The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

I definitely agree with the Strauss assessment. Very lyrical with definite moments of bombast. The aforementioned Tone Poems are good starting point.

I would also say some of Shostakovich's work. Maybe Copland Symphony No. 3

Star Wars, Star Trek II The Wrath Of Khan, Star Trek The Motion Picture, ET, Back to The Future, The Last Starfighter, Indiana Jones

I can think of lots of pieces with a cinematic kind of sound (it was an interest in that sort of thing which initially led me to orchestral concert music), but it's worth noting that the type of repeated, catchy tunes associated with the scores you've mentioned here are very much a film phenomenon, less likely to be found in symphonies and the like.

So, a random piece with (in my opinion) rather a cinematic sound: Benjamin Britten's Sinfonia da requiem (especially the first movement - up to about 8:45).

Strauss (like Wagner), can be a acquired taste. I can't stomach his Sturm und Drang myself, but you might enjoy it. The one Strauss work that I love is the Four Last Songs. Poignant.

I'm more of a Mahler and Bruckner kind of guy.

Saving all your recommendations for the right time when I'm ready to take the plunge. Thanks for everything so far!

Pines of Rome and The Firebird are both on Fantasia 2000; both the original movie and the sequel are great places to start getting into classical music... The original takes more risks, like including Rite of Spring a couple of years after its release must have been a pretty daring move. Apart from Rhapsody in Blue -which is the best segment of 2000-, the sequel doesn't take any chances as big as that one, but there's some fun stuff still. If you haven't seen them and if you're into the more experimental side of Disney you should check them out. Great music with great animation.

Strauss (like Wagner), can be a acquired taste. I can't stomach his Sturm und Drang myself, but you might enjoy it. The one Strauss work that I love is the Four Last Songs. Poignant.

I always found most of Strauss' orchestral works easily accessible (with the exception of Heldenleben). It's his operas that took me a while - now my single favourite opera is one of his, and several others are among my other favourites. The Four Last Songs are fantastic as well.

Bruckner is in a category of his own for me anyway. Both Goldsmith and Glass owe a lot to him I think.

I always found most of Strauss' orchestral works easily accessible (with the exception of Heldenleben). It's his operas that took me a while - now my single favourite opera is one of his, and several others are among my other favourites. The Four Last Songs are fantastic as well.

Bruckner is in a category of his own for me anyway. Both Goldsmith and Glass owe a lot to him I think.

Salome is fantastic; an utterly monumental work of art. I'm not exactly an opera guy, but I took to that one right away. Very accessible one act opera. I'm seeing it next week!

Bruckner and Mahler really shouldn't be argued against each other. I like or love both for different reasons, though admittedly it took me longer to get into Bruckner (his 6th and 9th symphonies flipped the switch for me)

Salome is fantastic; an utterly monumental work of art. I'm not exactly an opera guy, but I took to that one right away. Very accessible one act opera. I'm seeing it next week!

I love Salome and Elektra. Especially the latter has many narrative passages that are basically film music with an added solo voice.

My two seasonal must sees at the opera are Rosenkavalier and Ariadne auf Naxos. The latter crams a whole number of divergent musical styles into just two hours and manages makes them one whole, with no superfluous moments. Plus Strauss makes a mere 37 people orchestra (and that includes a piano, among other things) sound nothing short of a full blown Wagner orchestra during the finale. It also has the best libretto I know, mindboggling on a level akin to a Charlie Kaufman movie.

Bruckner and Mahler really shouldn't be argued against each other. I like or love both for different reasons, though admittedly it took me longer to get into Bruckner (his 6th and 9th symphonies flipped the switch for me)

The 6th doesn't get enough love. It's one of my favourites.

I love Salome and Elektra. Especially the latter has many narrative passages that are basically film music with an added solo voice.

My two seasonal must sees at the opera are Rosenkavalier and Ariadne auf Naxos. The latter crams a whole number of divergent musical styles into just two hours and manages makes them one whole, with no superfluous moments. Plus Strauss makes a mere 37 people orchestra (and that includes a piano, among other things) sound nothing short of a full blown Wagner orchestra during the finale. It also has the best libretto I know, mindboggling on a level akin to a Charlie Kaufman movie.

I'll have to check Ariadne auf Naxos out. I'm not familiar with it at all but it sounds interesting (and I love Strauss). Any recommended recordings?

Kempe on EMI, definitely. With the fantastic Janowitz in the lead role.

The Böhm recording on DVD is also really good, again with Janowitz, and with Gruberova as Zerbinetta. That recording was made in 78 at the Vienna State Opera, showing the then new staging by Fillip Sanjust, which ran for over three decades until it was replaced only last season. I've seen it multiple times since discovering the opera in 2008, twice with Gruberova, who three decades later was still fantastic in the role, both vocally and as an actress.

I love that staging. I don't know many others (the new State Opera one by Bechtolf, and another recent one), but in my opinion this once fits the opera like a glove and perfectly brings out the opera's strengths. The new Bechtolf staging is good, but I'll forever miss Sanjust's.

The opera has a very interesting genesis, too. I suggest reading up on it if you're interested in that sort of thing.

