The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

Heh, should be interesting...

I did listening to that other recording of the Flor Peeters, and it's still not doing anything for me. Well it comes to tonal, fugal writing on the organ, Bach is my ideal. The clarity and sleight-of-hand appeals to me much more than this kind of reverb-heavy, unsubtle, boorish Sturm und Drang. Too much playing with all the stops out - not enough contrast in density, volume or tone colour.

Was listening to Nyman's Piano concerto on Spotify the other day.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's an interesting, if a bit strange work. Basically it's based on his material from The Piano with some playing around with of Scottish tunes. Has a great start, but once all the "My Heart Asks Pleasure First" stuff comes in, it becomes overbearing. Maybe it was just the performance I heard (by the RPO), which wasn't a very good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfEUm0vtPhE

I never really got into the concerto. It seems like a too sophisticated take on the deliberately simpler material from the film score.

MGV on the other hand, which was its companion piece on the original CD release, is one of my Nyman favourites. As are the pieces on his Concertos album.

I always keep mixing up the Sinfonietta and the Glagolitic Mass to a degree, even though one is choral and the other is not. But at least the Sinfonietta frequently reminds me of Goldsmith.

• 3 weeks later...

Janáček - Glagolitic Mass

That piece is one of my Desert Island Discs. Not sure which recording I prefer though...

Mike, could you post a couple of those obscure proto-Williams composers/orchestral works you referred to in that Howard Shore thread? You've got me hooked.

Incredible. It's a long-term goal of mine to conduct a performance of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN9Y3rSaqLg

This too of course. I lead a performance while I was a student (an interesting reworking by some acquaintances who switched the genders of the leading roles and did some rewrites to accommodate that), but I would love to do a big time, professional production.

Considering its obvious relation to film music, I'm surprisingly casually interested in opera. But there are a few that really get me going.

There are a lot already in this thread. I'll go back and quote some of them later, but this one comes to mind immediately, particularly the choral writing.

There are parts of Enescu's Suite for Orchestra, No. 3, “Villageoise”, that sounds like the groundwork for Williams, particularly the third movement "The Old Childhood House In the Sunset - Shepherd - Migrating Birds and Crows - the Vesper Bell".

I enjoyed hearing Richard Strauss's rarely heard Festival Prelude at the proms earlier this year. I hear bits of Franz Waxman and Arthur Bliss in there for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CTu7df9Avg

Yes, a very impressive piece that should be performed more frequently!! I love the Royal Albert Hall organ!

• 2 weeks later...

https://soundcloud.com/ericwhitacre/winter

Apparently it's the 15th anniversary of this piece. Listening to it for the first time.

It's beautiful. The second half captures the sound of Desh rather well, while retaining Whitacre's sound.

It really is, isn't it?

As someone whose studied South Indian music quite a bit, I'm always curious when contemporary composers try to blend elements of the East into their work. This one does it very well, the impressionistic elements that lead to those lovely portamentos near the end.

And yeah, I can hear the slightly Adam-esque vibe you're talking about.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely stunning. Especially the second movement.

I love how he wrote the solo after manodharma tradition while combining it with jazzy overtones (those blusy portamentos...yum!). And the way the orchestra tunes by just intonation, creates that intoxicating amorphous, meditative atmosphere, true to Indian tradition. The way he blends all these various styles and approaches...just wow.

Thanks Mike for the recommendation! I really need to get the score for this!