The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

Bet he's a fan of this too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcHXbAcXwDk

Lotsa good stuff tonight.

I love how into it this pianist is. There's nothing quite like playing in a chamber group.

I am very much enjoying listening to this monstrosity, Scriabin's Mysterium. I was at the premiere of this by Ashkenazy with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra and Chorus and was deeply moved by the luxurious sonorities of this music. Basically, something like a three hour long version of Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe and Schoenberg's Peallis und Melisande with some Szymanowski Song of the Night (Symphony No.3) mixed in. Yes it is excessive but excessively beautiful and powerful too! I prefer the interpretation of part 1 by Kondrashin but the audio quality isn't as good.

I want to give a shout out to Ernest Moeran's Symphony in g min. It is a wonderful combination of Vaughan Williams modality plus Ravelian color (or colour as the Brits say) with more than a touch of Sibeliun mythos thrown in:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIKTwMcn1xPPr8zGaDyyIrR9R3SDNMLXQ

(do listen to the entire work though it is too bad it is split across 7 links!)

I have this charming piece stuck in my head today. We played it one year back in high school symphony orchestra.

Did Morris also write a short piece for Percy's sister, Hermione?

Enjoying an old favorite I once sung in concert choir years ago:

That dynamic lift in the middle is just... heavenly. (For lack of a better word)

I would sing along to this movement from the Vespers... if only I could read Cyrillic... :(

The sheet music I sang with had both the original Russian text and the phonetic equivalent underneath each word.

I am a long time fan of the Czech composer, Vítězslav Novák (1870-1949). He nicely fills the void left after Janacek and has extremely refined structure in his music. For example, his tone poem, Lady Godiva, op. 41 (I'm sorry but can't find it on youtube though it is on spotify) is a perfect blend of Richard Straussian and Ravel luxurious sonorities but has a Germanic structural integrity which I adore. Think Richard Strauss meets Dvorak. A very fine introduction to his music is this excellent CD: http://www.amazon.com/Lady-Godiva-Profundis-Toman-Nymph/dp/B00004TD53

Felt like some Schubert lieder.

He would have been great in Broadway!

I'll finish it off with the Unfinished.

I really like this CD of Vincent d'Indy:

It is a mystical nature poem but inhabits a soundworld that is somewhat similar to Shostakovich's Symphony No. 11 (the icy opening adagio) and Germanic/post Ravelian impressionism such as Karol Szymanowski's Symphony No. 3. Note this is in three movements and only mvnt 1 is in the link.

First encountered this piece in my Music of Latin America class back in my days at Uni.

Always fun to listen to with the way that Revueltas creates that constant slithering feeling with the bass clarinet and pitched drums.

Love Revueltas. I'm convinced he's one of Alex North and by proxy Jerry Goldsmith's biggest (yet strangely ignored) influences. No other composer (maybe except Varèse) depicts the desert better. Mirages, scorpions, parched mouth, La Calavera Catrina, delerium, death.

Well, it's ultimately speculation that Revueltas was an influence on Goldmisth. He's only gone on record stating that Stravinsky, Copland, Rózsa, Herrmann, Bartók, and Berg were his biggest influences.

But now you've piqued my curiosity. What tell-tale signs in Goldsmith's work leads you to believe that Revueltas was his biggest (yet strangely ignored) influence? (i.e. which stylistic techniques do Revueltas and Goldmith have in common, and which scores can I find this in?)

Well, it's ultimately speculation that Revueltas was an influence on Goldmisth.

I meant Alex North--who's own sound (distilling a number of influences including Revueltas, Ellington, DSH, Copeland and others) influenced Goldsmith. In general I'm talking of Goldsmith's 60s and 70s sound (which is far from uniform, I know).

"Savage rhythms"? Interesting term.

Now I'm interested to know: based on what you know, what exactly constitutes a savage rhythm?

Perhaps my favorite L'Arpeggiata album. Don't know if this belongs here, in the Sacred Music thread, or in the Jazz thread...

Cool..put me right in the mood for this..

Check out the synth arrangement of Holst's Venus here. U-he might be my single favorite producer of music software, of any type.

http://www.u-he.com/cms/diva

Speaking of them, Sharky, you should give the Hive beta a whirl. It's too much fun.

Holy shit! Do you have the score for that (I don't)?

Speaking of them, Sharky, you should give the Hive beta a whirl. It's too much fun.

Thanks man, but my computer doesn't meet these system requirements.

Current PC or intel Mac

Multicore CPU with SSE2

(Sandy Bridge architecture or newer recommended)

Windows: VST2 compatible host software

Just to nag the old Pilgrim, here's a "structural sketch" of the first 3 min of Whitacre's Deep Field:

1263953_10153089986647229_44694999001665

Cool to see that he's taken after his mentor in his process.

This is my favorite live musical performance of all time, of one of my favorite pieces. The finale here is utterly transcendent. One of the strongest arguments for humanity's worth, this is.

Some amazing works by Samuel Barber (the list could go on)...

Prayers of Kierkegaard (this is simply epic!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kemoCE4jaxw

Piano Concerto (one of the best of the 20th century):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCWGzCEaDo8

Piano Sonata (the last movement, an extremely virtuosistic Fugue, is one of my favourite piano pieces in general):