What I'm looking for I wouldn't call classical, but I think this thread is really for "art music" in general, so, here goes.

1. What concert works have aleatoric stuff similar to Shore's louder pieces (think the end of "The Doors of Durin" from FOTR or "The Drowning" from The Cell)?

2. What spectral composers might people recommend? I recently heard some of Gerard Grisey's works and really liked them.

Kempe on EMI, definitely. With the fantastic Janowitz in the lead role.

I have Böhm's version of Le Nozze Di Figaro with Janowitz (and Edith Mathis). Love her voice. I'll investigate immediately.

I forgot, the entire Böhm recording is actually on YouTube:

(The lip syncing can be a bit annoying at times)

Can anyone recommend a few classical pieces that most resemble the classic orchestral film score sound from the 70s-90s?

It depends very much on what are you looking for. I guess you mean the typical lush, "ear-candy" symphonic style replete with hummable themes and motifs. IMHO, the best way to start is Gustav Holst's The Planets. It's probably one of the most film music-like pieces you'll ever find in the classical repertoire molded in that particular 1980s Williams/Horner symphonic vernacular. I think it's a very good way to start.

I would suggest you to look also into some of the American symphonic music from the early-to-mid 20th century (namely Copland, Barber, Hanson, Leonard Bernstein and Roy Harris), in which there are stylistic traits not too dissimilar to the Hollywood film scores of the 80s and 90s. After that, you can approach some of the great English symphonic repertoire from the same period, like Elgar's marches and Ralph Vaughan Williams' symphonies. And from then on, you have immense field to explore, like the great Russian composers (Mussorgsky, Prokofiev, Shostakovich), the French Impressionists (Ravel, Debussy) and the Late Romantics (Mahler, Bruckner and Strauss).

Anyway, here's a personal list of selected works you should look into based on your needs. Maybe it's simpler than throwing names and works. Take it just as a sort of starting point from which you can build your own knowledge, of course.

. The Planets (Gustav Holst)

. Appalachian Springs / Rodeo (Aaron Copland)

. Symphony No. 2 "Romantic" (Howard Hanson)

. "School of Scandal" Overture / Music from a Scene from Shelley / Symphony No. 1 (Samuel Barber)

. Symphony No. 8 "Antarctica" (Ralph Vaughan Williams)

. "Enigma" Variations / "Pomp and Circumstance" Marches No.1-5 (Edward Elgar)

. Daphnis et Chloé (Maurice Ravel)

. La mer (Claude Debussy)

. The Firebird (Igor Stravinsky)

. Schythian Suite / Alexander Nevsky Cantata (Sergej Prokofiev)

. Death and Transfiguration / Don Juan / Alpine Symphony (Richard Strauss)

Can anyone recommend a few classical pieces that most resemble the classic orchestral film score sound from the 70s-90s?

I'm a big john Williams fan and I have general interest in movie music, but I never been a big fan of 20th century and modern classical composers...

Well, many considers John Williams as being more "romantic" than modern in his style...

So here's some symphonic basic suggestions... more romantic suggestions :D

Bizet; Dutoit: L'Arlésienne & Carmen Suites

Brahms; Bogár: Hungarian Dances

Brahms; Karajan; The Complete Symphonies

Bruckner; Séguin: Symphony No. 4

Dvorak; Reiner: The New World Symphony

Mendelssohn; Karajan: Hebrides Overture & Symphonies 3 & 4

Schubert; Munch: Symphonies 8 & 9

Tchaikovsky; Jansons: The Symphonies

Tchaikovsky; Rostropovitch: Ballet Suites

Williams fans may enjoy this. The composer Peter Boyer credits Williams as one of the three main American composers as one of his major influences. You can definitely hear it in his Symphony No. 1 music as seen in this clip.

^

The LPO has a very pretty xylophonist. :wub:

Has anyone else picked up the recent Hilary Hahn / Cory Smythe album In 27 Pieces? It's a fascinating collection of specially commissioned encores for violin and piano by a wide range of contemporary composers including Mason Bates, Rautavaara, Mark-Anthony Turnage and even James Newton Howard. I highly recommend it. These are two of my favourite pieces on the album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njjy5W7fT8s

Not a new piece by any means, but I just discovered it last night (while attening a Moscow Philharmonic concert last night in Nottingham). I love it!

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

Ha-ha-ha-hardi-har-har. :lol:

Oh all that stimulating and penetrating of Wagner's Ring.

Alex Ross on why we hate modern music.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/nov/28/alex-ross-modern-classical-music

Oh it's pretty old.  I may have posted it before too. 

I couldn't agree more, and in honor of that, I'll post one of my favorite pieces:

Alex Ross on why we hate modern music.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2010/nov/28/alex-ross-modern-classical-music

Oh it's pretty old. I may have posted it before too.

I couldn't agree more, and in honor of that, I'll post one of my favorite pieces:

I need to explore Lutosławski more. Everything about the small amount I've heard, I've loved.

Check out some of his Chôros as well. Their lengths and orchestration vary wildly, but they're all worth listening to. For example, #1 is a short solo guitar piece and #11 is essentially a three movement hour-long piano concerto.

Try # 9 on for size (7 & 8 as well)