The Classical Music Recommendation Thread

Muad'Dib

• 2 weeks later...

I recently visited the Troldhaugen museum (Grieg's summer villa in Bergen) and became inspired to learn this piece. A pianistic gem if there ever was one!

24 minutes ago, Loert said:

I recently visited the Troldhaugen museum (Grieg's summer villa in Bergen) and became inspired to learn this piece. A pianistic gem if there ever was one!

It's indeed a great piece! I urge you to check out all ten volumes of Grieg's lyric pieces. I once attended a concert at Troldhaugen with the pianist Einar Steen-Nøkleberg, probably the foremost expert on Grieg's piano music. He's recorded the complete piano works on Naxos, which of course include the lyric pieces in addition to other gems. Note that Grieg's penultimate opus, Moods (no. 73), is in the same style as the lyric pieces.

12 hours ago, Sharky said:

I love the "chirping" section starting at 14:39. In the Ansermet recording you can clearly hear the bells doubling the decending chromatic strings, which sounds so unusual it's almost like it represents some sort of hallucination (at 12:33 and 13:03):

27 minutes ago, Loert said:

0:00 - 6:04 is probably what Williams would have sounded like if he were writing action music 150 years ago (especially from 3:19).

It sounds like what Liszt sounds like if he were writing action music! I get what you mean though, I'm partly skeptical if JW would have thought of writing this back then. Thanks for the sweet link.

20 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Wait, weren't Liszt and JW contemporaries? :sarcasm:

They were both contemplory.

56 minutes ago, Loert said:

0:00 - 6:04 is probably what Williams would have sounded like if he were writing action music 150 years ago (especially from 3:19).

Raiders of the Lost Hunnenschlacht

1 hour ago, Loert said:

Ever so true! It's kinda uncanny, even.

On a related note, I always thought that the writing from 11:18 to about 12:12 is some of the most foreboding, shit's-about-to-get-real music I've ever heard. Maybe more in an auspicious way than in a bad way. The strings running scales, the flutes chirping away, the meditative pacing... I dunno, it's like the musical dawn to a day of glory.

On a beautiful Spring morning I listened to Britten's amazing Spring Symphony, such a special life-giving work.  Better than coffee!

The Finale is the definition of a joyful noise! 

March out, and show your willing minds, by twenty and by twenty,

To Hogsdon or to Newington, where ale and cakes are plenty

Anyone on JWFan listen to John Adams' "Roll Over Beethoven" yet?  Came out earlier this year.

I'm not sure I've really absorbed it enough to formulate an opinion after one listen.

Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 19.55.45.png

There's a recording available for the piece?

Cheers for the heads up Stu! Will check it out tonight. :)

The "Forest Scene" from Franz Schreker's DER FERNE KLANG (9:53 - 14:49) is one of the most gorgeous pieces of music I've listened to in recent memory:

I just love the constancy of the rising chords set against a constantly-shifting key center. It gives the climax at 12:53 a truly "force-of-nature" kind of feeling.

New album from one of the best contemporary American composers, Jonathan Leshnoff.

I listened to the Symphony No. 4 this afternoon and I like it *a lot* on first impression.  Full of vitality!

8.559809.jpg

We don't have a "The jazz music recommendation thread" but this could fit in here if we consider it classic JW.  Anyway, I just heard this lovely gem.  The whole album is a delight of very soothing vintage mid 60's jazz arranged entirely by JW and pal Andre Previn.  I really believe if the music after 2:25 was orchestrated accordingly could fit in any of the Star Wars scores.

It is not a stretch to hear this work composed in 1962 with the undulating strings at the start and hear Yoda's theme undulating strings too! 

6 minutes ago, karelm said:

We don't have a "The jazz music recommendation thread"

I’m the only one who’s been posting in there for like 6 months but we do!  I would love it more people participated!

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23892-the-official-jazz-music-thread/&do=findComment&comment=1608940

15 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Idea for experimental music composition:

Create a piece using only isolated samples of chair squeaks from orchestral recordings

I'm sure that one of Hanz' clones will do it for a future score, then Hanz will slow it down, take all the credits for it, and certain people will hail it as a work of genius.

Anyone else suspect that Jerry might've been an admirer?

7 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm sure that one of Hanz' clones will do it for an future score, then Hanz will slow it down, take all the credits for it, and certain people will hail it as a work of genius.

JWFAN is dire need of that eye-rolling reaction smiley.

:sarcasm:

On 5/10/2019 at 5:38 PM, SteveMc said:

The Norfolk Rhapsodies are probably my favorite RVW works, this side of the Oboe Concerto.  

If you're still into buying CDs (as I am), I suggest checking out Warner Classics 30 CD box of RVW's works. Overall, it contains very good recordings.

On 5/20/2019 at 7:16 PM, karelm said:

John Williams - Esplanade Overture (1981) reminds me a bit of the contemporaneous E.T. bike chase music.

He re-used the Esplanade Overture for the 1982 film score Monsignor.  Although I don't think the Pops played the Overture until after the film came out.

You can hear it at 3:24 in this compilation suite:

Was it even in the film Monsignor, or was that just something he recorded to pad out the soundtrack album?

55 minutes ago, Jay said:

Was it even in the film Monsignor, or was that just something he recorded to pad out the soundtrack album?

Someone who’s seen the movie will have to chime in!  I’ve only ever listened to the OST (and not often at that)

Sticking with the American theme, here's a piece by George Antheil.

I'm a BIG proponent of the 30s and 40s work of Antheil, which is unfairly neglected.

His Serenade for Strings is typical of this period.  Mostly playful and a bit ironic, but the second section is brooding and beautiful.

Antheil was a relatively prolific film composer through the 50s as well.  He was good friends with Alfred Newman and when Alfred had a son in 1955 named Thomas, Antheil composed a sweet little lullaby for the newborn baby :) 

"Berceuse for Thomas Montgomery Newman"

Are there any conductors or orchestras who make a point of ignoring/avoiding repetitions in their recordings? I really want to check out some things like the Mozart or Beethoven symphonies, but am sick and tired of hearing everything twice. I recently sat through Mozart's 40th in a live concert and the thing would have been twice as short and great had they not repeated everything.

Just listen to the recordings with the shortest running time on Spotify.

Some conductors, such as Marriner, make the repeats somewhat different in expression.

Older recordings usually adhere less to repeats.

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Are there any conductors or orchestras who make a point of ignoring/avoiding repetitions in their recordings? I really want to check out some things like the Mozart or Beethoven symphonies, but am sick and tired of hearing everything twice. I recently sat through Mozart's 40th in a live concert and the thing would have been twice as short and great had they not repeated everything.

But that's what the composers wrote...