betty Davis, Ann Sheridan, Jimmy Durante, and Billy Burke, also the great character actress Mary Wickes. I was wrong, the comedy was great, the laughs loud. Plus it's a great Christmas movie.

Good one. I think it's the one part everyone remembers most from the film.

They belong in our current universe. My point is, no "creation of the universe" appears in this film.

Well it'd look stupid if someone showed a giant bang and everything forming incredibly fast. Like I said, it jumps, and creation is heavily implied. It goes from gas clouds to galaxy and nebula to Sun to Earth and it keeps getting more specific.

here is another one from a different perspective.

back in the days where I had not seen nearly as many films as I've seen today I was skeptical that a black and white film could make me laugh so hard like the then modern comedies. Then I saw a gem called the Man Who Came to Dinner with Monty Woolley, Betty Davis, Ann Sheridan, Jimmy Durante, and Billy Burke, also the great character actress Mary Wickes. I was wrong, the comedy was great, the laughs loud. Plus it's a great Christmas movie.

oh, i might want to add this to my to-watch list in Christmas, since I'm watching classic films in the last years.

some others (how could I forget these): (remember, we're talking about being moved by craftmanship)

-the transformation scene in Disney's Beauty and the Beast (one of the best scenes I've ever seen)

-Circle of life and the stampede in Lion King

-Entrance of Cleopatra in Rome

-Disney's Snowwhite and the Seven dwarfs (the whole movie) (and I might want to add most Disney classic animation films like Cinderella, Pinocchio etc.)

-Fantasia (this deserves a special place) (the whole movie)

-Amadeus (most of the movie, especially the requiem parts)

-Bram Stoker's Dracula (most of the movie)

-Superman (most of the movie. especially opening credits and start of movie - love the way the credits are shown in conjuction with the music, helicopter scene)

-Crucifixion scene from The Passion of Christ

-Most of Ridley's Scott Legend

Well it'd look stupid if someone showed a giant bang and everything forming incredibly fast. Like I said, it jumps, and creation is heavily implied. It goes from gas clouds to galaxy and nebula to Sun to Earth and it keeps getting more specific.

I know it jumps! That wasn't my point. I would have jumped too. Well that and some accelerated imagery of galaxy collisions, must be pretty spectacular.

-Crucifixion scene from The Passion of Christ

Isn't that like half the movie?

well, actually no. it's like 10 minutes. ;)

I'm talking from the moment they reach Golgotha. (is this how it is written? anyway).

But the whole movie is very well crafted.

Away Jurassic Park. Great example. Nothing sad about that first full view of the dinosaurs scene, yet sometimes brings me to tears. Great acting, directing, *music*, writing, fx. Great pic.

I actually liked the Tree of Life quite a bit, and in many ways I can see why its been compared to Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. I thought this film was better in my opinion though (yes, I know that people are going to kill me now). It encompasses a topic as vast as the creation of the universe and unlike Kubrick's film, this project succeeds in being more accessible and intimate. It makes you think but it is comprehensible and doesn't throw you completely off like 2001 does.

The Tree of Life was a more gripping film too and I really liked the ideas expressed in the film. The only real issue I had with it was the editing which really diminished the film's capacity to contain all those ideas in a logical manner. If they had taken a more conventional approach to the editing, this film would have been brilliant. But as it is, I found it to be quite a good film.

And Chaac, the film is very much a creation tale. Its quite obvious how the film portrays the creation of the universe and how life has evolved. And you can't expect the terribly long film to be even longer by showing the formation of subatomic particles!! As it is, the Universe sequence follows a very logical procedure. The formation of gas clouds eventually over a very long time (obviously not in real time) lead into the formation of nebulas and galaxies. You then see the Sun and the eventual creation of the Solar System. Then you see the ball of molten rock that is the Earth followed by the appearance of microbes, then everything else...

It's a beautiful sequence:

[media=]

The use of Lacrimosa in that scene was truly haunting, although short lived. Damn Mallick knows how to use classical music in his film, too bad he doesn't know how to treat the composers he hires.

Deathly Hallows Pt 1. Desplat's music Obliviate makes a very sad and beautiful moment of love. It's a brief moment, yet unforgettable.

OMG, yes! I forgot about that!

I disagree. I thought the moment was ruined because they didn't let the music play full blast. They noticeably lowered the music every time one of the actors went "ooh" and "ahhh" like someone fumbling with the volume knob. That impression has clung to me since I first saw the film

Did I? Lol! I guess I did. As pointless as it was, I thought I'd express why I'd like it. And reading over it again, I pretty much repeated what you said about the definition of the film, but I expressed my own opinion about it and what I felt were its strengths and weaknesses. So not entirely true ;)

It took me a while to get in grips with it, but I was surprised by how taken away I was with the film.